Definition of the phrase "Excessive posting" (in ToS3j)

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Eko Care

Definition of the phrase "Excessive posting" (in ToS3j)

Post by Eko Care »

ToS 3.j. Excessive posting against core Theravada principles, including kamma, rebirth, the awakening of the Buddha will not be allowed except in great rebirth thread and other topics where it may be on-topic, but not in other areas of the forum.
Suggestions:
I suggest the following important (but simple) changes for ToS:

• 1) The meaning of the phrase "Excessive posting" should be "All the history of excessive posting".
    Otherwise anyone can post excessively one by one. (as usually happens from a long time)

Judging a user's behavior only by a single post of him is pointless.
(which is the post in consideration by a staff member at any give time)[/list]
His history of aggressive/bad behavior up until the present incident should be the measure.

• 2) A new point for ToS is needed which covers "Chasing" by an aggressive user or opposite-view-holder (or by a general user during a sudden aggressive mind-state).

Method:
Eliminating the Root causes is the only way. Removing the leaves doesn't work,
as obviously proven for years.

Victims:
This chronic problem affects the mentality of
  • Original Poster (obviously)
  • Attacker (always)
  • Other users (by seeing it)
  • Moderators (by seeing it / if reported / while discussing)
  • Admins (by seeing it /if reported / while discussing)
  • Newcomers: If a newcomer or someone who new to Buddhism visits such threads,
    he will find no threads he can read without any unnecessary aggressive debate,
    which is driving new people away from not only from the forum but also from the Buddhism.
retrofuturist

Re: Definition of the phrase "Excessive posting" (in ToS3j)

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Regarding your proposed new ToS element...

There are already existing measures on this site if there is someone you don't want to engage with:

- The board software's "Foe" function
- ToS2j which prohibits "Pressuring members to engage, despite them having already explicitly declined such engagement in the current topic"
- Good, old fashioned sense-restraint

Further, if someone's posts:

- Are violating the Terms Of Service, then report them (advising what ToS element has been violated)
- Aren't violating the Terms Of Service, then it's not a matter for staff to get involved in. Your interpersonal relationships are not ours to manage.

My suggestion to you would be that you actually utilise what's already available to you via the board software and the Terms Of Service first before declaring it inadequate. Do that, and if there's still an issue, then let us know.

Regarding your suggested amendment to ToS3j...

I'll leave that for DNS to address. That said, your suggestion, as defined, appears impractical because staff shouldn't need an encyclopaedic memory of every post made on this forum, catalogued by poster, simply in order to manage the board.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I don't think we need any further revisions to that rule or any others at this time. As always and as retro noted, you can still report a post you believe is violating one of the terms of service.

If someone is "chasing" you or bothering you, you could place them on foes list so that you don't see their posts. Or if you don't want to do that, not knowing what they are saying, you could just not engage with them, ignoring them.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Eko Care wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:38 am Victims:
Victimology below.
3. "He abused me, he struck me, he overpowered me, he robbed me." Those who harbor such thoughts do not still their hatred.

Dhammapada
Buddha-ology below:
The Abandonment of the Underlying Tendencies
I “Bhikkhus, dependent on the eye and forms, eye-consciousness arises; the meeting of the three is contact; with contact as condition there arises a feeling felt as pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant. When one is touched by a pleasant feeling, if one does not delight in it, welcome it, and remain holding to it, then the underlying tendency to lust does not lie within one. When one is touched by a painful feeling, if one does not sorrow, grieve and lament, does not weep beating one’s breast and become distraught, then the underlying tendency to aversion does not lie within one. When one is touched by a neither-painful-nor-pleasant feeling, if one understands as it actually is the origination, the disappearance, the gratification, the danger, and the escape in regard to that feeling, then the underlying tendency to ignorance does not lie within one. Bhikkhus, that one shall here and now make an end of suffering by abandoning the underlying tendency to lust for pleasant feeling, by abolishing the underlying tendency to aversion towards painful feeling, by extirpating the underlying tendency to ignorance in regard to neither-painful-nor-pleasant feeling, by abandoning ignorance and arousing true knowledge—this is possible.

II–VI “Bhikkhus, dependent on the ear and sounds, ear-consciousness arises…Dependent on the mind and mind-objects, mind-consciousness arises; the meeting of the three is contact; with contact as condition there arises a feeling felt as pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant…Bhikkhus, that one shall here and now make an end of suffering by abandoning the underlying tendency to lust for pleasant feeling…by abandoning ignorance and arousing true knowledge—this is possible.

MN 148
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
robertk

Post by robertk »

One way to avoid irritating posts in threads that you start is to choose the right forum to begin the thread. If you desire views from all then stay with General Theravada, if preferring to keep the topic with orthodox Theravada then Classical. And if wanting views that are nominal to Theravada go with Early Buddhism.