What do you do for fun -- with other people?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
JeffR

Re: What do you do for fun -- with other people?

Post by JeffR »

lojong1 wrote:I could never afford bowling, movies, skating or mini-golf regularly, and definitely not driving either. Boating is fun...can Indive can pull that off Indive-cheaply where he lives?
Indive, do you have a vehicle?
How does skating cost money?!? Plenty of places to go free, stay outside.

I really enjoyed touring Arlington, never knew it was General Lee's estate and enjoyed the free NPS tour of the house and viewing the original graves in the former garden. Get a canoe or kayak and explore the tributaries to the Chesapeake bay.

:buddha1:
Therein what are 'six (types of) disrespect'? One dwells without respect, without deference for the Teacher; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Teaching; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Order; one dwells without respect, without deference for the precepts; one dwells without respect, without deference for heedfulness; one dwells without respect, without deference for hospitality. These are six (types of) disrespect.
:Vibh 945
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

JeffR wrote:How does skating cost money?
Right, so many kinds. Initial equipment cost is hard for cheapskaters like me; thrift stores help. I was thinking of ice-skating, which isn't usually possible here except in indoor rinks.
Ben

Post by Ben »

My wife would often make a joke at my expense when we got together with friends.

She would describe my social life (the meditation group sits) I attended as "getting together with other people in a darkened room and, while keeping their eyes closed, not talk to each other".

That aside, and if you're looking for things that cost little or nothing, then apart from the great ideas already mentioned, I would add, just hanging out in a cool part of town, and chatting while window shopping. While it may not be the most exciting thing in the world, it provides an opportunity to spend time and getting to know each other.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Individual

Post by Individual »

Ben wrote: She would describe my social life (the meditation group sits) I attended as "getting together with other people in a darkened room and, while keeping their eyes closed, not talk to each other".
:lol:

A very wise woman!

Does she meditate?
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Ben

Post by Ben »

Individual wrote:
Ben wrote: She would describe my social life (the meditation group sits) I attended as "getting together with other people in a darkened room and, while keeping their eyes closed, not talk to each other".
:lol:

A very wise woman!

Does she meditate?
She is indeed!
She actually teaches 'mindfulness meditation' to staff and students at the school we both work at. Just between you and me, the mindfulness meditation she teaches is actually anapana of the samatha variety.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
andre9999

Post by andre9999 »

lojong1 wrote:
JeffR wrote:How does skating cost money?
Right, so many kinds. Initial equipment cost is hard for cheapskaters like me; thrift stores help. I was thinking of ice-skating, which isn't usually possible here except in indoor rinks.
In cities as big as where he is, there will be outdoor drinks that rent skates for a couple bucks.
andre9999

Post by andre9999 »

I don't know why it never dawned on me before. Join a volunteer group. There may even be a singles volunteerism group near you.

It will be some of the most fun you'll ever have in your life.