A Burning Question...

If you wish to partake in casual "off-topic" discussion amongst spiritual friends, please do so in the Lounge at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
Quinn

A Burning Question...

Post by Quinn »

Hi everyone,
So if its true the time is money, then does it follow that ATMs (AutoMatic Teller Machines) are time machines?
:buddha2:
May the power of the Buddha be with you!!!
Reductor

Re: A Burning Question...

Post by Reductor »

I didn't know time equaled money. Me thinks you had better provide a sutta reference. ;)

Once that is established, you question will easily be answered.
GraemeR

A Burning Question...

Post by GraemeR »

Quinn wrote:Hi everyone,
So if its true the time is money, then does it follow that ATMs (AutoMatic Teller Machines) are time machines?
Second precept:

2. I undertake to abstain from taking what is not willingly given. Adinnādānā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi. (Is this a good translation?)

If the machine has no will, is it willingly given? Should we refuse it? :D

Graham (feeling flippant)
David2

Post by David2 »

GraemeR wrote: If the machine has no will, is it willingly given?
The ATM only gives us money, if we have money in the bank account (or only very few debt).
The numbers in the bank account are the representation of the will of the society.

So yes, if the ATM gives us money, society is willing us to have it. :spy:
Fede

Post by Fede »

Well, as i never seem to have enough time to do anything, i can see the logic in your question....
When i go to an ATM, I can't get any time out of that at all - so i don't travel much.
Other than on foot.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yana

Post by Yana »

yes ofcourse they are.i'm suprised you didn't know this by now.. :|
Life is preparing for Death
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Quinn,
Yes, ATMs are time machines. If you consider that most people earn money by working, then the money they get from an ATM represents time worked. It is also a "time machine" in the sense that if you use the money to purchase goods or services that save you time, then you are purchasing time otherwise spent doing the mowing, the gardening, housework or some other activity.
kind regards,

Dad
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Quinn,
Quinn wrote:So if its true the time is money, then does it follow that ATMs (AutoMatic Teller Machines) are time machines?
Cheeky... just like your brother. :tongue:

Good stuff.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

"Overcome the liar by truth." (Dhp 223)