Did Ajahn Chah ever articulate his position on Parinibbana (anupadisesa nibbana)?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
zan

Did Ajahn Chah ever articulate his position on Parinibbana (anupadisesa nibbana)?

Post by zan »

I am just a learner. Keep that in mind when you read my words.

Just to be safe, assume all of my words could be incorrect. Look to an arahant for total accuracy and confirmation.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Re: Did Ajahn Chah ever articulate his position on Parinibbana (anupadisesa nibbana)?

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

Ajahn Chah said (may be in Thai):
  • "For it was only the historical flesh-and-blood Buddha that entered Parinibbana. The true Buddha—the Buddha that is clear, radiant, knowing—we can still experience and attain today, and when we do, the heart is one."
  • As it becomes increasingly fine, we keep following it, while simultaneously awakening the mind. Eventually the breath disappears altogether and all that remains is the feeling of wakefulness. This is called meeting the Buddha. We have that clear wakeful awareness that is called Buddho, the one who knows, the one who is awake, the radiant one. It is meeting and dwelling with the Buddha, with knowledge and clarity. For it was only the historical flesh-and-blood Buddha that entered Parinibbana. The true Buddha—the Buddha that is clear, radiant, knowing—we can still experience and attain today, and when we do, the heart is one.
https://www.lionsroar.com/our-real-home-death/
Advice for Someone Who is Dying, BY AJAHN CHAH
(First published on January 1, 1994 by permission of the Abbot, Wat Pah Nanachat, Thailand.)

What did he mean by "when we do, the heart is one"?
  • I think it referred to "consciousness becomes one".
If so, Strange :thinking:

:heart:

🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐

Self ...
  • "an entirely and perfectly foolish idea" :D ~ MN22
zan

Re: Did Ajahn Chah ever articulate his position on Parinibbana (anupadisesa nibbana)?

Post by zan »

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:45 am Ajahn Chah said (may be in Thai):
  • "For it was only the historical flesh-and-blood Buddha that entered Parinibbana. The true Buddha—the Buddha that is clear, radiant, knowing—we can still experience and attain today, and when we do, the heart is one."
  • As it becomes increasingly fine, we keep following it, while simultaneously awakening the mind. Eventually the breath disappears altogether and all that remains is the feeling of wakefulness. This is called meeting the Buddha. We have that clear wakeful awareness that is called Buddho, the one who knows, the one who is awake, the radiant one. It is meeting and dwelling with the Buddha, with knowledge and clarity. For it was only the historical flesh-and-blood Buddha that entered Parinibbana. The true Buddha—the Buddha that is clear, radiant, knowing—we can still experience and attain today, and when we do, the heart is one.
(First published on January 1, 1994 by permission of the Abbot, Wat Pah Nanachat, Thailand.)

Thank you. I assume he was speaking poetically. Sounds very rich with metaphor.

I wonder if there's any record of him directly having addressed what parinibbana is though? Like, for example, how Mahasi Sayadaw decisively delineated what it is and isn't.

Just to be safe, assume all of my words could be incorrect. Look to an arahant for total accuracy and confirmation.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

zan wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:01 am
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:45 am Ajahn Chah said (may be in Thai):

I wonder if there's any record of him directly having addressed what parinibbana is though? Like, for example, how Mahasi Sayadaw decisively delineated what it is and isn't.
Agreed, but I want to use the word "figuratively".

I think, Mahasi Sayadaw always took care to be in line with the literatures. Because, I read (or) listened somewhere Mahasi Sayadaw explained like "he tend to recite pali lines in verbatim before elaborating the meaning in his talks, so as not to deviate far from the topic in hand because of his personal opinions". Of course, there were many instances where he said like "this was what I think it should be", when giving his own alternative view, imo.

Regarding anupadisesa nibbana, Ledi Sayadaw presented quite a few views from various sources/perspectives, and used to said something like "this one is my view, and you may take whatever you like". He even explicitly said somewhere that "the view about (any kind of) Nibbana is not important for liberation, as long as one is practicing on the right path, it is enough".

🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐

Self ...
  • "an entirely and perfectly foolish idea" :D ~ MN22
zan

Post by zan »

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:40 am
zan wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:01 am

Agreed, but I want to use the word "figuratively".

I think, Mahasi Sayadaw always took care to be in line with the literatures. Because, I read (or) listened somewhere Mahasi Sayadaw explained like "he tend to recite pali lines in verbatim before elaborating the meaning in his talks, so as not to deviate far from the topic in hand because of his personal opinions". Of course, there were many instances where he said like "this was what I think it should be", when giving his own alternative view, imo.

Regarding anupadisesa nibbana, Ledi Sayadaw presented quite a few views from various sources/perspectives, and used to said something like "this one is my view, and you may take whatever you like". He even explicitly said somewhere that "the view about (any kind of) Nibbana is not important for liberation, as long as one is practicing on the right path, it is enough".

Interesting. He did seem to always have the Pali at hand that's for sure. And I just read he was part of the sixth Buddhist council! So he definitely knew his stuff!

I need to read more about Ledi Sayadaw. I've heard the name a lot but never actually read much of his work.