Hi, I am Venerable Pannadipa, a novice monk

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
DiamondNgXZ

Hi, I am Venerable Pannadipa, a novice monk

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

Dear all,

Greetings. I am a novice monk, 32 years old from Malaysia. I had seriously learned about the Dhamma since 18 years ago, obtained two bachelor degrees. One in Physics (from National University of Singapore), one in Buddhism (from Buddhist and Pali College Singapore).

I have a blog on Physics and Buddhism: physicsandbuddhism.blogspot.com for those who are interested in this field, welcome to visit, read then ask me questions if you still have some.

I was active in reddit, r/Buddhism as u/DiamondNgXZ, and in sutta central discuss and discover forum as Ng Xin Zhao.

Currently I am going though my first round of reading the 4 Nikayas for this rains retreat. Finished the long discourses, on middle now.

Question about the forum as I am new here: is multiple tread on the same topics not allowed? That is should we find the forum for the previous topic if we want to open a discussion?
JamesTheGiant

Re: Hi, I am Venerable Pannadipa, a novice monk

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Gidday Venerable Sir, Welcome!

Do you know Ajahn Thitavijjo? He is Malaysian, living in Malaysia now I think.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Welcome to the forum, Ven. Pannadipa. :anjali:

There are multiple threads on the same topic, but the sake of tidiness and ease of finding them it is better if people could stick to just one thread if they can. You can use the search function to find them.
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:16 am Do you know Ajahn Thitavijjo?
No. How do you tag people in this forum? @JamesTheGiant Do you get notification when I reply like this?
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:36 am
JamesTheGiant wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:16 am Do you know Ajahn Thitavijjo?
No. How do you tag people in this forum? @JamesTheGiant Do you get notification when I reply like this?
The @username doesnt work here, but quoting someone generally sends them a notification.
I'm impressed that you can still use Reddit and the internet while you're a monk because for me the sensual temptation is way too much on the internet! Well done Venerable. :anjali:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Question about the forum as I am new here: is multiple tread on the same topics not allowed? That is should we find the forum for the previous topic if we want to open a discussion?
:hello: Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.
I personally like fresh topics instead of using old topics because we change our views as we go.
However, I provide links to old threads sometimes if I think I have nothing to add or there is too much info to share with.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:45 am I'm impressed that you can still use Reddit and the internet
Haha. My internet is actually limited to 2h 15 mins per week. Then I could visit reddit, but I am inactive there nowadays. The whitelisted websites my monastery has for us to use 24/7 now includes the suttacentral forum and just recently added this forum. So I had been shifting my activeness.

Reddit in general indeed is very challenging, bad in the long term. I usually just hang in r/Buddhism, but some users have dangerous links to dangerous subreddits. Sometimes, it is better not to click on their profile to judge their level of Dhamma knowledge.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
DiamondNgXZ wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:34 am Question about the forum as I am new here: is multiple tread on the same topics not allowed? That is should we find the forum for the previous topic if we want to open a discussion?
Either is allowed. I look forward to reading your questions as you work through the Sutta Pitaka.

:anjali:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
BKh

Post by BKh »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:45 am The @username doesnt work here, but quoting someone generally sends them a notification.
There is actually a plugin for this forum software that would enable the feature:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... _mentions/

How about it @DNS? ;-)
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

BKh wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:49 am
JamesTheGiant wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:45 am The @username doesnt work here, but quoting someone generally sends them a notification.
There is actually a plugin for this forum software that would enable the feature:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... _mentions/

How about it @DNS? ;-)
What benefit would this feature add?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:34 pm
BKh wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:49 am ...
How about it @DNS? ;-)
What benefit would this feature add?

Maybe one can alert promptly: "SOS @DNS! The discussions are getting out of control, as usual!" :jumping:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:34 am Dear all,

Greetings. I am a novice monk, 32 years old from Malaysia. I had seriously learned about the Dhamma since 18 years ago, obtained two bachelor degrees. One in Physics (from National University of Singapore), one in Buddhism (from Buddhist and Pali College Singapore).

I have a blog on Physics and Buddhism: physicsandbuddhism.blogspot.com for those who are interested in this field, welcome to visit, read then ask me questions if you still have some.

I was active in reddit, r/Buddhism as u/DiamondNgXZ, and in sutta central discuss and discover forum as Ng Xin Zhao.

Currently I am going though my first round of reading the 4 Nikayas for this rains retreat. Finished the long discourses, on middle now.

Do you happen to know Ven. K Sri Dhammananda Mahanayaka Thera?

To me, he was a great Elder. All books written by him are very beneficial to laymen like us.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

Ontheway wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:02 pm
DiamondNgXZ wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:34 am Dear all,

Do you happen to know Ven. K Sri Dhammananda Mahanayaka Thera?

To me, he was a great Elder. All books written by him are very beneficial to laymen like us.
Not personally, my dad's generation might be his students. I was just getting interested in the Dhamma when he passed away, didn't know his impact at all at the time.