Self introduction and hello!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Dhammavamsa

Self introduction and hello!

Post by Dhammavamsa »

Hello Dhammawheel forum!

Namo buddhaya. Really glad to found this forum.
Let me intro myself.
I am from Malaysia and been a Buddhist since 15 years old. My previous religion was Taoism mixed with Mahayana culture but later my family and I all embraced Buddhism. Wasn't really a pious Buddhist that time but I remember that one day when I read through Dhammacakkappavatana Sutta, it was like something kicking in my brain. And from that day onwards I am addicted to Dhamma and suttas.

Really glad to see many people here actively discuss about Buddhism and Tipitaka. Hopefully I can learn new things here too.
Ceisiwr

Re: Self introduction and hello!

Post by Ceisiwr »

Welcome :hello:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:08 pm Hello Dhammawheel forum!

Let me intro myself.
I am from Malaysia and been a Buddhist since 15 years old. My previous religion was Taoism mixed with Mahayana culture but later my family and I all embraced Buddhism. Wasn't really a pious Buddhist that time but I remember that one day when I read through Dhammacakkappavatana Sutta, it was like something kicking in my brain. And from that day onwards I am addicted to Dhamma and suttas.

Really glad to see many people here actively discuss about Buddhism and Tipitaka. Hopefully I can learn new things here too.
Wellcome to Dhamma Wheel.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Last edited by SarathW on Tue May 25, 2021 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

Thank you 😊

I hope can learn new things from you guys too. I have been reading all the posts especially Sarathw, doodoot, miken, ven. dhammanando, ceisiwr, bodom, jcsuperstar, and Bhikkhu pesala.

Those conversations really make me think more about Buddhism and more like "Vibhajjavadin" tradition.

Again, thank you for the welcome.
Deleted
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Welcome Dhammavamsa! :hello:

buddyjski

Post by buddyjski »

:hello: :namaste:
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:08 pm I read through Dhammacakkappavatana Sutta, it was like something kicking in my brain.
Amazing. It sounds like similar to the Venerable Kondanna, there was the realisation:
Dhammacakkappavatana Sutta wrote:
Whatever is subject to origination is all subject to cessation.

“yaṁ kiñci samudayadhammaṁ sabbaṁ taṁ nirodhadhamman”ti.

There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Let me intro myself.

Could you share your experience of why this Sutta was so striking to you please?
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

SarathW wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:25 pm

Let me intro myself.

Could you share your experience of why this Sutta was so striking to you please?
Well, nothing spectacular here though.

I remember the day when my family decided to choose a new religion, I was very confused and angry. I was quite attached to a certain Taoist god cult and also keen to Avalokitesvara (but it is rather folk religion mix with Mahayana bodhisattva worship practice).

When I heard my parents said converting to Buddhism is better, I was furious and sad because I was thinking:

"What is the use of this Amithabha religion? Chanting "Namo Amithabha" wouldn't get you anywhere. Just like those Christians selling heavenly promise to gullible ones. Amithabha Buddha is doing the same thing too. And then we need to be vegetarians."

You see, I was in the dilemma. Partly I believe in worshipping bodhisattva and gods could bring me peace. Partly I grew bored and doubtful on heavenly (or Sukhavati) promise by reciting mantras or hymns. Partly also because I have some unpleasant encounters with Mahayana Buddhists and relatives. On one side, they act like good people keep saying : "Namo Amithabha Buddha" and next moment they started to have verbal daggers and cursing around. That is why I was not happy with the decision made by my family.

But later on to my surprise, my parents brought me (I was just about 14 or 15 years old) to Theravada Buddhist temple (Thai tradition). I was thinking: "Why these monks dressed so funny?why they chant like this? What language is that? Why is the statue image is not of Amithabha? Who is the one they call 'Master'? Why their appearance are soothing to me? When I see those monks or bhikkhu, I feel happy and confident." Then I follow my parents to worship, do offerings etc.

Then by that time, my parents also know nothing about Theravada Buddhism except do offerings, meditate "Buddho, Buddho", and join daily temple chanting session. They did not go much into the doctrine and doesn't really interested. Then, we started to know who are we paying homage to: He was the Sakyamuni, the Tathagata, the original historical Buddha. :buddha1:

Then later on I read a lot of introductory books written by modern bhikkhus and they were all really helpful :) . Then, I understand why Buddhism basically is: Do Dana, take 5 precepts, celebrating Buddhist festivals and understand their meaning, sharing merits, do donation for the poor people, etc. But I was thinking: "All these are the things written by living monks. But what Buddha really taught? What is the main core teachings he wanted to convey to us?" Kinda bored with Buddhist celebration activities too, because the people greet us like those church goers. :?

There by some chance I got a book titled "What the Buddha taught" written by Bhante Walpola Mahathera and interestingly, the book contains some Pali Sutta translation texts. :thumbsup: I skip the book content and go to the Suttas. Among them, I read Anattalakkhana Sutta, but I don't understand it. I was thinking: it is not logic, eyes are eyes, nose is nose, how come Buddha said is not mine?! I pinch my nose, I feel pain, pain sensation is mine to feel. Not you." Then I read Sabbasava sutta, yeah be a good person and purify our mind, I think it is a common theme in religion. Then I skip it. :?:

Then I come to Dhammacakkappavatana Sutta. It was written that this sutta was the first ever discourse taught by Buddha. Then I remember I was like: " Wow, found it. The main and first message from Him to his followers."

Then I read the Sutta, comparing the translation with the Pali Text in my chanting book. After I read it about twice, I think: "Well, what Buddha taught is the Middle Path: Catu Ariyasacca and Atthangika Magga. Surprisingly very simple yet it is deep and profound like the oceans. The way He explained is like a doctor, a medical condition, causes of it, it can be cured, the medicine for it." Then I think: "Eyes are eyes, but they are subject to diseases, become old and blind, if I stab my eyes using pencil, they will be rendered unusable and blind too. The eyes will rot away too when I died. So, they just come and go. Subject to change, internal and external alteration. There is nothing truly belong to me. But the term "My" eyes is just language and not refer to real sense."

Then it comes to my mind: "This is it. I happy with this teaching of Sakyamuni. It gives purpose, meaning, goals and truth about life. Many years wasted since I was a small boy praying to Guan Yin or Taoist god for spiritual helps and life goals. Now Sakyamuni showed a true religious way. Suppose I continue investigate Buddha's teachings, then I can truly be happy and not wasting the time being here and now."

After reading the book, later that day I was doing some Pali recitation again and take 5 precepts wholeheartedly (previously was doing it with doubt, thinking that it was just a Buddhist custom) .

(But later then I realised that Buddha said "be your own refuge" but it doesn't contradict the previous statement. We take refuge in Tiratana, knowing that Buddha attained Supreme Enlightenment, the Dhamma is well expounded and truthful in every aspects, and Sangha is practising the correct way and worthy of offerings. Through these guidance, "I" can make it to safety across the Samsara ocean with "my" own effort. For the Buddha showed the Way, we make our own journey.)

So in short, Dhammacakkappavatana Sutta is really a "Start" button for me to truly appreciate the Buddha Dhamma.
Deleted
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

So in short, Dhammacakkappavatana Sutta is really a "Start" button for me to truly appreciate the Buddha Dhamma.
I am glad you find the Path you are looking for.
I got into Buddhism by learning Anatta teaching by reading "Buddha and his teaching" by Narada.
You can get a free copy by Google it.

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/buddh ... gsurw6.pdf
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

DooDoot wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:09 pm
Dhammavamsa wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:08 pm I read through Dhammacakkappavatana Sutta, it was like something kicking in my brain.
Amazing. It sounds like similar to the Venerable Kondanna, there was the realisation:
Dhammacakkappavatana Sutta wrote:
Whatever is subject to origination is all subject to cessation.

“yaṁ kiñci samudayadhammaṁ sabbaṁ taṁ nirodhadhamman”ti.

I wouldn't compare myself with the Elder AnnaKondanna. It is comparing a pathetic domestic housecat (me) with a majestic, sharp, strong Alpha Asian Tiger (venerable Anna Kondanna).

I'm still striving. I need to learn many things.
Deleted
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

SarathW wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:03 am
I am glad you find the Path you are looking for.
I got into Buddhism by learning Anatta teaching by reading "Buddha and his teaching" by Narada.
You can get a free copy by Google it.

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/buddh ... gsurw6.pdf
Thanks for the Pdf link. I heard this book is quite popular along with "Buddhism in nutshell" in Sri Lanka.

I hope after covid19, I can go visit Sri Lanka too.

Ayubowon. Theruwan saranai.
Deleted
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

I'm out. Thanks for the ride. May all attain happiness and peace.
Deleted