theravada symbolism

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
delf7

theravada symbolism

Post by delf7 »

hello all. i am due for a new tattoo and i wanted to go with something symbolic of my newfound buddhist path. was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? i will be adding to an arm that currently has a lightning bolt on it, so if there is anything that would tie in with lightning, that'd be cool.
any links to graphics i can brouse? thanx.
delf
David2

Re: theravada symbolism

Post by David2 »

or

or...

... you just save the money and donate it to a monastery or something (what I personally would recommend :smile: ).
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

delf7 wrote:hello all. i am due for a new tattoo and i wanted to go with something symbolic of my newfound buddhist path. was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? i will be adding to an arm that currently has a lightning bolt on it, so if there is anything that would tie in with lightning, that'd be cool.
any links to graphics i can brouse? thanx.
delf
Why? what does it prove?
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
delf7

Post by delf7 »

what does what prove? i am not trying to prove anything. i like tattoos and am thinking of getting another.
i thought something to celebrate & symbolize my new path would be nice. is there a problem with body art?
i could see how one might say a tattoo is adornment, and i suppose it is, but in my case, i was inked long before i became buddhist, so it's a little late to worry about that now, isn't it?
i was looking for suggestions, not an argument.
kind regards,
delf
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Theravada has a lot less visual symbolism than Vajrayana or Mahayana. Whatever symbols Theravada does have (the lotus, the wheel, etc) is likely to be common to all forms of Buddhism.. I can't think of anything specifically Theravadin.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

I'd like to see the lightning bolt to which you refer; it seems to me that most of the related imagery is going to reflect Vajrayana symbolism, but I'm certain there are ways to work around it. Is it stylized, or natural and organic, or what? Perhaps you get a Bodhi tree and a nondescript monk in yellow robes under it, as part of a larger sleeve, for example.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Have a look at Tibetan motifs, and Buddhist art in general, but I think what you may want could be found easily in Tibetan art.
The symbols all look similar anyway so cross tradition art is no bother, but you may want to look at my Caligraphy which has incorporated some symbols.

but if you are looking to get a new tattoo (I am thinking about a new one also) Try to wait for your faith to mature more, and you know this is the path for you, you may end up regreting the decision later for some reason. plus it gives you plenty of time to get to know the art and the style you prefer and the tradition you feel comfortable with.........
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

delf7 wrote:what does what prove? i am not trying to prove anything. i like tattoos and am thinking of getting another.
i thought something to celebrate & symbolize my new path would be nice. is there a problem with body art?
No, not an argument on the merits of body art. If you have to ask what symbol to use then obviously no symbol has become meaningful for you yet, if no symbol has become meaningful for you yet then is there any point engraving something suggested by someone else permanantly on your skin.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

No, not an argument on the merits of body art. If you have to ask what symbol to use then obviously no symbol has become meaningful for you yet, if no symbol has become meaningful for you yet then is there any point engraving something suggested by someone else permanantly on your skin.
Oh please. There's no need to give someone a hard time for asking about Buddhist symbols.
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
chownah

Post by chownah »

How about this:

ARIYA-VAMSA
Any Old Tattoo
Will do
Sadhu Sadhu Sadhu

With the "ARIYA-VAMSA" arching over the top and the three sadhu's underarching on the bottom......you could surround the entire thing with lightening or work it in as underlineing for emphasis or whatever other embellishment you like!!!
chownah
SamBodhi

Post by SamBodhi »

Lately, I have noticed that a lot of different Dhamma sites use this symbol of a leaf. Here is the google search results for "Bodhi Leaf," which I think is what it is called...maybe.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bo ... l644l9l9l0

Anyway, I think that my taste is different than most (and it's not my body), but I think that this leaf would actually be sort of cool next to a lightning bolt. If it is done well, it would be an interesting motif.

with metta
"An inward-staying
unentangled knowing,
All outward-going knowing
cast aside."
--Upasika Kee Nanayon
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I personally don't care for tattoos for myself, but have no problem with seeing them on others. It is an art; just as some might like Picasso and others might prefer Salvador Dali.

For tattoos, the Dhamma Wheel would be cool, as suggested above. Or perhaps one or more Pali words written in Deavanagari script or some other script. See the Pali sub-forum here for some examples.
delf7

Post by delf7 »

thank you all for the suggestions, and thank you too, goofaholix, for your comments. you bring up a good point, but no, i wasn't going to rush right out tomorrow and get some ink based on the best suggestion of the day. i will, as always, put alot of thought into it, which is why i was asking for input. and i have recieved alot of GOOD input. thank you all.
metta,
delf
delf7

Post by delf7 »

Cittasanto wrote:Have a look at Tibetan motifs, and Buddhist art in general, but I think what you may want could be found easily in Tibetan art.
The symbols all look similar anyway so cross tradition art is no bother, but you may want to look at my Caligraphy which has incorporated some symbols.

but if you are looking to get a new tattoo (I am thinking about a new one also) Try to wait for your faith to mature more, and you know this is the path for you, you may end up regreting the decision later for some reason. plus it gives you plenty of time to get to know the art and the style you prefer and the tradition you feel comfortable with.........
where would i see your caligraphy?
delf7

Post by delf7 »

pung S wrote:Lately, I have noticed that a lot of different Dhamma sites use this symbol of a leaf. Here is the google search results for "Bodhi Leaf," which I think is what it is called...maybe.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bo ... l644l9l9l0

Anyway, I think that my taste is different than most (and it's not my body), but I think that this leaf would actually be sort of cool next to a lightning bolt. If it is done well, it would be an interesting motif.

with metta
thank you for the link. i like the idea of the leaf. i agree with you that the soft nature of the leaf along with the strength of the lightning bolt might be nice. thanks again.
metta,
delf