Radical Myanmar monk joins hands...

If you wish to partake in casual "off-topic" discussion amongst spiritual friends, please do so in the Lounge at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
plwk

Radical Myanmar monk joins hands...

Post by plwk »

with Sri Lankan Buddhists...

A radical monk who heads a movement accused of stirring violence against Muslims in Myanmar has announced a partnership with a hardline Buddhist group in Sri Lanka to defend their religion. More here

Jeffrey

Re: Radical Myanmar monk joins hands...

Post by Jeffrey »

"Today, Buddhism is in danger."

Yes, from organizations such as the 969 and BBS.

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara »

A radical monk who heads a movement accused of stirring violence against Muslims in Myanmar has announced a partnership with a hardline Buddhist group in Sri Lanka to defend their religion
I humbly submit that the best way to defend Buddhism is to practice it properly.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

"I'd like to announce that 969 and I will join hands with Sri Lanka's Bodu Bala Sena to protect Buddhists all round the world," he said, referring to a group that has been accused of tyrannizing the minority Muslim community in Sri Lanka."

:thinking:
Buddha save me from new-agers!

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

What is their complain about Muslims?
I know many Sri Lankan Muslims and I have never seen any threats from them any form.
:thinking:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Hate Has No Place in A Buddhist Heart
In his speech at the BBS Conference, Ashin Wirathu said that Islam fundamentalism posed an existential threat to Buddhists in the South Asian region, and that Buddhists in the region should work together to ensure their continued existence. However, once again, no specifics as to how we should work together, what we should do together were given, other than boycott Muslim businesses and not sell land to Muslims.

Sri Lanka and Burma are prime examples, where even if the entire citizenry of these countries comprised of 100% Sinhala/Burmese Buddhists, they would still be corrupt, divisive, inconsiderate, oppressive, and opportunistic. This is evident from all the way from our politics, the open or tacit military rule, to the inconsiderate selfish way we drive. Our disregard about the environment, disinterest in women's rights and special needs, the callous way we treat animals, the littering of the environment, the oppression of the poorest of our brothers and sisters, and the grovelling at the feet of the rich.

O where o where are the Thinking Buddhists, the Happy Buddhists. Almost everyone of the BBS who spoke at the BBS Conference spoke motivated with anger, their hoarse voices rising to shrill levels. Where are Sri Lankan's Walopola Rahulas, Bhikkhu Dhammaviharis, Ajhan Brahms, Bhikkhu Bodhis, the mighty Naradas, the great Ananda Maitheyas? Instead we are now led by Gnanasaras and Wirathus. This entire order of Bhikkhus in Sri Lanka looks empty to me. I see it as a dying tree, which no longer attracts bees and butterflies to suck the sweet nectar from is beautiful blossom, but instead filling with woodworms boring into its once mighty heartwood.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

sattva

Post by sattva »

Sam Vara wrote:

I humbly submit that the best way to defend Buddhism is to practice it properly.

:twothumbsup: agreed
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

§ 27. {Iti 1.27; Iti 19}

This was said by the Blessed One, said by the Arahant, so I have heard: "All the grounds for making merit leading to spontaneously arising (in heaven) do not equal one-sixteenth of the awareness-release through good will. Good will — surpassing them — shines, blazes, & dazzles.

"Just as the radiance of all the stars does not equal one-sixteenth of the radiance of the moon, as the moon — surpassing them — shines, blazes, & dazzles, even so, all the grounds for making merit leading to spontaneously arising in heaven do not equal one-sixteenth of the awareness-release through good will. Good will — surpassing them — shines, blazes, & dazzles.

"Just as in the last month of the rains, in autumn, when the sky is clear & cloudless, the sun, on ascending the sky, overpowers the space immersed in darkness, shines, blazes, & dazzles, even so, all the grounds for making merit leading to spontaneously arising in heaven do not equal one-sixteenth of the awareness-release through good will. Good will — surpassing them — shines, blazes, & dazzles.

"Just as in the pre-dawn darkness the morning star shines, blazes, & dazzles, even so, all the grounds for making merit leading to spontaneously arising in heaven do not equal one-sixteenth of the awareness-release through good will. Good will — surpassing them — shines, blazes, & dazzles."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

sattva

Post by sattva »

SarathW wrote:§ 27. {Iti 1.27; Iti 19}

This was said by the Blessed One, said by the Arahant, so I have heard: "All the grounds for making merit leading to spontaneously arising (in heaven) do not equal one-sixteenth of the awareness-release through good will. Good will — surpassing them — shines, blazes, & dazzles.

"Just as the radiance of all the stars does not equal one-sixteenth of the radiance of the moon, as the moon — surpassing them — shines, blazes, & dazzles, even so, all the grounds for making merit leading to spontaneously arising in heaven do not equal one-sixteenth of the awareness-release through good will. Good will — surpassing them — shines, blazes, & dazzles.

"Just as in the last month of the rains, in autumn, when the sky is clear & cloudless, the sun, on ascending the sky, overpowers the space immersed in darkness, shines, blazes, & dazzles, even so, all the grounds for making merit leading to spontaneously arising in heaven do not equal one-sixteenth of the awareness-release through good will. Good will — surpassing them — shines, blazes, & dazzles.

"Just as in the pre-dawn darkness the morning star shines, blazes, & dazzles, even so, all the grounds for making merit leading to spontaneously arising in heaven do not equal one-sixteenth of the awareness-release through good will. Good will — surpassing them — shines, blazes, & dazzles."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
:goodpost:
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622

Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

I hope no one minds but I'll post here what I posted today on Dr. Paul Fuller's Buddhist Studies blog http://drpaulfuller.wordpress.com/2014/ ... omment-488 :

An extremely tragic and regrettable development within the Bhikkhu Sangha….monks polarizing the laity, as well as other monks, against nonviolent Muslims, and advocating violent opposition to all Muslims in Burma and Sri Lanka. It is clear that governments have a duty to protect the citizenry from violence; there is no doubt a percentage of Muslims that have taken up violence against the west, and this violence must be mitigated as rationally as possible. This duty of governments to preserve the peace does not extend to genocide against innocent groups within these countries. Wirathu should be forcibly disrobed, and instruction given to all monks that violence against others, except in very rare circumstances ( ie a monk is struck and may return the blow in defense), is prohibited by the Vinaya.

All of the violence being escalated around the world with respect to Muslims is going to make the world a much more violent and paranoid place. As the recent Israel-Palestine conflict illustrates, most good Israelis and Muslims don’t want violence…they intermarry, they have friendships, and love and care for each other. Such must be true as well in Burma and Sri Lanka…there is a general sense among most lay people to live, love, be neighbors, and let live…it is the governments, the politicians, the the radicals in each society that inflame these negative sentiments.

In my view, all good Buddhists, good Muslims, and people of goodwill should step forward and denounce these movements such as 969.

rowboat

Post by rowboat »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Hate Has No Place in A Buddhist Heart
In his speech at the BBS Conference, Ashin Wirathu said that Islam fundamentalism posed an existential threat to Buddhists in the South Asian region, and that Buddhists in the region should work together to ensure their continued existence. However, once again, no specifics as to how we should work together, what we should do together were given, other than boycott Muslim businesses and not sell land to Muslims.

Sri Lanka and Burma are prime examples, where even if the entire citizenry of these countries comprised of 100% Sinhala/Burmese Buddhists, they would still be corrupt, divisive, inconsiderate, oppressive, and opportunistic. This is evident from all the way from our politics, the open or tacit military rule, to the inconsiderate selfish way we drive. Our disregard about the environment, disinterest in women's rights and special needs, the callous way we treat animals, the littering of the environment, the oppression of the poorest of our brothers and sisters, and the grovelling at the feet of the rich.

O where o where are the Thinking Buddhists, the Happy Buddhists. Almost everyone of the BBS who spoke at the BBS Conference spoke motivated with anger, their hoarse voices rising to shrill levels. Where are Sri Lankan's Walopola Rahulas, Bhikkhu Dhammaviharis, Ajhan Brahms, Bhikkhu Bodhis, the mighty Naradas, the great Ananda Maitheyas? Instead we are now led by Gnanasaras and Wirathus. This entire order of Bhikkhus in Sri Lanka looks empty to me. I see it as a dying tree, which no longer attracts bees and butterflies to suck the sweet nectar from is beautiful blossom, but instead filling with woodworms boring into its once mighty heartwood.
Good post!
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5