please change name: 'sakka'

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Inedible

Re: please change name: 'sakka'

Post by Inedible »

It is more common in Hinduism to name people for deities. It is a clever trick because people talk about people a lot, and they think about people when they are in trouble. There was a story about a man who was close with his son, named for a Hindu god. When he was dying he thought of his son and was saying his name. It counted even though he meant his son and not the god, and it allowed divine intervention in his situation. And the Hare Krishna people chose the name out of cleverness, too, because even if you say it just to make fun of them you still said it. I don't know if you can even find someone who has never said Hare Krishna at least once. It is said that this is enough as a bare minimum. A lot of women are named for Saraswati, but I just don't see us doing this in Buddhism. Like naming your kid Green Tara.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Inedible wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:03 pmI don't know if you can even find someone who has never said Hare Krishna at least once.
Some Nichiren sects have an eccentric doctrine called "dokku no en," 毒鼓縁, or "poison-drum relations." The idea is that the mere title of the Lotus Sūtra is powerful enough even to save those who recite it only to disparage. It's rather "out there," like the Hare Krishnas or those who believe that merely mentally saying Amida Butsu's name five or so times saves you. "Salvationist religion," as they say. They want to make life a party, a celebration, or endless sabbaths like the Sabbateans, perpetually celebrating their saved state.

Anyways, I'll stop posting off-topic. Apologies, all.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

It is out there now, so I Googled it.

I first heard about Namu Myoho Renge Kyo while working at a Subway. It was my first job after college. A homeless guy showed up from time to time late at night and he never had money. I'd make coffee for him, and he would talk about his form of Buddhism. He said he chanted the mantra every day and all his desires were fulfilled. I would have been willing to buy food for him, too, but all he would accept was the coffee. I had a hard time trying to figure out how a mantra to get stuff could be a Buddhist practice, but I figured he knew enough to make his own choices.

And it doesn't take very long to say Namo Amida Butsu a few times from time to time. Just in case. If you don't feel like doing it for yourself you can do it for your cat. Or for family members who chose the wrong religion.
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Sakka

SHORT FORM OF:
sákariarse

LANGUAGE FAMILY:
afro-asiatic > semitic > central semitic > hebrew
ORIGIN:
hebrew
NAME ROOT:
ZEKARYÂH / ZEKARYÂHÛ > ZAKHARíāS
NATIVE NAME ROOT:
ZEKARYÂH / ZEKARYÂHÛ (זְכַרְיָה) ZAKHARíāS (Ζαχαρίᾱς)
MEANING:
This name derives from the Hebrew “Zekaryâh / Zekaryâhû”, meaning “God has remembered”. Zechariah was an important person in the Hebrew Bible and traditionally considered the author of the Book of Zechariah, the eleventh of the Twelve Minor Prophets. He was a prophet of the two-tribe Kingdom of Judah, and like Ezekiel was of priestly extraction. In the New Testament Gospel of Matthew, Jesus is quoted as stating that Zechariah son of Barachiah was killed between the altar and the temple. Pope Zachary (679–752) was Pope from 10 December 741 to his death in 752. A new emerging bearer of this name is Zachary John Quinto (born 1977) an American actor and film producer.
KEYWORDS:
BIBLICAL / RELIGION (POPES)
https://www.name-doctor.com/name-sakka- ... 66862.html
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Lol! :goodpost:

Even if we derived the name from a Hebrew loanword into Kalaallisut, they could still be confused with "Yah."
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

salayatananirodha wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:12 am ok but what if someone named themself 'Buddha' would that be ok?
We have a rule (sort of) about using the name Buddha or Metteyya (3.h.).
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Coëmgenu wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:51 pm The user "Sakka," as you point out, is not Indra, and it is obvious that they are not Indra. Because it is so obvious, IMO there is no reason to request a name change.
Yes, this makes sense. We had a user who was named jcsuperstar. He obviously was not Jesus, so no one questioned that. He came from a very religious Christian family. Unfortunately, he passed away very young.
viewtopic.php?p=533002#p533002
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

DNS wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:07 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:51 pm The user "Sakka," as you point out, is not Indra, and it is obvious that they are not Indra. Because it is so obvious, IMO there is no reason to request a name change.
Yes, this makes sense. We had a user who was named jcsuperstar. He obviously was not Jesus, so no one questioned that. He came from a very religious Christian family. Unfortunately, he passed away very young.
viewtopic.php?p=533002#p533002
I only knew him on here for a short time but he was a really nice guy.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

On a side note, OP, you shouldn't exclude such possibilities. Why would non-human beings not--or be unable to--possess, inspire, or channel through some of the billions of people on the web--or, simply, create an account and use it, like we do? You could be reading, seeing or listening to a deva without knowing it, whether on the street or on the web. Some food for thought. Whole lot of possibilities out there.
Last edited by Mr. Seek on Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

DNS wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:04 pm
salayatananirodha wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:12 am ok but what if someone named themself 'Buddha' would that be ok?
Yes, that would be annoying. Also annoying is if someone uses a name that suggests that they are ordained, when they are now, but I have not seen that here lately.

Mike
48vows

Post by 48vows »

48vows wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:32 am There is another very big Buddhist internet forum, maybe the one of the biggest buddhist Internet forums where it is a rule that people can’t have user name that is the name of any deity or historical person
JamesTheGiant wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:05 pm What's that one? I think the reddit buddhist subs are the most active buddhist forums in the world, tens of thousands of people contributing, and half a million readers. . Mostly adhamma and wrongness unfortunately! It's like a wild hurricane of nonsense there. :toast:
bskk.com, but I probably shouldn't have said maybe one of the biggest, because how can that be measured ? number of registered users? number of regular users? number of readers? number of posts ? (they had 2300 posts yesterday)

Anyways, that is one of the rules, I don't know if that one matters much, but they have some other interesting rules that I think are very good. Some of their rules are basicly the same as this wheel. There are some others too though, some of which I would encourage for this wheel and some of which I would encourage for the other wheel.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

mikenz66 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:19 pm
DNS wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:04 pm
Yes, that would be annoying. Also annoying is if someone uses a name that suggests that they are ordained, when they are now, but I have not seen that here lately.

Mike

imo, typo, "when they are not".

:heart:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:07 am imo, typo, "when they are not".
:computerproblem:
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

Inedible wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:03 pm Like naming your kid Green Tara.
My Buddhist friend couple named their newborn as Tara.
JamesTheGiant wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:05 pm
48vows wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:32 am There is another very big Buddhist internet forum, maybe the one of the biggest buddhist Internet forums ...
What's that one? I think the reddit buddhist subs are the most active buddhist forums in the world, tens of thousands of people contributing, and half a million readers. . Mostly adhamma and wrongness unfortunately! It's like a wild hurricane of nonsense there. :toast:
Well, if you stay in r/Buddhism long enough, you'll see the few who gives good comments, then just take note of those, ignore the rest of those who knows little but speak out anyway. Oftentimes when I comment on a post in there, I just make sure that at least one of the answer is the model answer, if there is one, I don't need to comment. Sometimes or often times the like system doesn't shift out the model answer.

Anyway, at least there are model answers in there.
sakka

Post by sakka »

sakka was or is a stream enterer, worthy of respect. and i'm not sure all of 'sakka''s posts live up to the name
I haven't logged in here for a while, this thread that I haven't even seen until today regarding my choice of username is hilarious! :D

I chose the name Sakka since it has a buddhist connotation here on a buddhist forum. My posts, as you mention, can't live up to the name Sakka.

If it is possible the admins/moderators can change the current name to Asakka instead - no worries. :) Is it possible admins?

Why haven't I logged in here for a while?
Well now I realize that it is:
*ok to break the 4th precept here,
*that it is ok to deny rebirth,
*ok to deny non-human beings existence,
*ok to deny other planes of existence etc.
*ok to claim that some suttas are fake
*or claim that the Buddha was Sri Lankan
*or that real experiences one has had are mere hallucinations…The list is endless… :toast:

It also ok to post ”hidden” racist comments & remarks here and there, ok to sympathize with hitler/mussolini on this forum and oh yeah even a pedophile is active on this forum starting threads…! :toilet:

But these things above do no damage to the Buddha-Dhamma at all or DW, it is that I chose a name based on affinity for Shango/Thor/Zeus/Indra in a buddhist context and my silly, below average posts with zero insight that is really stirring up the emotions, all that other stuff above that I mentioned is clearly ok… :rules:

/Asakka
Last edited by sakka on Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.