Forest

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
oncereturner

Re: Forest

Post by oncereturner »

I didn't go the the forest for a month, as a result, I got sick mentally. In addition I deleted 10.000 photos of the plants and flowers, 8 years of photography. I recovered 1500 of them with a software, and I made 130 new photos.
I was in the woods again last week, and my mind healed. I visited the forest at daylight, so lots of people and dogs was around, but at least I was not in danger (stepping into a hole, disorientation, injuries etc). In Europe it is getting very cold at night, it's raining every second day.

Tomorrow rain is coming again, I must go to the wild, my mind is full of scrap to the deepest level, the advantage of rain is that much less people is around.

Nothing can replace the nature and the emptiness. I must seek shelter from the craziness of the capital city and the traffic madness, and of course the job. By the way, it is for free. Rain is a blessing after all, the fog clears the mind, and water clarifies the mind and body.
"And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech."

— SN 45.8
netlava

Post by netlava »

Reading through this thread, I was reminded of the following poem for some reason.
The world offers no escape. Even I hide in the mountains, only to hear the haunting cry of deer.

-Fujiwara no Shunzei
paul

Post by paul »

“The world offers no escape. Even I hide in the mountains, only to hear the haunting cry of deer.”

The above quote does not take into account the graduated path described in the Pali Canon and in particular in MN 121. Wilderness as a subject does not represent full meditational development, but the Buddha recommends it as a starting point, while recognising it has a flaw. But while aware of that deficiency, wilderness can still represent a foundation contemplation subject in and of itself, without necessarily proceeding to the next more expansive spatial situation, earth:

“…a monk — not attending to the perception of village, not attending to the perception of human being — attends to the singleness based on the perception of wilderness. His mind takes pleasure, finds satisfaction, settles, & indulges in its perception of wilderness.”

"He discerns that 'Whatever disturbances that would exist based on the perception of village are not present. Whatever disturbances that would exist based on the perception of human being are not present. There is only this modicum of disturbance: the singleness based on the perception of wilderness.'
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

paul wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:40 am
"He discerns that 'Whatever disturbances that would exist based on the perception of village are not present. Whatever disturbances that would exist based on the perception of human being are not present. There is only this modicum of disturbance: the singleness based on the perception of wilderness.'
I agree. I was again in the wilderness at darkness. No people was around, because it was raining. My clothe was full of water. I shooted some of my best photos, the water reflected the lights, and mist was all around. I can' even describe my positive feelings. Walking in the open air is also very healthy. Nothing can help me with my mind, but the wilderness clears my mind in an hour. It's a miracle.
"And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech."

— SN 45.8
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

santa100 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:19 am The "covering the whole earth with leather" simile:
Very wise man.I have a boots, not leather, but very strong (adidas) and I can go through everything, including mud, stones, scattered glass, stingy plants, tree trunks, water. Covering the world with leather is a joke. :) Thank you for sharing this.

— SN 45.8