Monks in private jets pass test

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
forestmat

Re: Monks in private jets pass test

Post by forestmat »

This is the lounge after all...

here's the Bangkok Post's latest take on things:

Monk gone, money gone

The photos show a Luang Pu Nen Kham medallion, left, and a fake mocking the disgraced monk. (Facebook photos)

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/3 ... nk-acounts
Hartridge Buddhist Monastery, Devon, England
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

I hope he is forced to pay child support for his many children, but I hope that money does not come from donations given to the Sangha and stolen by this disgraceful man.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

forestmat wrote:@Bankei - Aj Yantra as he was known is still around - in fact saw him on a video clip just the other day sporting a long beard and wearing dull orange/brown robes. Somewhere in Florida I believe?

I remember the fuss in the newspapers back in 1994/1995 when the stories of his sexual exploits came to light.
Wow, long beard and robes!

Would you have a link to the video?
Thanks forestmat
-----------------------
Bankei
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

The "world's largest Emerald Buddha image replica" at Si Sa Ket's Wat Pa Khanthitham was found yesterday it was not made of jade.
Disrobed monk Wirapol Sukpol, better known as Luang Pu Nenkham, claimed the green concrete figurine was made of Indian jade. The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) officials found this during their gathering of evidence for public fraud charges against Wirapol.

Meanwhile, Wirapol has 30 days to appeal in person against the Si Sa Ket monastic council's ruling to oust him from monkhood for reportedly having a sexual relationship with a woman - otherwise the judgement would be final, Office of National Buddhism chief Nopparat Benjawatananun said yesterday.

He insisted Wirapol's claim to be transferred to the supervision of an overseas temple would still leave him an unsupervised monk because temples overseas were not under Thai law or the Buddhist Order Act.

Songkran Atchariyasap, who heads the "Facebook network against acts that destroy the nation, religion and the royal institution" yesterday submitted Wirapol's brochures to raise money donations to the Anti-Money Laundering Office to investigate financial transactions and fraudulent activities by Wirapol's network.

He said the network comprised more than 20 people including businessmen and a former national politician.
-----------------------
Bankei
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Naughty bhikkhus.

How about some stories about monks who are doing the right things.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
forestmat

Post by forestmat »

tiltbillings wrote:Naughty bhikkhus.

Although as I am sure you have read this case is rather more serious than just a "Naughty bhikkhus" case, with allegations of sex with a minor (a girl aged 14) and misappropriation of some 300m Baht (approximately £6.5 million)
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

forestmat wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Naughty bhikkhus.

Although as I am sure you have read this case is rather more serious than just a "Naughty bhikkhus" case, with allegations of sex with a minor (a girl aged 14) and misappropriation of some 300m Baht (approximately £6.5 million)
I realize the case is rather more serious than "naughty bhikkhus." While it is not that such things should not be looked at, I wonder when the "looking at" crosses a line into something else a little less than wholesome.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Bankei wrote:
forestmat wrote:@Bankei - Aj Yantra as he was known is still around - in fact saw him on a video clip just the other day sporting a long beard and wearing dull orange/brown robes. Somewhere in Florida I believe?

I remember the fuss in the newspapers back in 1994/1995 when the stories of his sexual exploits came to light.
Wow, long beard and robes!

Would you have a link to the video?
Thanks forestmat
Ex-Ajahn Yantra still alive and kicking in the Land of Endless Opportunities (America) in 2013:
Attachments
Ajahn Yantra USA 2013.jpg
Ajahn Yantra USA 2013.jpg
Ajahn Yantra USA 2013.jpg (34.45 KiB) Viewed 17375 times
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

Oh, that is Yantra! I have seen photos of this santa clause like monk before and didn't realise it was him.

Thank Bhante.
-----------------------
Bankei
forestmat

Post by forestmat »

Fact (as opposed to gossip):

The Criminal Court has approved a warrant for the arrest of unfrocked monk Wirapol Sukphol, formerly known as Luang Pu Nen Kham Chattiko, Department of Special Investigation (DSI) chief Tarit Pengdith said on Wednesday.

The warrant cites three charges - violation of the Computer Crimes Act, deceiving the public, and having sex with a girl under 15 years of age.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/3 ... a-fugitive
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Haha thank you for posting that photo Bhante.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

The reaction from Ajahn Brahm, on minute 27:54

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

suriyopama wrote:The reaction from Ajahn Brahm, on minute 27:54
Thanks.

chownah

Post by chownah »

I watched the Ajahn Brahm video and near the end he asks for one last question only because if he stays much longer he will be stuck in traffic and not arrive at his next stop in time.....

I think if we all chipped in we could probably buy a helicopter for him so he could avoid the traffic snarls......good idea???!!,!........
chownah
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

He had to go to Samut Prakan (another province) to run a 4 days meditation retreat called "Happines Retreat". That retreat has been one of the best investments of my time that I have ever made. If I had an helicopter I would give it to him ;)