not photoshopped

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
DNS
Site Admin

not photoshopped

Post by DNS »

Here are the temps here in Las Vegas next week:
weather1.png
weather1.png (181.6 KiB) Viewed 3295 times
116 F = about 47 Celsius
retrofuturist

Re: not photoshopped

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I remember a day where the local weather station recorded a maximum of 47.5'c. It was a very unfortunate day, as there were devastating bushfires about that took lives and property, but if one likes the heat, it need not be physically unpleasant to feel such warmth.

Be sure to keep hydrated David!

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi David,
Looks like the sort of extreme temperatures we experienced in central Victoria in the week preceeding my move to Tasmania which coincided with the catastrophic black saturday bushfires.
Stay indoors and stay hydrated and take care.
with metta,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Thanks. Fortunately, I don't have to be outdoors on those days. It will be especially difficult for those who must work outside, for example those repair techs who fix air conditioning systems. And they usually break on very hot days like those coming up next week.

I might still go out for a bicycle ride, I'll just be sure to do so very early before the severe heat hits; and drink plenty of water before hand.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Repeat after me: "Extreme weather is not necessarily caused by climate change but is made much more likely by climate change."
Now go and share it.

Seriously.

Or this http://www.npr.org/2015/05/28/408295800 ... -cuts-deep is going to be your new normal.

:namaste:
Kim
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

"But it's a dry heat" :tongue:
sattva

Post by sattva »

David N. Snyder wrote:Here are the temps here in Las Vegas next week:
weather1.png
116 F = about 47 Celsius
Oh, sh*t!

May you and Anyone out your way, try to stay cool and hydrated!
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Very distressing weather no doubt. But last Sat (11th June) it was 40 C and 88% humidity here (Calcutta) and "real feel" was 60 C.

110 F (43.3 C) + 10% humidity equals in heat-humidity index 104 F (40 C) quite comfortable to me .. 43 C and 20% humidity is normal May weather about 180 kms west of where I live and it is not really very taxing (to those used to 60 C "real feel") to walk couple of miles in that heat at noon time.

104 F (40 C) + 88% humidity equals in heat-humidity index 198 F (92 C) [ of course when wind and angle of sun is factored in the "real feel" drops to 60 C or so or I would be typing this post with charred hands ] heat humidity index calculator

To understand what skin feels like at 60 C put your finger in a cup of warm (not scalding) tea .. now imagine walking around in that cup all day. If you sweat 2 liters, none of that is going to evaporate due to high humidity but make your underwear, the buttocks of your trousers and shirt sopping wet (like you have been in rain).

Right now it is 31 C + 75% humidity for a "real feel" of 44 C (Bangkok is also the same) since monsoons have set in yesterday .. "real feel" of 44 C is the temp we live at for around 250 days of the year. The tip of Bay of Bengal with Calcutta on its west and coastal regions Burma and Thailand to the east has the worst possible weather on the planet.

As I mentioned elsewhere in the forum I need 2 cleaning baths (with soap) and 4 cooling baths (without soap) daily :lol:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

If the weather is making you uncomfortable, you have plenty of company:
Shattered records show climate change is an emergency today, scientists warn

Unprecedented temperature levels mean more heatwaves, flooding, wildfires and hurricanes as experts say global warming is here and affecting us now
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... tists-warn

:namaste:
Kim
sattva

Post by sattva »

Looks like today is suppose to be your hottest day. How is everyone doing?
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

sattva wrote:Looks like today is suppose to be your hottest day. How is everyone doing?
It's not that bad, it's "only" 111 degrees Fahrenheit when they predicted 116. It's also a little cloudy, which might have stopped some of the heat. I stayed inside, just to be safe, only briefly outside going from car to house, car to business, etc. My a/c tech worker only had to work on 2 air conditioners today, which fortunately were quick fixes.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

David, we are going to share the same real feel today (Jun 22) of 114 F :console:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus