Actor Robin Williams dies of suicide at 63

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
rolling_boulder

Actor Robin Williams dies of suicide at 63

Post by rolling_boulder »

What an unfortunate turn of events.
http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/#!/content/1.2733770
It really can happen at any time...
The world is swept away. It does not endure...
The world is without shelter, without protector...
The world is without ownership. One has to pass on, leaving everything behind...
The world is insufficient, insatiable, a slave to craving.
Sokehi

Re: Actor Robin Williams dies of suicide at 63

Post by Sokehi »

http://youtu.be/n16o2TYpKyQ

I've smiled many times in my life due to his works. :namaste:
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

RIP :candle:
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
Ben

Post by Ben »

The news reports in Australia indicate that Williams died from suicide by asphyxiation.
Apparently he had suffered from depression.
Such a shame. May he be reborn in a pleasant realm and come in contact with the Dhamma.
I dedicate my merits to him and his family.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Sokehi wrote:http://youtu.be/n16o2TYpKyQ

I've smiled many times in my life due to his works. :namaste:
Likewise. His stand-up event in Washington DC was absolutely hilarious. And who can forget Mrs. Doubtfire?

:candle:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Tex

Post by Tex »

Very saddened by this. I really enjoyed his work, especially in Good Will Hunting.

It's remarkable that he was able to touch so many people in spite of the darkness he was battling himself.

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Suicide and asphyxiation together usually means death by hanging.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
phil

Post by phil »

Tex wrote:Very saddened by this. I really enjoyed his work, especially in Good Will Hunting.

It's remarkable that he was able to touch so many people in spite of the darkness he was battling himself.

Yes the scene in which he repeated to Will Hunting again and again, "it's not your fault, it's not your fault," studying the Dhamma tells us that as well.

I lost my dearest old friend to suicide related to depression and substance abuse this spring and it made me realize at the time that we always have to reach out to take care of friends who we know may be suffering. Even if we have grown apart through time or geography and even if we think it might not be cool to reach out or whatever...

phil
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
sattva

Post by sattva »

phil wrote:
Tex wrote:Very saddened by this. I really enjoyed his work, especially in Good Will Hunting.

Yes the scene in which he repeated to Will Hunting again and again, "it's not your fault, it's not your fault," studying the Dhamma tells us that as well.

I lost my dearest old friend to suicide related to depression and substance abuse this spring and it made me realize at the time that we always have to reach out to take care of friends who we know may be suffering. Even if we have grown apart through time or geography and even if we think it might not be cool to reach out or whatever...

phil
Well said, Phil!

I think what made him so talented is fundamentally intertwined with his emotional problems. He must have had a hard battle his entire life. I hope his karma will unfold to allow more peacefulness, even if it means less greatness.
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Sad news of his death.
All compounded things are impermanent.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

Farewell to the next life Captain my captain, I'll dedicate merit today and wish him a good rebirth - his art made many people happy and made many people think :candle:

http://youtu.be/qSjxkbe_Vr4

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

An exceptional performance. He'll be greatly missed.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

"You don't know about real loss because it only occurs when you've loved something more than you love yourself. I doubt you've ever dared to love anybody that much." - Sean Maguire, Good Will Hunting (1997)

It's just utterly tragic that there are so many eulogies and sentiments being published everywhere, for Robin Williams, and yet, with all the love, kindness, support and affection everybody had for him, it was still not enough to prevent this awful thing from happening.
If you love someone, tell them. If you know someone is going through a dreadful time, be there for them. If you can, with one ounce of compassion, demonstrate to someone that life is NOT futile, show them. And above all, remember: The happiest smiles sometimes hide the most tortured souls. If someone seems ALWAYS happy - don't necessarily believe they are.
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

A wonderful and thoughtful compassionate post, NSBuddhist. Thank you :anjali:

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

lyndon taylor wrote:Suicide and asphyxiation together usually means death by hanging.
It seems that is correct here.

Comedy great Robin Williams hanged himself at home

:candle: