For a curious mind

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
NDat

For a curious mind

Post by NDat »

I have a curious mind, so I often have many silly questions that may not relate to the practice, but they are sometimes bother me.
1. Why the Fourth Noble Truths has 4 not 3 or 5..?
2. Why the Noble Eightfold path has 8, not 7 or 10..?

Here is what I have come up so far ... ( all from my silly logic, not from any sutta/teaching ... )

From emptiness (0) -> cause/effect, dualism (right/wrong), like/dislike (2) -> 4 noble truths (4) -> Eightfold path (8)

1NT (There is dukkha) may be mapped to Right View, Right Intention (Here is dukkha)
2NT (Cause of dukkha) may be mapped to Right Speech, Right Action (These will cause dukkha)
3NT (Cessation of dukkha) may be mapped to Right Livelihood, Right Effort (These will reduce dukkha)
4NT (End of dukkha) may be mapped to Right Mindfulness, Right Concentration (These will end dukkha)

Number 2 and 8 are stable numbers of electrons in physic (Is this right?)

Again, this is just for fun and curiosity. It is not the truth. Any idea?
chownah

Re: For a curious mind

Post by chownah »

NDat,
Did you known that there is a big collection of the Buddha's teachings which are grouped into numbers....I think in English it is called the "Further Factor Collection" or something like that. The first section is for the things that were taught about things that are singular, the second section is for things that come in pairs, the third section is for things in threes,.....the ninth section is for things that come in nines......
Check it out....from what you've posted here I think you'll love it.....or perhaps it will blow all you fuses altogether!!!!!..........hahahhahahaha
chownah
NDat

Post by NDat »

Thanks, My brain will blow up soon :-)
Nicro

Post by Nicro »

How does Right Speech and action lead to suffering? The Eight Fold path is for overcoming suffering.
NDat

Post by NDat »

Nicro wrote:How does Right Speech and action lead to suffering? The Eight Fold path is for overcoming suffering.
What I really mean is Speech and Action will cause suffering if they are not 'Right". I can revise the above as:

1NT is related to View, Intention (If in View and intention, we understand/apply 1NT then it will be right, otherwise it may be wrong View/Intention)
2NT is related to Speech, Action (Speech and Action will cause suffering if they are not "right". Right Speech and Right Action will reduce/minimize the cause of dukkha)
3NT is related to Livelihood, Effort (Right Livelihood, Right Effort will reduce dukkha, Wrong will increase dukkha)
4NT is related to Mindfulness, Concentration (Right Mindfulness, Right Concentration will help to end dukkha. Wrong ones will continue dukkha)