Hawking: Artificial Intelligence Could End Human Race

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Kusala

Hawking: Artificial Intelligence Could End Human Race

Post by Kusala »

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
SarathW

Re: Hawking: Artificial Intelligence Could End Human Race

Post by SarathW »

How?
:thinking:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DhammaOS

Post by DhammaOS »

I for one welcome our new robot overlords.

But in all seriousness I am just going to default to the usual stance (cop out?) on technology. Could it? maybe. Does it necessarily have to? No. Personally I am curious to see how another consciousness can surface much like our own. Can a truly sentient machine practice the Dhamma? I will confess it would be interesting to find out.
"There are, O monks, these four lights. What four? The light of the moon, the light of the sun, the light of fire, and the light of wisdom. Of these four lights, the light of wisdom is supreme."-AN 4:143

Buddham saranam gacchami, Dhammam saranam gacchami, Sangham saranam gacchami
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

What does he mean when he says "full AI"? Does he mean self-aware? Like an AI with sakkaya-ditthi? :lol:

I don't think that's possible to make because AFAIK we can only make machines that output certain responses to specific inputs that are sensed. I think a human being is more than that though I'm sure some futurists would disagree
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I just wonder what Nibbana means to this full AI person (being).
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

Some thoughts on AI by Jaron Lanier who is arguably the world's leading computer scientist:
“But the Turing test cuts both ways. You can't tell if a machine has gotten smarter or if you've just lowered your own standards of intelligence to such a degree that the machine seems smart. If you can have a conversation with a simulated person presented by an AI program, can you tell how far you've let your sense of personhood degrade in order to make the illusion work for you?

People degrade themselves in order to make machines seem smart all the time. Before the crash, bankers believed in supposedly intelligent algorithms that could calculate credit risks before making bad loans. We ask teachers to teach to standardized tests so a student will look good to an algorithm. We have repeatedly demonstrated our species' bottomless ability to lower our standards to make information technology look good. Every instance of intelligence in a machine is ambiguous.

The same ambiguity that motivated dubious academic AI projects in the past has been repackaged as mass culture today. Did that search engine really know what you want, or are you playing along, lowering your standards to make it seem clever? While it's to be expected that the human perspective will be changed by encounters with profound new technologies, the exercise of treating machine intelligence as real requires people to reduce their mooring to reality.”

― Jaron Lanier, You Are Not a Gadget
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
DhammaOS

Post by DhammaOS »

As an IT professional, I will say this much, your computer is a glorified calculator, and Mkoll was spot on with that assessment. We do have some sort of "AI" which is more or less a computer finding logical patterns and adjusting what it is doing based on that pattern, say, a computer playing chess will try to adapt to your strategy by making a good statistical guess of what you are going to do. Otherwise we havn't really found a way to make them truly intelligent, but we have improved their logical number crunching vastly over the years. A computer is actually very dumb when you look at it from the right angle.
"There are, O monks, these four lights. What four? The light of the moon, the light of the sun, the light of fire, and the light of wisdom. Of these four lights, the light of wisdom is supreme."-AN 4:143

Buddham saranam gacchami, Dhammam saranam gacchami, Sangham saranam gacchami
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

SarathW wrote:How?

Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

One of the best movies ever made, no question.

I'd much rather have these guys than HAL:

chownah

Post by chownah »

Mkoll wrote:What does he mean when he says "full AI"? Does he mean self-aware? Like an AI with sakkaya-ditthi? :lol:

I don't think that's possible to make because AFAIK we can only make machines that output certain responses to specific inputs that are sensed. I think a human being is more than that though I'm sure some futurists would disagree
I think the difficulty in creating AI with sakkaya-ditthi is figuring out how to program the computer for sustained ignorance................ :tongue:
chownah
poto

Post by poto »

Hawking also warned of an alien invasion...

I think there's a lot of fear and stupidity surrounding AI. Those fears sometimes grab more headlines and sell more ad space than rational discourse.

Personally, I'm of the mind that as with most other technology we have developed AI will have to potential to either benefit us or harm us. The difference will depend on how skillfully it is developed and deployed. It's a field that is still in it's infancy, but there has been some interesting work done.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
LtComData

Post by LtComData »

I'm an AI researcher and can categorically say that the state of the art is far, far away from being of any threat to humanity.

Hawking should stick to Physics :)
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

LtComData wrote:I'm an AI researcher and can categorically say that the state of the art is far, far away from being of any threat to humanity.

Hawking should stick to Physics :)
:clap:
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

It's a non-issue, at least for the foreseeable future. Many of us who actually program computers for a living would be delighted if computer intelligence was anywhere near intelligent enough to end the human race. :thinking:

Professor Hawking might be able to do astrophysics calculations in his head, but apparently he's way out of touch with applied computing.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I wonder whether we are quoting Hawking out of context here.
What he meant was due to artificial intelligence human will create their own destruction.
It is like atomic bomb. We can use that for our well fair or destruction.