In what do you work? How do you spend your money?

If you wish to partake in casual "off-topic" discussion amongst spiritual friends, please do so in the Lounge at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
mario92

In what do you work? How do you spend your money?

Post by mario92 »

Hi im presently unemployed, i had passed this semester succesfully with good notes, so im actually looking for a job in mcdonalds, im studying graphic design, but im urged to gain some money, if not i wont been able to give, so for me it is very important for my spiritual practice and gaining of material things and also for my emotional health and of my family. My father want me to work for him, but he doesnt let me give to the sangha, or he get angry when i do it or to other people, only when i work to other people i can give to whatever person i want, and i can spend my money in whatever i want. So i have this urge.

I have this questions:

In what do you work?
How do you spent your money?
also if you can give an advice for students looking for a job, and what kind of job it could be, is a question.

Thank you for your time in reading this
BasementBuddhist

Re: In what do you work? How do you spend your money?

Post by BasementBuddhist »

I work at a Fast Food place, kind of like McDonalds, called Rallys. I'd say fast food is good for students, because scheduling is very flexible, and you can take the time you need for your studies. Don't expect to make a lot of money. Having a job definitely allows me to be charitable. You cannot give what you don't have. I usually try to have some money free for when I meet a beggar, or for when people I know just don't have what they need.

I use the money I make to provide for my partner and two dogs. I try to save as much as I can as well, not to horde a lot of treasure, but because needs come up, and being able to take care of my loved ones is important.

Keep in mind that your job is NEVER more important than your studies when you are a student. No matter the reason. Just my opinion. :soap:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

i had passed this semester succesfully with good notes,
Congratulations!
=======
In what do you work?
I work as a professional.
I spent on establishing myself and on my children. I try to spend 1% of my income for charities.
also if you can give an advice for students looking for a job, and what kind of job it could be, is a question. -
Do any jobs you considered right livelihood.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
mario92

Post by mario92 »

BasementBuddhist wrote:I work at a Fast Food place, kind of like McDonalds, called Rallys. I'd say fast food is good for students, because scheduling is very flexible, and you can take the time you need for your studies. Don't expect to make a lot of money. Having a job definitely allows me to be charitable. You cannot give what you don't have. I usually try to have some money free for when I meet a beggar, or for when people I know just don't have what they need.

I use the money I make to provide for my partner and two dogs. I try to save as much as I can as well, not to horde a lot of treasure, but because needs come up, and being able to take care of my loved ones is important.

Keep in mind that your job is NEVER more important than your studies when you are a student. No matter the reason. Just my opinion. :soap:
Thank you, i had been investigating and found surveys in the internet that pay very good, of course there are people that say is fraud, but other people answering with good arguments, and opinions about why some are fraud and others dont, it would be like try and youll know. A year ago i was in the same situation, and then my father said it wasnt worthy or honourable in their words and he got me work with a professional, i made my professional service there. But i prefered to try this.
mario92

Post by mario92 »

SarathW wrote:
Congratulations!
=======
In what do you work?
I spent on establishing myself and on my children. I try to spend 1% of my income for charities.
also if you can give an advice for students looking for a job, and what kind of job it could be, is a question. -
Thank you sarath, the next semester i graduate with only one subject left :)
mario92

Post by mario92 »

mario92 wrote:
SarathW wrote:
Congratulations!
=======
In what do you work?
Thank you sarath, the next semester i will graduate with only one subject being left :)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Good Buddhists often work hard so that they can give charity, but they sometimes overlook the merit of other wholesome kamma. For example, one could work a low-paid job helping the mentally-ill, the homeless, or work for Oxfam etc., or one could work a high-paid job that only encourages unwholesome kamma in others, while making unwholesome kamma oneself too.

Working for McDonalds is not wrong livelihood because you're not trading in meat. That is not what you are paid for. You're paid for giving customer service. Still, perhaps there are other jobs that don't encourage greed or add to the obesity problem? A fitness instructor, for example, or simply carrying bricks or delivering parcels?

Just offering some reflections on how to make wholesome kamma directly, rather than doing something unwholesome in order to make wholesome kamma later. What you do all day every day adds up to a lot of kamma.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I think doing any work and pay tax is a wholesome Kamma.
The average person pays about 25% income tax.
The state spends tax revenue to build roads, health, and welfare of people.
Some states misuse their tax revenue by spending too much money on wars.
It is a different subject.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

SarathW wrote:I think doing any work and paying tax is a wholesome Kamma.
Paying tax could involved either wholesome or unwholesome kamma, or a mixture of both. That's why mental training is so important.
  1. You could pay tax reluctantly, with resentment, thinking that the money is only wasted on corrupt politicians, on warfare, etc. This would be unwholesome kamma.
  2. Or you could pay tax willingly, thinking that at least some of it is used to provide health care, education, and other public services. This would be wholesome kamma
  3. Or you could pay tax, just because it is unavoidable to avoid prosecution. This would be mixed kamma, observing morality on the one hand, but fearful and resentful on the other.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
R1111 = rightviewftw

Post by R1111 = rightviewftw »

The Tathagata gave advice on money management:
With wealth acquired this way, a layman fit for household life, in portions four divides his wealth: thus will he friendship win. One portion for his wants he uses,[7] two portions on his business spends, the fourth for times of need he keeps.
This portion includes what is spent on good works: gifts to monks, charity, etc.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nara.html
santa100

Post by santa100 »

mario92 wrote:the next semester i graduate with only one subject left
Since you're closer to graduation, it'd be better to check with your college's career office to try to get into those summer internship/co-op programs so you can get real life experience related to your major. Not sure if your major requires this, but for my engineering program, it's almost a prerequisite before one graduates because when you go for interviews after graduation, companies will look at your resume not only for academic achievements but also related real life experience from those co-op jobs.
mario92

Post by mario92 »

santa100 wrote:
mario92 wrote:the next semester i graduate with only one subject left
Since you're closer to graduation, it'd be better to check with your college's career office to try to get into those summer internship/co-op programs so you can get real life experience related to your major. Not sure if your major requires this, but for my engineering program, it's almost a prerequisite before one graduates because when you go for interviews after graduation, companies will look at your resume not only for academic achievements but also related real life experience from those co-op jobs.
Thank you for the advice santa100 :)
Chi

Post by Chi »

I have recently been helping people create websites. The work actually ends up taking wildly different forms -- it's a lot of listening to people and their stories on what they want their life and/or business to look like, so in this way it resembles a life/business coach. People tend to open up about their past so I take on the role of a therapist as well.

Then, there's the copywriting part, which is putting structure to people's visions with precise language. Most people have never put their ideas into words, so this process tends to bring up lots of different emotions.

Then there's the actual design part which is making everything look beautiful and presentable.

There's actual surprisingly little technical skill needed to design websites.

I love to live in different parts of the world and experience cultures. So I spend my money on accomodation, food, and plane tickets mostly. Rarely buy any material things.

In sum, knowing how to make beautiful websites is a handy skill to have because it's in high demand and all the need physically is Internet and computer.

Hope your path is full of joy and good teachers!
Do Good, Avoid Evil, Purify the Mind.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

1.You could pay tax reluctantly, with resentment, thinking that the money is only wasted on corrupt politicians, on warfare, etc. This would be unwholesome kamma.
So, paying tax is Dana?
khmaibuddhist

Post by khmaibuddhist »

i work as a caretaker for people with mental or physical disability. it doesn't pay well, but it's very rewarding helping out the clients and learning to handle different situations.