My Abstract Art

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
lyndon taylor

My Abstract Art

Post by lyndon taylor »

I'm an on again off again abstract artist, but these are some of my better works, click on this link to see my webpage of art; https://www.taylorsfineviolins.com/my-art.html

unfortunately the forums format won't let me upload the images
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
lyndon taylor

Re: My Abstract Art

Post by lyndon taylor »

lets try try this

18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Oh great it works but you don't see it till the message posts, here's another one titled "Standing Still"

Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Many thanks for sharing these, Lyndon - they're great. I like the "Standing Still" one best.
Last edited by Sam Vara on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garrib

Post by Garrib »

Cool stuff, Lyndon. Thanks for sharing. Are you still painting?
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Garrib wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:32 pm Cool stuff, Lyndon. Thanks for sharing. Are you still painting?
Actually no, my last series was commissioned for a gallery show in 1999, I haven't painted since, my most active time was the early 80s when I was in my 20s. The early ones were oil paint thinned in paint thinners like turpentine, on gessoed white canvas. The 1999 series was acrylic paint thinned in water on raw canvas.

I should point out that in the Abstract Expressionist tradition these works are quite large, on the website the largest is 6' x 10' and the smallest about 2' x 3'. The dimensions are noted on my website.

When I was creating my violin business website I decided it was an opportunity to showcase some of my other projects as well as violins, so I have a page devoted to my clavichord (keyboard) making with pictures and youtube recordings(https://www.taylorsfineviolins.com/clavichords.html), and a page devoted to my Abstract Art. It actually was some bit of trouble to borrow and photograph as many of my paintings as I did, only 3 of them are still in my possession, 2 more with my parents, 2 with my brother, a couple others with friends etc.

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

The website is filled with wonderful information. I am tad envious since I always wanted to play musical instruments but never learned.

It is a very Dhammic profession too. In the subcontinent classical music is considered very close to Hindu philosophy (almost all of Indian classical music is explained in philosophical terms .. Since the earliest times, music was treated as a manifestation of the divine. The Indian deities are identified by their musical instruments with Shiva playing the Rudra Veena and Krishna playing the Indian flute)

In the spirit of East meets West here is Yehudi Menuhin (violin) with Pandit Ravi Shankar (rudra veena) the treat is 8:30 onwards

:namaste:

No_Mind
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Thanks for sharing Lyndon. I have been reading your posts since i joined the forum, but never thought that behind the posts there is a good artist.

This makes me imagine about all the interesting humans behind the computer screens who are active members of this forum!
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Subharo

Post by Subharo »

Edit: (I basically asked No_Mind the origin of his username, making a guess that was not correct).
Last edited by Subharo on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subharo Bhikkhu
"There is but one taste on this path, the taste of freedom" -The Buddha :buddha1:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Lyndon,
lyndon taylor wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:23 pm lets try try this...
That was cool. Kinda like going through a funkadelic car wash in the 1970's...

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SDC

Post by SDC »

Thanks for sharing that, Lyndon. Always nice to know something personal about another member.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Subharo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:33 pm Back when I was a layperson, this was the sort of thing I listened to. And I had several Easterner friends. A few of them quite close. I also made the good acquaintance/friendship of two Indian (citizen) Buddhist monks while in Sri Lanka. Both were former Hindu monks.

PS: There is actually a Ninja Tune called "No Mind". When you chose your username No Mind, did you have this tune in mind?
Bhante, this is the etymology of my user name
My user name is taken from a conversation the protagonist (Tom Cruise) has with a samurai when learning the art of Japanese swordsmanship, in the film "The Last Samurai."

Samurai: Please forgive, too many mind.
Tom Cruise: Too many mind?
Samurai: Hai. Mind the sword, mind the people watch, mind the enemy, too many mind .. [pause] no mind.

Your mind is distracted by too many things - the sword, the people who are watching you train, the opponent .. you have too many minds .. empty your mind .. have no mind. It is also called mushin in Japanese
:namaste:

No_Mind
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

I like. How do you paint them?
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

You mix a small amount of oil paint with a cup half full of paint thinner, or a small amount of acrylic paint with a cup half full of water. then do so for several colours, then pour the liquid paint on the stretched canvas, then tip the canvas to make the paint run, and colours blend together. The whole painting process takes only a few minutes, mixing the paint takes longer, and the real time goes into stretching the canvas and making the frames, that's the reason I lost interest in painting, too much pre production drudgery.

binocular

Post by binocular »

lyndon taylor wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:28 pmThe whole painting process takes only a few minutes, mixing the paint takes longer, and the real time goes into stretching the canvas and making the frames, that's the reason I lost interest in painting, too much pre production drudgery.
Maybe you should take up the pointilist style. There, the ratio of pre-production to production is much more in favor of production.
:tongue:
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!