Hello Dhamma Wheel

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
ShanYin

Hello Dhamma Wheel

Post by ShanYin »

My name is Aaron. I am interested in Therevada Buddhism because I think it leads to a proper life of morality and inner peace.

As I seem to understand that Pali suttras are recognized as original, and I don't see much reason to believe this personally other than some sort of scientific dating done on the original scriptures or some sort of location in relation to the life places of the Awakened One. If you could see what I'm saying perhaps other suttras are not necessarilly authentic but are in accordance with the teaching of the Awakened One. But there is no need for me to go into analyses of different schools or comparison. :focus:

I play video games, guitar, I go for walks with my family, meditate, exercise, read, sleep, eat, shower repeat :thanks: those are my hobbies and time killers.

My experience living in my home town seems to be one of confusion anger, insensitivity, theivery, drugs and drug dealing, jail, lack of friendships and theistic religion and being arrested. My only release is through video games, music and sexuality and smoking ciggarettes. I have a place to live and not lots to complain about. I realize the mistakes I am making are letting strangers in my home, lending out belongings and money, smoking inside, doing drugs (which I have stopped recently and have been chanting the 5 precepts and going into a rage and wrecking my own property. Now :guns: that last paragraph or so sounds like alot of anger or hatred. Well I tell you I think I have explaining to do after some of my rather nonsense and even aggressive posts on newbuddhist and Dharma Wheel.

Interests:

Original Starcraft Brood War
Fantasy Novels
Envionmentalism
Taoism
Tibetan Buddhist and some Mahayana Buddhism
Theravada Buddhism (if you feel this is non of my business please let me know)
Psychology
The works and lectures of conspiracy theorist Jordan Maxwell (I used to be into 911/Truth conspiracies but now I'm not and I enjoy Jordan Maxwell.
World Issues (hunger, economics, politics and political theory.

Well thats all folks! :thanks:

My intention in this forum is to read things that I can respond to and to learn about the essence of the path to enlightenment.

May my words be words of tolerance, patience, love, kindness and non-harm and non- aggression.
DiamondNgXZ

Re: Hello Dhamma Wheel

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

May you spend your time here in a wholesome manner, stay out of trouble (not arrested), and walk all the way to Nibbana. Note that the reliability of users here doesn't correlate with the frequency or number of posts they make. You'll have to know the suttas, basic Buddhism well to judge.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
StrivingforMonkhood

Post by StrivingforMonkhood »

Be good! Be moral! Abstain from immoral behavior. Purify the mind. Then go beyond good and bad (more Mahayana...sorry). This is the Buddha's teaching.

May you fulfill your deepest wish for happiness.

Peace and enlightenment. :anjali:
May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness

We are already Buddha
teaflower

Post by teaflower »

I enjoyed working through the Noble Eightfold Path Workshop from the Buddhist Society of Western Australia on Youtube. It consists of 17 videos that are around 1.5 - 2 hours, but it doesn't feel like they are that long. Here is the link:

They also have an Early Buddhism Course: https://bswa.org/teaching/early-buddhis ... hn-sujato/
zakkenroller

Post by zakkenroller »

Hello Aaron, and welcome. I am new to this forum myself. It sounds like you might be younger? Rest assured that there's always a path to keep walking down. I'm forty six and am just starting to get interested in practicing seriously. I'm also trying to find a good tradition to settle into. I wish I had begun a more serious investigation of the dhamma thirty years ago. I can't say that I'm anywhere close to being knowledgeable here, but a focus on non harming, loving kindness, and the five precepts never did anyone any harm.

It's not a theravadan tradition, but I recently discovered Tonglen. Someone here could do a better job of explaining. Sitting and using my heart, and my breath to try and alleviate, or filter the suffering around me was a wonderful practice I tried the other day. https://www.lionsroar.com/how-to-practice-tonglen . (Perhaps there is a similar theravadan loving kindness or karuna practice?) Best wishes on your journey!
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

zakkenroller wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:18 pm
It's not a theravadan tradition, but I recently discovered Tonglen. Someone here could do a better job of explaining. Sitting and using my heart, and my breath to try and alleviate, or filter the suffering around me was a wonderful practice I tried the other day. https://www.lionsroar.com/how-to-practice-tonglen . (Perhaps there is a similar theravadan loving kindness or karuna practice?) Best wishes on your journey!
Tibetan Buddhist Tonglen was probably originally inspired by the Pali suttas and Metta (loving kindness) practice.
Here are some reflections about Metta on the website of Amaravati Theravada Thai Forest Tradition Monastery UK.

Dhamma Reflections – Mettā

.....and welcome, Aaron!

:anjali:
Last edited by Aloka on Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zakkenroller

Post by zakkenroller »

Thank you Aloka!
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

zakkenroller wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:12 pm Thank you Aloka!
You're very welcome! :anjali: