Hello!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
sibling

Hello!

Post by sibling »

Hi everybody :D

I was born in 1987 and grew up in the state of New Jersey, USA. I have a bachelor's degree in music composition. I've worked as an actuarial analyst, math teacher, and other jobs. Currently, I'm trying to become an apprentice electrician! I've been living in the state of Colorado for maybe 8 years, and now reside in the Denver area with my partner, our cat, and our snake. I used to be a semi-professional poker player, and once upon a time was a competitive Magic: the Gathering player. As my username may suggest, I don't identify as male or female (I am nonbinary). My pronouns are they/them/theirs.

I was raised in the Methodist church (protestant Christianity) and openly rejected the church when I was 12 or so. Around the same time I was going through some medical procedures that left me permanently disabled (too long a story to put here) and in a lot of pain. Having seen some sneak-peeks of the fallout from the coming opioid epidemic, I wanted to deal with my pain without opiates, and at the same time had been searching for a spirituality that fit for me. Around 14 I started meditating and around 16 I came out to myself as a Buddhist, having read a bit in some books, Buddhanet, and AccessToInsight. Experimenting with different meditation techniques, my ability to deal with pain grew to an extremely helpful level. In my teens (and still!) I was very aware of my preference for fundamental Theravada.

Most of my practice and development was solo. In college (in Pittsburgh) I had a Dhamma friend who introduced me to a Zendo and a Theravada monastery, but I didn't visit either very much. The Zendo was especially difficult as the teacher would frequently correct my posture, which was very difficult to maintain due to my disability.

My practice has always been important to me, but has ebbed and flowed over the years. A couple years ago I became interested in some of the modern USA Vipassana movement, read and listened a lot, and eventually joined a mindfulness teacher program. I grew distasteful of the program for a number of reasons, most importantly being my belief that the Dhamma should not be sold. My financial situation changed drastically for the worse (Covid-19) and I left the program, as it's administrators reminded me that I still owe them the full amount for a course I had not yet begun.

I'm at this forum because I want to learn and make more friends in the Dhamma. Greetings!
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Hello!

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

:hello: welcome to Buddhism. :thumbsup:

I'm sorry. I am just curious. You say we should address you using the word "they/them/theirs" since you're not binary...

I am not trying to play Devil's advocate but since you said
I was very aware of my preference for fundamental Theravada.
FYI, fundamental (or should I say Orthodox?) Theravada Buddhism acknowledged the nature of binary sexual classification. This is why within the Sangha community, we have Bhikkhu (male monks), Bhikkhuni (female nuns), Upasaka (male layfollowers), and Upasika (female layfollowers). And Buddha always uses phrase "male" and "female" in Suttas. And the term usage "asexual" is so rare but it refer to unfortunate humans that born without definite sex organs, or to mention the Brahmas in Heavenly Brahma realms (much higher than Gods' realms)

Are "they" comfortable with that? :embarassed:
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

The Buddha, in this as in many other things, adapted to the customs at his time. I am not aware of any Buddhist teachings that prohibit the use of other pronouns.

The Buddha also did not frequent internet forums, so this exchange here is highly non-orthodox. :D

Welcome to the forum, sibling.
_/|\_
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
sibling

Post by sibling »

Ontheway wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:16 am :hello: welcome to Buddhism. :thumbsup:

I'm sorry. I am just curious. You say we should address you using the word "they/them/theirs" since you're not binary...

I am not trying to play Devil's advocate but since you said
I was very aware of my preference for fundamental Theravada.
FYI, fundamental (or should I say Orthodox?) Theravada Buddhism acknowledged the nature of binary sexual classification. This is why within the Sangha community, we have Bhikkhu (male monks), Bhikkhuni (female nuns), Upasaka (male layfollowers), and Upasika (female layfollowers). And Buddha always uses phrase "male" and "female" in Suttas. And the term usage "asexual" is so rare but it refer to unfortunate humans that born without definite sex organs, or to mention the Brahmas in Heavenly Brahma realms (much higher than Gods' realms)

Are "they" comfortable with that? :embarassed:
I've been studying the Dhamma for 18 years, I don't need basic education on this matter :)

It is my view that the Noble Ones don't consider gender/sex in the same cultural way that the Canon and Vinaya were written in. To be clear, my view is that male/female labeling due to primary/secondary/tertiary sex characteristics is a cultural matter, not a matter of Dhamma. And I'm not interested in further dissecting this issue on this forum at this time. Maybe sometime with one of my teachers in private :)

While I've noted my pronouns are the singular gender-neutral (totally acceptable in English language, and even legally, where I'm living), I have not noted, as you suggest, that my expectation is that members of this forum will address me as such. It would be nice but would be a lot to expect, especially from people who are unfamiliar with the use of the singular they, and nonbinary culture at large. I'll be happy to be treated with respect, however folks are able to use the English language.

By the way, you use quotations around the word asexual, when it seems you mean intersex, which are different things. Babies born intersex are more common than most people think.

As a closing note, receiving a lecture regarding sex classification, under the guise of "curiosity" doesn't feel respectful to me.

I'm here to talk about Dhamma, not my genitals, my primary sex characteristics, my secondary sex characteristics, my tertiary characteristics. And I'm also not here to talk about the Dhamma regarding sex determination, Pandakkas, etcetera. At least not yet! Maybe some day far from now, if I feel comfortable.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Hi sibling, and welcome to Dhamma Wheel. :anjali: