Guidelines for Early Buddhism subforum

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Coëmgenu

Guidelines for Early Buddhism subforum

Post by Coëmgenu »

I would suggest that discussions in "Early Buddhism" oughtn't be hairbrained personal theories but rather cite materials directly from EBTs and established scholars dealing with them. Obviously, "Early Buddhism" intersects with the period of the ~18 Buddhist schools, so these materials should be usable too, as well as literature addressing them. Lastly, a certain amount of leeway for comparing "Early Buddhism" to later trends would have to necessarily be in.

As it stands, the subforum has no clarificatory guidelines, which allows it to be hijacked by users with an agenda as to what they want discussed in the subforum, such as personal theories unrelated to "Early Buddhism."
Last edited by Coëmgenu on Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
SDC

Re: Guidelines for Early Buddhism subforum

Post by SDC »

Coëmgenu wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:08 pm I would suggest that discussions in "Early Buddhism" oughtn't be hairbrained personal theories but rather cite materials directly from EBTs and established scholars dealing with them. Obviously, "Early Buddhism" intersects with the period of the ~18 Buddhist schools, so these materials should be usable too.
I agree that some structure would help distinguish it from General Theravada Discussion.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
DiamondNgXZ

Re: Guidelines for Early Buddhism subforum

Post by DiamondNgXZ »