the lounge

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
salayatananirodha

the lounge

Post by salayatananirodha »

can yall bring back the lounge or no
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
Dhammanando

Re: the lounge

Post by Dhammanando »

It's technically possible to bring it back, but I don't see any good reason to do so. Do you?
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
salayatananirodha

Bhante:

dont get me wrong, there are pitfalls
its been my experience that i've been disinclined to talk with other buddhists sometimes because we are always talking about buddhism. and then i might seek out non-buddhists for talk about non-buddhism. but buddhists are great and i've learned good things from them even when its not directly related to buddhism. because buddhists are superior in the world. if i ever end up in a relationship i want it to be with a buddhist. idk if the lounge should return exactly how it used to be, but what do you do if you want to talk about non-buddhism that does not fall under 'wellness, diet & fitness' or 'family life and relationships'?
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
salayatananirodha wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:27 am what do you do if you want to talk about non-buddhism that does not fall under 'wellness, diet & fitness' or 'family life and relationships'?
Visit Dharma Wheel Engaged.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
salayatananirodha

i dont want to talk to mahayana and vajrayana etc i want to talk to theravada early buddhist etc, well mostly
thats why i dont go over there
it also doesnt look very active
also engaged buddhism is bad
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

I think Dhamma Wheel is much better without the Lounge. It seemed to get very divisive and chaotic after a while, which I don't think was a positive direction for the website.

:anjali:

salayatananirodha

what should i do to make friends with buddhists without talking about buddhism 100% of the time or should i give up not talking about buddhism
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

salayatananirodha wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:23 am what should i do to make friends with buddhists without talking about buddhism 100% of the time or should i give up not talking about buddhism
Maybe you could try chatting to one or two people using the PM system and see how the conversations evolve.