Like/Upvote/Heart Button?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
DiamondNgXZ

Like/Upvote/Heart Button?

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

It's not convenient to just post :goodpost: as a reply. If there's a button to allow upvotes, or hears like sutta central discussion forum, then it's easier to see what kind of contents the community prefers and what's not appreciated, allowing the forum to gradually move towards more quality posts.

Downvotes need not be implemented like in r/Buddhism, if you don't want to, cause it could be misused. I don't see misuse of an upvote button. Those who got more upvotes naturally got more encouragement that their postings are good and tend to stay here longer to contribute to more quality posts.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Like/Upvote/Heart Button?

Post by Sam Vara »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:02 am It's not convenient to just post :goodpost: as a reply.
It seems as convenient as any other icon. Just click, and it's there!
If there's a button to allow upvotes, or hears like sutta central discussion forum, then it's easier to see what kind of contents the community prefers and what's not appreciated,
True...
allowing the forum to gradually move towards more quality posts.
No. Allowing the forum to gradually move towards more popular posts. There's nothing preventing the forum moving towards more quality posts already.
Those who got more upvotes naturally got more encouragement that their postings are good and tend to stay here longer to contribute to more quality posts.
Those who got more upvotes naturally got more encouragement that their postings attract upvotes and tend to stay longer to contribute to more posts that tend to attract upvotes.
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:31 am
Let's see, the heart button is able to be clicked in one click. The :goodpost: sign here requires: 1 click for reply, 2nd click for :goodpost: , 3rd click for submit.

There's a form of mental barrier due to tripling the steps. And not a lot of people would want to keep on posting :goodpost: due to it crowding the discussion and thus making the whole topic seems much longer than it actual content is, discouraging future people to read and join in the discussion as it gets longer and longer.

By contrast, a one click button, which is available for all posts doesn't take up the space for discussions, people can easily and less mentally disinclined to click. Thus more people will click.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:46 am
Let's see, the heart button is able to be clicked in one click. The :goodpost: sign here requires: 1 click for reply, 2nd click for :goodpost: , 3rd click for submit.

There's a form of mental barrier due to tripling the steps.
Three whole clicks?! That's serious hard work. But there's probably a hell realm somewhere where there are five or six clicks, and the keys are a bit sticky! :lol:

I see you managed it three times in the last post, so please be careful about over-exertion.
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:13 pm

Three whole clicks?! That's serious hard work. But there's probably a hell realm somewhere where there are five or six clicks, and the keys are a bit sticky! :lol:

I see you managed it three times in the last post, so please be careful about over-exertion.
Haiz, it does make a difference psychologically, you'll know it if you join r/Buddhism or sutta central forums. For instance, I dunno if the general forum reader here likes my idea more or your sarcastic remarks more. There's no movement to go either way, perhaps more towards your side, since you're one of the mods.
shuka

Post by shuka »

IMO, Upvotes/likes are ok as long as they don't become distractions (gathering more votes could become a preoccupation or having many upvotes could result in false pride). Some forums have a thank you option underneath each post. If we learned something useful from a post and want to express gratitude to the poster for sharing their knowledge, a clickable 'thank you' option would do the job. But the "thank you"s received by a user must not be added and the total number should not be mentioned anywhere on a user's profile (i.e. each thank you is a standalone click and is meant to appreciate that post only).
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:16 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:13 pm

Haiz, it does make a difference psychologically, you'll know it if you join r/Buddhism or sutta central forums.
I have been on other forums. My point is that the difference in effort required to click on one of the icons rather than clicking on a "like" button is infinitesimally small.
For instance, I dunno if the general forum reader here likes my idea more or your sarcastic remarks more. There's no movement to go either way, perhaps more towards your side, since you're one of the mods.
And this is the more substantive point. All that "likes" means in this context is that someone could be bothered to click on an icon. There is no way of telling why they like it (maybe they like trainee monks, maybe they like moderators, maybe they enjoy sarcasm, maybe they have made up their mind on a topic long ago and just click on everything that seems to support it, or undermine it, etc., etc......and it certainly doesn't tell us, as you claimed earlier, that some posts are of better quality, or good. It just tells us that a certain number of people liked it at the time.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

See this previous topic:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33109

Especially:

SDC

Post by SDC »

I like that StC and DW are different and I value their respective formats. There’s nothing to be gained by turning them all into the same thing. Having said that, it is true that DW leaves itself open to a wide range of posts in terms of quality.

Forums in general are a dysfunctional medium, but what’s potentially worse than the current allowances here on DW would be a forum where the admins assume they know what right view is and moderate according to their own standard in that respect. At least here the admins and ToS are committed to providing a space for people to express views even if they are plainly wrong. Not ideal, and certainly allows for “poor unfortunate trolls” to grow big and strong here, but at least we don’t have to be told what Dhamma view to hold by those who run the forum.

I wouldn’t worry to much about those you think might turn out to be unpopular if we had a like button. Everyone keeps a button sorts in their own head and will grow to know who is or is not worth listening to around here. And chances are if you think someone is a clown a majority probably already feel the same way.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

DNS wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:38 pm See this previous topic:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33109

Especially:

Thanks for link! Couldn't find it before I posted. I can respect that this format then, after reading some of it. :goodpost:
SDC wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:02 pm I like that StC and DW are different and I value their respective formats. There’s nothing to be gained by turning them all into the same thing. Having said that, it is true that DW leaves itself open to a wide range of posts in terms of quality.

Forums in general are a dysfunctional medium, but what’s potentially worse than the current allowances here on DW would be a forum where the admins assume they know what right view is and moderate according to their own standard in that respect. At least here the admins and ToS are committed to providing a space for people to express views even if they are plainly wrong. Not ideal, and certainly allows for “poor unfortunate trolls” to grow big and strong here, but at least we don’t have to be told what Dhamma view to hold by those who run the forum.

I wouldn’t worry to much about those you think might turn out to be unpopular if we had a like button. Everyone keeps a button sorts in their own head and will grow to know who is or is not worth listening to around here. And chances are if you think someone is a clown a majority probably already feel the same way.
Thanks. It's just cultural shock then, for new users of this forum. Cause the only number we basically see of posters is how many post they have. There's an underlying tendency to relate active posters are reliable ones. Have to abandon that for this forum. :goodpost:
waryoffolly

Post by waryoffolly »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:07 pm Thanks. It's just cultural shock then, for new users of this forum. Cause the only number we basically see of posters is how many post they have. There's an underlying tendency to relate active posters are reliable ones. Have to abandon that for this forum. :goodpost:
Yes, this forum is the “wild west”. Be on guard.
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

waryoffolly wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:21 pm
DiamondNgXZ wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:07 pm Thanks. It's just cultural shock then, for new users of this forum. Cause the only number we basically see of posters is how many post they have. There's an underlying tendency to relate active posters are reliable ones. Have to abandon that for this forum. :goodpost:
Yes, this forum is the “wild west”. Be on guard.
:jumping:
SDC

Post by SDC »

You sure do. Means nothing here.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:02 am If there's a button to allow upvotes,
The Buddha literally says in the suttas it is a "rare" thing for there to be a person who understands his Dhamma.

Therefore, i guess this means the majority of votes will be indicative of wrong view. :smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

allowing the forum to gradually move towards more quality posts.
No. Allowing the forum to gradually move towards more popular posts. There's nothing preventing the forum moving towards more quality posts already.
I see it as making it unnecessary to quote an entire wall of text just to pin an emoji to it. That seems like an improvement in quality to me while also keeping new content in threads more accessible.