What has humanity actually achieved?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
daverupa

Re: What has humanity actually achieved?

Post by daverupa »

Given the inevitable consumption of the Earth by the Sun, I fail to see any applicable scale of measurement for achievement apart from the individual in the here-&-now. In this sense, humanity has achieved an opportunity, one that's taken up, set aside, or unknowingly ignored: to discover what is worth achieving.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Vanda wrote:Sam Vara,

A piece of music will mean little in a few thousand years, or when humans finally become extinct, and it doesn't outweigh the extinction of countless species, nor does it compare to the richness and beauty of those species wiped out and some of their lovely voices. Yes, an individual homo sapien can create something beautiful, can even have deep compassion, but this doesn't alter or change the overall mentality and behavior of the species as a whole.

Quintessential songs of the North Woods:

From one Common Loon to another:
Vanda

Post by Vanda »

Sam Vara,

Typical human mentality:

http://www.dumpaday.com/wp-content/uplo ... ics-48.jpg

:cry:
“Don’t go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, ‘This contemplative is our teacher.’ When you know for yourselves that, ‘These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted and carried out, lead to welfare and to happiness’ — then you should enter and remain in them.”
- Kalama Sutta, Anguttara Nikaya
mal4mac

Post by mal4mac »

Almost as bad as 'glorious' central display of Milton Keynes, dead tree with concrete cows:

http://www.onemk.co.uk/news/2015/3/DEAD ... 68680.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Mal
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Vanda wrote:Sam Vara,

Typical human mentality:
What is?
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Wow, this thread makes depressing reading indeed. It seems that many people come to the Dhamma out of a complete lack of appreciation and joy in life and culture and with a huge dollop of aversion to humanity. Is this not a recipe for disaster?
_/|\_
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Dan74 wrote:Wow, this thread makes depressing reading indeed. It seems that many people come to the Dhamma out of a complete lack of appreciation and joy in life and culture and with a huge dollop of aversion to humanity. Is this not a recipe for disaster?
My thoughts exactly. :goodpost:
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Dan74 wrote:Wow, this thread makes depressing reading indeed. It seems that many people come to the Dhamma out of a complete lack of appreciation and joy in life and culture and with a huge dollop of aversion to humanity. Is this not a recipe for disaster?
How on earth did you know my exact thoughts :thinking:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Ha!

Mind you if you asked me when I was 25, I'd be right down the 'it all sucks' alley. Now I've gotten old and thick and even with all the frightening horrors that are and that are yet to be, I still find this world to be a rich and fascinating place. Most of the time.
_/|\_
santa100

Post by santa100 »

What has humanity actually achieved? Uniqueness. Humans far exceeded all other species regarding the magnitude of both creation and destruction. The only species able to make space travel possible as well as the destruction of the earth. The only species with such magnificent beings like the Buddha, Mother Teresa, Newton, etc... and at the same time, nightmares like Genghis Khan, Pol Pot, Hitler, etc.
samseva

Post by samseva »

That wasn't the intention of the thread, quite the opposite.

So far, I think these are great achievements for humanity:
Dhamma
Language
Education
Internet
Philanthropy
Psychology
Although it is true that bathing in negativity is very destructive for someone—and actually gives rise to aversion or vibhava-taṇhā—balancing your view of the world, seeing both the positive and negative side, is important. Especially in our western world—which is almost a paradise—we have a delusional understanding of the average life most people are living. When you are surrounded 24/7 with people living a luxurious life, you think it is the norm, which is very far from the truth. It is even in our everyday spoken language—we use terms such as developing or third-world countries, as if we are the norm.

What is important is keeping a balance, being neither too optimistic nor pessimistic. For example, when you are too optimistic, read the news. When you are too pessimistic, watch inspiring videos (very good video).
Vanda

Post by Vanda »

Sam Vara,
What is?
Click on the link, I included...

Typical human mentality:
http://www.dumpaday.com/wp-content/uplo ... ics-48.jpg
:smile:
“Don’t go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, ‘This contemplative is our teacher.’ When you know for yourselves that, ‘These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted and carried out, lead to welfare and to happiness’ — then you should enter and remain in them.”
Vanda

Post by Vanda »

Dan74
Wow, this thread makes depressing reading indeed. It seems that many people come to the Dhamma out of a complete lack of appreciation and joy in life and culture and with a huge dollop of aversion to humanity. Is this not a recipe for disaster?
I think being in denial to the realities of what is going on is worse. If everyone carries on with the status quo, that is what is truly depressing, that is the real recipe for disaster.
Vanda

Post by Vanda »

Support nature ~ help to preserve habitat, help establish community gardens, garden yourself, create a wildlife garden in your back and front yard ~ get involved and make a difference...

http://www.coolearth.org/

https://communitygarden.org/resources/1 ... ty-garden/

https://communitygarden.org/

http://www.nsalg.org.uk/about-us/intern ... -movement/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildlife_garden

http://www.stickywicketgarden.co.uk/ben ... arden.html
Last edited by Vanda on Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Exactly my thoughts too, Dan! After reading this thread earlier, I decided I'd had enough of the internet, shut down my computer & went out instead.

Imagine my delight when an old guy of 80 (he didn't look it) chatting to me at the bus stop & on the bus, turned out to be a buddhist!

We talked about politics, the environment, and then meditation & Buddhism. It was wonderful, & all very positive especially as he appeared to be active in a number of areas as well. So my advice to myself for the remainder of the summer holiday is: "When in doubt, let go of that screen & go out!"

:anjali:
Last edited by Aloka on Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.