Arthur C Clarke - Fractals: the colour of infinity

If you wish to partake in casual "off-topic" discussion amongst spiritual friends, please do so in the Lounge at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
Ben

Arthur C Clarke - Fractals: the colour of infinity

Post by Ben »

If you have just under an hour, the following documentary on fractal geometry is worthwhile.

Enjoy.

B
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
SarathW

Re: Arthur C Clarke - Fractals: the colour of infinity

Post by SarathW »

Thanks Ben.
I like the meditation Buddha in the middle! :)

See how far we came now with this knowledge.
===========
What do movie special effects, the stock market, heart attacks and the rings of Saturn have in common?
They all consist of fractals, irregular repeating shapes found in cloud formations,tree limbs, stalks of broccoli and craggy mountain ranges and even in the human heart.
Discovered by mathematician Benoit Mandelbrot, they are the architecture used by nature.
===============
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmxJ1KDR_s0
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Thanks, Ben.

I haven't watched it yet but, meanwhile, take a trip through the "Mandelbulb", the 3D version of the Mandelbrot set:

"He turns his mind away from those phenomena and, having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' " - Jhana Sutta
JohnWB

Post by JohnWB »

That was a great documentary. The connection between fractals and nature was something I'd never heard or thought about.
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Modus.Ponens wrote:Thanks, Ben.

I haven't watched it yet but, meanwhile, take a trip through the "Mandelbulb", the 3D version of the Mandelbrot set:
Nice!
I played with 2D fractals, on and off, for months - around the time desktop computers got fast enough to draw them, so I'm really impressed by the technology as well as the object.

:namaste:
Kim
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Thank you, Ben.

There is something similar in an early Mahayana Buddhist scripture called the Flower Ornament. The following quote is from Dan Leighton, a Zen teacher and scholar describing a story of one of the patriarchs of the Flower Ornament school in China (boldface mine):
Another time, Fazang illustrated the Huayan teachings for Empress Wu by constructing a hall of mirrors, placing mirrors on the ceiling, floor, four walls, and four corners of a room. In the center he placed a Buddha image with a lamp next to it. Standing in this room, the empress could see that the reflection in any one mirror clearly reflected the reflections from all of the other mirrors, including the specific reflection of the Buddha image in each one. This fully demonstrated the unobstructed interpenetration of the particular and the totality, with each one contained in all, and with all contained in each one. Moreover, it showed the nonobstructed interpenetration of each particular mirror with each of the others.

A frequently cited expression of this vision of reality is the simile of Indra’s Net from the Avatamsaka Sutra, which was further elaborated by the Huayan teachers. The whole universe is seen as a multidimensional net. At every point where the strands of the net meet, jewels are set. Each jewel reflects the light reflected in the jewels around it, and each of those jewels in turn reflects the light from all the jewels around them, and so on, forever. In this way, each jewel, or each particular entity or event, including each person, ultimately reflects and expresses the radiance of the entire universe. All of totality can be seen in each of its parts.
_/|\_
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

[insert obligatory reference to Godel, Escher, Bach here]

:tongue:
Kim