Extensive quoting is bad

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Inedible

Extensive quoting is bad

Post by Inedible »

It takes time and effort to trim down a large block of text when responding with a quotation. I know this. Even so, it really is worth the time and effort. A large thread can have the same huge blocks of words repeated many times with only a few lines of actual response buried in there somewhere. It makes for more difficult reading. Please take the time to be considerate by isolating the text you need to quote and summarizing whenever possible.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Extensive quoting is bad

Post by Sam Vara »

Inedible wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:03 pm Please take the time to be considerate by isolating the text you need to quote and summarizing whenever possible.
:goodpost:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

:woohoo:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Perhaps I am one of the culprits who do the quotes.
I am reluctant to give my opinion on matters in which I do not have firsthand experience.
Another reason is I personally do not like hearsay statements unless someone can support it with a source statment.
It takes time to find a source to make a quote and we should appreciate at least someone has taken a lot of effort to answer your questions.
I see very long quotes as answers and I do not read them and skip them.
I have seen people asking me the source when I make my own opinion, so it is easy to just quote the whole statement.
We can't spoon feed people all the time.
It took me almost seven years reading and listening day and night and I still do not have a clue about some teachings.
We have to accept quoting as another method of answering and appreciate the effort of the person.
:anjali:

Sorry, I could not find a quote to this question.
:tongue:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Aha, I found one!
College writing often involves integrating information from published sources into your own writing in order to add credibility and authority–this process is essential to research and the production of new knowledge.
https://writing.wisc.edu/handbook/assig ... ngsources/
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

Inedible wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:03 pm It takes time and effort to trim down a large block of text when responding with a quotation. I know this. Even so, it really is worth the time and effort. A large thread can have the same huge blocks of words repeated many times with only a few lines of actual response buried in there somewhere. It makes for more difficult reading. Please take the time to be considerate by isolating the text you need to quote and summarizing whenever possible.
I agree. It’s almost tiresome when people do that.
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

Could someone explain how you actually do this? I may have been guilty myself come to think of it.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Sarath,
SarathW wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:31 pm Perhaps I am one of the culprits who do the quotes.
I am reluctant to give my opinion on matters in which I do not have firsthand experience.
Another reason is I personally do not like hearsay statements unless someone can support it with a source statment. ...
The OP is not so much talking about quoting something like a sutta. They are talking about quoting a long post, and then writing one or two sentences at the end. Since the forum provides links to the previous post (as long as you quote it by using the "Reply with Quote" button, not by just copying and pasting!) it's easy to go back and read the entire post if necessary.

:heart:
Mike
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

mikenz66 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:04 pm Hi Sarath,
SarathW wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:31 pm Perhaps I am one of the culprits who do the quotes.
Another reason is I personally do not like hearsay statements unless someone can support it with a source statment. ...
The OP is not so much talking about quoting something like a sutta. They are talking about quoting a long post, and then writing one or two sentences at the end. Since the forum provides links to the previous post (as long as you quote it by using the "Reply with Quote" button, not by just copying and pasting!) it's easy to go back and read the entire post if necessary.

Mike
Oh, I see. Thanks.
Only today I noticed the up word arrow in the quote.
:D
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

It's annoying but i imagine it is difficult to moderate because you either clean up or go with warnings followed by some real measure. The only measure being expulsion i think it's a bit harsh and cleaning up after these people seems to be more harm than good as it shifts most of the harm onto mods who not only have to scroll but now go in to deal with it and people being upset about their posts being messed with. I think expressing one's dismay is the best course of action and i hope that people express compassion for others by putting a bit more effort into their posts. :goodpost:
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

SarathW wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:12 pm
mikenz66 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:04 pm Hi Sarath,

Mike
Oh, I see. Thanks.
Only today I noticed the up word arrow in the quote.

Incredible!
It takes well over a good eight years and nearly fifteen thousand posts, tho :shock:

oops ... i just whole-quoted.

𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Can you imagine how long it will take for me to realise Nibbana?
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

SarathW wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:03 am Can you imagine how long it will take for me to realise Nibbana?

May be just a short post like mike's, or just by keeping a well-balanced Autonomic Nervous System :lol:

MMK 24 v32
  • NISHIJIMA (Skt?):
    32. Even a person, who hasn't become to the same state as Gautama Buddha relying upon his own personality yet, Such kinds of Enlightenment can be got relying upon what is occupied.

Relying upon keeping the same state of balanced autonomic nervous system as Gautama Buddha actually, Such kinds of people will arrive at the Real Truth actually in future..

Anyway, you may already be in nibbana because you are already in samsara, according to Ven. Nagarjuna :smile:

V. Nanananda

V. Buddhādasa
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:00 am Incredible!
The link to quoted material was an upgrade a few years ago. It's very useful, because if someone quotes you (properly) you get a notification. If someone just writes:
mike:
Some nonsense...
I don't get notified... :cry:

Whereas if they do this:
mikenz66 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:03 pmSome nonsense...
I do!

Mike
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

mikenz66 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:37 am
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:00 am Incredible!
The link to quoted material was an upgrade a few years ago. It's very useful, because if someone quotes you (properly) you get a notification. If someone just writes:
mike:
Some nonsense...
I don't get notified... :cry:

Whereas if they do this:
mikenz66 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:03 pmSome nonsense...
I do!

Mike

Well ... that's very sensical. :smile:
    V. Nanananda

V. Buddhādasa