Harry, Meghan and my Papañca

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
No_Mind

Re: Harry, Meghan and my Papañca

Post by No_Mind »

binocular wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:00 am
No_Mind wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:38 amAre there no leftists or communists in Britain anymore?
I'm sure there are. They're just helpless in the face of human nature.
Everytime I see a Royal marriage I just cannot believe it .. that a modern nation can have a monarchy and pay from their wallet to maintain their lavish lifestyle.

Sure Japan has a monarchy (performing same constitutional functions) but they never, ever hog the limelight.

Many do not know that The Imperial House of Japan, Yamato Dynasty was founded well before Buddha was born and is said to be over 2,500 years old

Emperor Akihito's personal worth is $40 million which is about same as annual income of Prince Charles from Duchy of Cornwall.

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Many do not know that The Imperial House of Japan,
Japanese monarch is not as popular as British monarch.
Many royals in the world are not famous.
Perhaps they are not very good at in marketing or they have nothing to gain from the popularity.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Imagine being born healthy, beautiful, rich, prestigious, never have to work one's behind off a single day to put food on the table and a roof over one's head, etc.. If the Six Realms were right here on earth, no doubt they wouldve belong to the Deva class, the very top tier of the food chain. In terms of worldly merit, these royal folks must had done some pretty darn good kamma in their previous lives!
Grigoris

Post by Grigoris »

royal.jpg
royal.jpg (44.08 KiB) Viewed 15509 times
ye dhammā hetuppabhavā tesaṁ hetuṁ tathāgato āha,
tesaṃca yo nirodho - evaṁvādī mahāsamaṇo.

Of those phenomena which arise from causes:
Those causes have been taught by the Tathāgata,
And their cessation too - thus proclaims the Great Ascetic.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

santa100 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 4:49 pm Imagine being born healthy, beautiful, rich, prestigious, never have to work one's behind off a single day .....
Prince Harry was in the British Army for about 10 years:

https://www.royal.uk/prince-harrys-military-career

and Prince William was a Royal Air Force helicopter rescue pilot for a few years.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/prin ... er-n547746

Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

EEF4E1D9-C8B8-49D7-9644-3017969728DD.jpeg
EEF4E1D9-C8B8-49D7-9644-3017969728DD.jpeg (54.91 KiB) Viewed 15483 times
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Aloka wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:58 pm Prince Harry was in the British Army for about 10 years:

and Prince William was a Royal Air Force helicopter rescue pilot for a few years.
Of course they had to to generate enough positive public PR for the justification of maintaining a monarchy in 21st century. Have they ever carried out any mission that is life threatening; and say if not even life-threatening, to complete a job assignment under the pressure of getting fired and hence won't be able to put food on the table or a roof over their heads, you know, the kind of pressure billions of commoners like you and me are constantly facing every single day? I don't think so.
Last edited by santa100 on Sun May 20, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Deleted (I can't delete it in the normal way, for some reason.)
Last edited by Aloka on Sun May 20, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

Kim OHara wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 4:23 am Yes, I saw the sick bag on FB too - truly a universal platform but not noted for its elevated level of discourse. :tongue:

One of our political cartoonists was rather more inventively anti-wedding:
It's a fairytale for the modern age. An age filled with flying deathbots and murderous inequality https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... inequality

:smile:

Kim
Very funny, and true 😝
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

santa100 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:27 pm
Aloka wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:58 pm Prince Harry was in the British Army for about 10 years:

Of course they had to to generate enough positive public PR for the justification of maintaining a monarchy in 21st century. Have they ever carried out any mission that is life threatening; and say if not even life-threatening, to complete a job assignment under the pressure of getting fired and hence won't be able to put food on the table or a roof over their heads, you know, the kind of pressure billions of commoners like you and me are constantly facing every single day? I don't think so.

So what? We don't live in an equal society, what about all the billionaires in other parts of the world? - get used to it!

I'm not a royalist, but neither am I interested in reading sick jokes about them. They're human beings, they suffer in their own ways and who knows what's truly in their hearts.

Anyway, I've got more useful things to do with my time than bitching about the British royal family in a Buddhist forum .

Be well and happy :hello:
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Aloka wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:40 pm So what? We don't live in an equal society, what about all the billionaires in other parts of the world? - get used to it!

I'm not a royalist, but neither am I interested in reading sick jokes about them. They're human beings, they suffer in their own ways and who knows what's truly in their hearts.

Anyway, I've got more useful things to do with my time than bitching about the British royal family in a Buddhist forum .

Be well and happy :hello:
Hold on a second right there, I simply stated the truth. The "get used to it" or the "bitching" parts are entirely from your own words, not mine. By the way, it's obvious that everyone suffer as long as they're still unenlightened people, but it's also obvious that the intensity of suffering those royals have to face day in and day out is nothing compared to the kind their fellow human beings are going thru. And like I've said, even Devas suffer, but their suffering is certainly very different from the Hell dwellers'
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

santa100 wrote:By the way, it's obvious that everyone suffer as long as they're still unenlightened people, but it's also obvious that the intensity of suffering those royals have to face day in and day out is nothing compared to the kind their fellow human beings are going thru. And like I've said, even Devas suffer, but their suffering is certainly very different from the Hell dwellers'
Well...um... you could plan a revolution, santa, or alternatively look upon it all "as a tiger looks at grass".

Thank you for the chat. Goodnight :zzz:

santa100

Post by santa100 »

Aloka wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:10 pm Well...um... you could plan a revolution, santa, or alternatively look upon it all "as a tiger looks at grass".

Thank you for the chat. Goodnight :zzz:
Well...um... the "revolution" part is, again, entirely your idea, Aloka. Be well.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

but it's also obvious that the intensity of suffering those royals have to face day in and day out is nothing compared to the kind their fellow human beings are going thru.
Being very poor and being reasonably rich, my understanding is Dukkha in all unenlightened beings are the same.
I don't think Royals are happier or more miserable than me.
Sometimes I feel very sorry for the royal.
If you think involve in boring public life is great you got to be joking.
Perhaps they are born to it and they do not know anything else.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Aloka wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:58 pm
santa100 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 4:49 pm Imagine being born healthy, beautiful, rich, prestigious, never have to work one's behind off a single day .....
Prince Harry was in the British Army for about 10 years:

https://www.royal.uk/prince-harrys-military-career

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/prin ... er-n547746
and don't forget Prince Andrew flying as a decoy for exocet missiles during the Falklands war.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/history/ ... ic-pullout

:heart:
Mike