inscription sugestions

If you wish to partake in casual "off-topic" discussion amongst spiritual friends, please do so in the Lounge at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
Cittasanto

inscription sugestions

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi All,
I am getting married and we sorted out the rings today and we decided inscriptions maybe nice.

any pali words and translation you can suggest would be appreciated (I can only think of longish words). and any typeface suggestions.

I don't want metta it is thrown around too often in a way.

Hopeful Regards
Cittasanto
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: inscription sugestions

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Thanks for the reminder that although my own wedding is less than a month away, I haven't even thought of inscriptions.

:lol:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

"Overcome the liar by truth." (Dhp 223)
befriend

Post by befriend »

I think its a Buddhist teaching that if two people love each other and have good virtue they can be reunited in future lives, maybe get the pali word for that. its the idea of a soul mate.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Thanks for the reminder that although my own wedding is less than a month away, I haven't even thought of inscriptions.

Metta,
well she calles me an arse..... for a reason :p

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

befriend wrote:I think its a Buddhist teaching that if two people love each other and have good virtue they can be reunited in future lives, maybe get the pali word for that. its the idea of a soul mate.
if you can find the word that would be helpful, I don't know of a Buddhist version of soul mate that could accurately be translated but do really like your idea and may use it in some way. afterall in past lives we were all friends, mothers fathers, enemies.....................

:)

John Stuart Mill
sattva

Post by sattva »

Cittasanto wrote:Hi All,
I am getting married and we sorted out the rings today and we decided inscriptions maybe nice.

any pali words and translation you can suggest would be appreciated (I can only think of longish words). and any typeface suggestions.

I don't want metta it is thrown around too often in a way.

Hopeful Regards
Cittasanto
Congratulations!!! Hope you have many wonderful years together! My first thought was predictably "metta" lol So that's nixed. I also thought of Kalyanamitta (spiritual friend).
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
sattva

Post by sattva »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Metta,
Congratulations to you, too, Retro!!!
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
ryanM

Post by ryanM »

An excerpt from Ajahn Mun's biography
Spiritual partner. Literally, “one’s partner in developing the spiritual perfections (pãramï)”.
Most living beings have an individual, usually of the opposite sex, with whom they have maintained an intimate, personal relationship spanning countless lifetimes over many eons of existence. Life after life, those couples who share a deep spiritual commitment will reconnect and renew their relationship, assisting each other to develop one or another aspect of spiritual perfection. Such a devoted companion is considered to be essential for the eons-long quest to become a fully-enlightened Buddha, as Gautama Buddha’s own story illustrates:
In a past eon of the world, as a forest-dwelling ascetic named Sumedha, he threw himself at the feet of an earlier Buddha, Dïpankara, and resolved to become a Buddha himself in the future. As he made this vow, a young woman bearing incense and flowers stepped forth joyously to congratulate him. He immediately rejected her support, saying that as a forest-dwelling ascetic he was determined to live alone. Dïpankara Buddha then cautioned the young ascetic, telling him that every aspirant to Buddhahood had a spiritual companion (pãda-paricãrika) who was his inseparable partner throughout the long, arduous journey to perfection. After that, through countless lives, the Bodhisatta and his spiritual partner labored and sacrificed together for the benefit of other living beings as they traveled the Path of Awakening.
Maybe???

Oh and congratulations!
sabbe dhammā nālaṃ abhinivesāya

"nothing whatsoever should be clung to"
chownah

Post by chownah »

For your ring use "One ring to rule them all."
chownah
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

chownah wrote:For your ring use "One ring to rule them all."
chownah

~~~

But seriously, I like sattva and ryanM's suggestions.

And congrats to you both!
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
sattva wrote:Congratulations to you, too, Retro!!!
Thanks Sattva!

Cittasanto's question prompted me to ask my fiancee about inscriptions and she agreed that she is not fussed about inscriptions.

So there you go Cittasanto... maybe your fiancee would rather have the money in the bank, rather than chiselled out of the wedding rings? 8-)

Metta,
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

"Overcome the liar by truth." (Dhp 223)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

chownah wrote:For your ring use "One ring to rule them all."
chownah
I was allowed to have the one ring but changed my mind :guns:

John Stuart Mill
Ben

Post by Ben »

upekkha (Devanagari, Burmese, roman or Brahmi script).
It is a quality that one needs to develop and draw on during the life of a marriage, as is nekkhama.
Also too, a reminder that everything is in a state of flux, our relationships too -anicca.
All the best my friend!
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Cittasanto wrote:any pali words and translation you can suggest would be appreciated (I can only think of longish words). and any typeface suggestions.

From the DN’s Saṅgīti and Dasuttara Suttas:

Ajjava & Lajjava.
Avihiṃsā & Soceyya.
Hirī & Ottappa
Khanti & Soracca.
Paggaha & Avikkhepa.
Sākhalya & Paṭisanthāra.
Sati & Sampajañña
Vijjā & Vimutti.
Svākkhātaṃ brahmacariyaṃ, sandiṭṭhikam’akālikaṃ,
Yattha amoghā pabbajjā, appamattassa sikkhato.

“The holy life is well proclaimed,
directly visible, immediate,
Where not in vain is the going forth
of one who trains heedfully.”
— Sela Sutta
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Congratulations, Cittasanto!! :smile:

And congratulations, Retro!! :smile:
"He turns his mind away from those phenomena and, having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' " - Jhana Sutta