People you have on your ignore list should not trigger notifications

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Spiny Norman

Re: People you have on your ignore list should not trigger notifications

Post by Spiny Norman »

coconut wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:54 am
Spiny Norman wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:38 am
coconut wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:04 pm When people I have on my ignore list quote my comment, it triggers a notification. Any way to stop this from happening?
Under rule 2j of TOS, you can ask people not to engage with you in threads. Obviously that also means not engaging with them.
Thank you for this, although that rule appears to only apply to "current topic". Not across the board.
The first step is to politely inform the poster that you don't want to engage with them, and ask them not to reply to your posts. If you do that as a thread comment, mods will be aware of your wishes.
Personally I haven't found the ignore function very useful, given it's limited functionality.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Ionbuddy

Post by Ionbuddy »

Such a feature should be almost trivial to implement. However, if the site is more on the spaghetti code persuasion or there's some unforeseen bug then it might be more difficult.

The basic logic of notification goes something like this:

If you have made a comment and someone has quoted you,
then you will receive a notification.

All you need to do is add another condition to check whether you have someone on your ignore list.
Blocking content within a quoted thread is probably more difficult though, but definitely doable.
I still have defilements.
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

coconut wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:41 pm 2. Aversion doesn't mean ignoring people or removing something from your awareness. Aversion means hatred, as in having bad or cruel thoughts towards someone. There are plenty of suttas where the Buddha tells people, or demonstrates himself, to leave bad people behind, to leave noisy environments behind, he leaves crowded monestaries, tells foolish annoying people to stop following him around, etc.. this isn't "Aversion".
Well said.
Samana_Johann

Post by Samana_Johann »

coconut wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:04 pm When people I have on my ignore list quote my comment, it triggers a notification. Any way to stop this from happening?
Good householder could ignore it unless aversion, rooted in ignorance, comes up faster and gets not traced. (Householder would look what his "enemies" write anyway, so it's then actually easier to search for, or.)
Neither invited nor member of the community here, but the here given as received: Dhamma-dana
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

User1249x wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:27 am It's obviously a flaw that a user having opted to ignore another is to be notified of their activity.
Agree.
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

Under rule 2j of TOS, you can ask people not to engage with you in threads. Obviously that also means not engaging with them.
Can you give me an example of that?
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Kumara wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:23 am Can you give me an example of that?
It's article 2.j.
Pressuring members to engage, despite them having already explicitly declined such engagement in the current topic .
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

Dhammanando wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:46 pm
It's article 2.j.
Pressuring members to engage, despite them having already explicitly declined such engagement in the current topic .
I understand. I mean I'd like to see how it works out in reality, when the offending party persists.
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

I'm wondering. If someone is highly foe-d, say maybe by at least 10 ppl, wud the moderator check out this person to see if keeping him/her as a member wud add or minus value to this site?
coconut

Post by coconut »

Kumara wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:32 am
It's article 2.j.
I understand. I mean I'd like to see how it works out in reality, when the offending party persists.
It doesn't work. I told a member to stop quoting me and he continued to do so, the mods are probably too busy to keep track of everything. I don't think it's a good idea to rely on others to ignore someone, but also they say it's an issue with the forum software that it displays notifications from a blocked user. The only thing you can do is turn off notifications or simply stop feeding trolls.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

coconut wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:39 am

It's article 2.j.

It doesn't work. I told a member to stop quoting me and he continued to do so, the mods are probably too busy to keep track of everything. I don't think it's a good idea to rely on others to ignore someone, but also they say it's an issue with the forum software that it displays notifications from a blocked user. The only thing you can do is turn off notifications or simply stop feeding trolls.
It does work if you flag any futher replies following your request, and ask for them to be removed.
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

coconut wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:39 am
Dhammanando wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:46 pm It's article 2.j.
Thank you for that. It's what I expect actually. But you could actually report the person to the mods, by clicking on the exclamation mark icon of the offending posts.

As for the software flaw, it's something the admin can bring up to the developers.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Kumara wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:39 am I'm wondering. If someone is highly foe-d, say maybe by at least 10 ppl, wud the moderator check out this person to see if keeping him/her as a member wud add or minus value to this site?
I don't think obnoxiousness is covered by the TOS. 😜
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

coconut wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:54 am
Thank you for this, although that rule appears to only apply to "current topic". Not across the board.
Sure, but if you do it in one thread, people usually get the message.
Try it and see.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Kumara wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:32 am I understand. I mean I'd like to see how it works out in reality, when the offending party persists.
If the badgered member sends a message of complaint to a mod or reports the badgering post, and if the mod judges the complaint to be justified, then the badgering member will be instructed to desist. In practice they usually do so. If they don't then they're given warnings or suspensions.

It is necessary to complain though, for moderators don't keep a close watch on who's feuding with whom.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)