Refusal to send toxic substances for executions

If you wish to partake in casual "off-topic" discussion amongst spiritual friends, please do so in the Lounge at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
Annapurna

Refusal to send toxic substances for executions

Post by Annapurna »

I just heard this on TV:

Some states in the USA ran out of the toxic substance that is used to execute people who are sentenced to death.

Germany refused to deliver the requested substances, for this purpose.

Am happy about this. :smile:

PS: Germany doesn't have capital punishment.
Modus.Ponens

Re: Refusal to send toxic substances for executions

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Good for Germany and for those who may live a litle longer because of that. :smile:
"He turns his mind away from those phenomena and, having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' " - Jhana Sutta
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Indeed good :)

May all forms of capital punishment soon be something of the past, everywhere. :buddha1:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
JeffR

Post by JeffR »

The company that they used to get the drug from moved its production to Italy. The Italian government refused to allow its export to the USA when they found out, so the states went to Germany and the Germans are also refusing its export to the US (the drug is used as an anesthetic in European countries).

This is a good thing. I am proud to be living in a state that has not allowed capital punishment since before my birth.
Therein what are 'six (types of) disrespect'? One dwells without respect, without deference for the Teacher; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Teaching; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Order; one dwells without respect, without deference for the precepts; one dwells without respect, without deference for heedfulness; one dwells without respect, without deference for hospitality. These are six (types of) disrespect.
:Vibh 945