What would you learn?

If you wish to partake in casual "off-topic" discussion amongst spiritual friends, please do so in the Lounge at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
sattva

What would you learn?

Post by sattva »

I am listening to an audio book on the brain and it is talking at the moment about the importance of learning new things. I found myself thinking and wondering about what new pursuit or skill I might develop. Then, I wondered what each of you might choose and why. So, if you would, please share your ideas. Thank you :anjali: .
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
samseva

Re: What would you learn?

Post by samseva »

A new language.
sattva

Post by sattva »

samseva wrote:A new language.
:smile:
Which one? Why?
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Louise,
At the moment I don't have a lot of time for structured study as my workday is so long and my meditation practice is a priority once my mundane responsibilities are attended to.
But your question is one that I frequently ponder. These are some of the things I would like to learn:
- Pali: to aid and deepen my Dhamna practice
- Latin: the basis of English, Romance languages and scientific nomenclature which would come in handy with my work.
- Chinese: to communicate more effectively with the fastest growing tourism market segment.
- university qualification in botany and/or history.
- further my knowledge of bush skills.
That's what I can think of at the moment...
Kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings sattva,

Thanks for the question. I would like to enhance my coaching and motivational skills.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"Why now do you assume 'a being'? Mara, have you grasped a view?" (SN 5.10)

"Overcome the liar by truth." (Dhp 223)
samseva

Post by samseva »

sattva wrote: :smile:
Which one? Why?
As an answer to your question regarding the importance of learning new things to maintain and develop a healthy brain, I think learning a new language is a pinnacle of learning. Not only is it extensive work and development for the brain, but you basically take on an almost entirely different way of thinking and seeing the world. Even more, for many languages, you learn about a completely new culture. How is that for learning new things? :smile:

The second reason, which might not be directly related to your question, is that learning a new language is such an intensively awesome and stimulating experience.

Regarding which language to learn, that is entirely up to your preferences. One of the most important thing, however, is interest. Since learning a new language is not an easy task, interest will be what motivates you the most to pursue this goal.

It is quite a task and you are in it for the long-term, but there is nothing that compares to learning a new language, learning new things, communicating in a new way, with people from a different culture. It basically opens you up to almost an entirely new world.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask. :smile:
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Study the Suttas in Pali

The CST4 Tipitaka has an English dictionary to look up unknown words as you try to tread the suttas in Pali.
Dictionary Lookup.png
Dictionary Lookup.png (11.65 KiB) Viewed 1758 times
Start with some familiar texts like the Mangala Sutta and progress from there.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Math.

From grade 1 on through to dropping out of high school I figured I was bad at math. Yet I loved computer programming. Now in my thirties, I've decided to build my math skills, upgrade my high school record, and possibly enroll in a computer science program, or maybe an applied mathematics.

Of course, that may be beyond my pay grade - I am in my thirties, married, two kids, etc. plus it might still be that I'm bad at math, in the ultimate sense ;) But it's interesting and gratifying all the same, and I'm pretty sure it's good for my brain!
subaru

Post by subaru »

For programming skills, check out www.coursera.org
they also have some Psychology classes and alot of others that might be useful to you

For non-technical and more general topics, check out http://www.ted.com , the live participants paid USD6000 to attend, we get to watch it for free

If you like to go deep and are academically inclined, there are online courses offered by good universities for eg. Standford Courses , search for others on youtube. All sorts of disciplines are offered.

I do not have a specific area I want to learn (besides learning to LetGo :candle: ) , but occasionally when something puzzles me persistently, I would seek the web to acquire more knowledge about it. I almost bored browsing through the sites in Theravadin Resource , btw the recommended sites are excellent, the boredom is my kilesa.. Need to find other wholesome distractions to hold the fort when my Sankhara goes wild

Happy Learning
:candle:
denise

Post by denise »

heavy earth moving equipment always looked amazing to me....the really big machines...maybe just a ride on one would suffice at this point.... :tongue:
ryanM

Post by ryanM »

Anything science. It causes me to stretch my imagination!
sabbe dhammā nālaṃ abhinivesāya

"nothing whatsoever should be clung to"
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Assuming I won a lottery and had ample time -

A ) Read at least 100 best novels written between 1850 and 2015 (this project I am starting even without having won a lottery from Nov 7 when I will buy a Kindle as a Diwali gift to myself. A reading list is being compiled. My writing skill and grammar is horrible and I need to correct it. I write like Yoda speaks in Star Wars "this project I am starting" instead if "I am starting this project.")

B ) Will like to learn Calculus which I almost flunked in college.

C ) Music Theory and playing the piano. As well as take a lot of time to hear same classical pieces being played by different philharmonics and find how they are slightly different from each other and not be content with my various multi CD collections of "100 Greatest Classical Masterpieces."

D ) Programming. I never learned anything beyond COBOL. (optional pursuit since this one can be outsourced to someone else if need arises to write a program or create a website)

I have pondered over this question for many decades .. ever since I read Chekov's "The Bet" which is slightly similar at 15.
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus