Brahmavihara before the Buddha?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Mr. Seek

Brahmavihara before the Buddha?

Post by Mr. Seek »

Is there any information about metta, karuna, mudita, and or uppekha, being used as meditation methods, by non-Buddhist practicioners in India--before, during, and after the time of the Buddha? I'm wondering if they're a sole product of Buddhism, or something that was [partly] inherited.
asahi

Re: Brahmavihara before the Buddha?

Post by asahi »

Mr. Seek wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:16 pm Is there any information about metta, karuna, mudita, and or uppekha, being used as meditation methods, by non-Buddhist practicioners in India--before, during, and after the time of the Buddha? I'm wondering if they're a sole product of Buddhism, or something that was [partly] inherited.
No , not originate from buddhism . It seems was predate the Buddha .
In Jain scripture, the Tattvartha Sutra (Chapter 7, sutra 11), do mention : Maitri, pramoda, karunya, madhyastha:

Benevolence towards all living beings, joy at the sight of the virtuous, compassion and sympathy for the afflicted, and tolerance towards the insolent and ill-behaved.
No bashing No gossiping
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Patanjali ypga book also says about his. Its after buddha time. It says one who do this are good at those things. It didnt say about rebirth etc
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

Would love to hear more about this from others.

I've read R. Gombrich's artcle on this and it makes sense, but like the above two posters, I too have doubts on the matter. No clue if this was taught by Gotama, if it was taught as an actual meditation method or simply as a virtue to have, what its exact purpose was, etc. The only non-Buddhist peoples that I know for certain who practice some sort of loving-kindness meditation are 21st century new agers who lean towards ideas of 'love and light'. Outside of this, I know that Christians, Jains, etc., speak of notions such as metta and karuna, but I'm not so sure if they actually practice meditation based on them.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

You guys normally practice Mettabhavana alone or simultaneously with others such as Karuna, Mudita or Upekkha?

I think many years ago, I tried to meditate with four of them at once, but it doesn't work haha. I guess I aimed too high...
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

Ontheway wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:52 pm You guys normally practice Mettabhavana alone or simultaneously with others such as Karuna, Mudita or Upekkha?

I think many years ago, I tried to meditate with four of them at once, but it doesn't work haha. I guess I aimed too high...
I've tried transitioning between them in one session but it's hard. I think the goal is to examine them with wisdom and transition from one level to the other over a long period of time, much like how in element meditation one goes from gross to subtle. But I have no idea and this ain't the point of the topic. If I practice these, I do either metta or mudita.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Bhikkhu Analayo's guided meditations, and the book Compassion and Emptiness in Early Buddhist Meditation, give an approach to working through all of the Brahmavihara's. Both are freely available here:
https://www.buddhistinquiry.org/resourc ... s-analayo/

:heart:
Mike
asahi

Post by asahi »

Mettāsahagatasutta
SN 46.54

Then they went to the monastery of the wanderers who follow other paths, and exchanged greetings with the wanderers there.

Then those bhikkhus went to the park of the wanderers of other sects. They exchanged greetings with those wanderers and, when they had concluded their greetings and cordial talk, sat down to one side. The wanderers then said to them: “Friends, the ascetic Gotama teaches the Dhamma to his disciples thus: ‘Come, bhikkhus, abandon the five hindrances, the corruptions of the mind that weaken wisdom, and dwell pervading one quarter with a mind imbued with lovingkindness, likewise the second quarter, the third quarter, and the fourth quarter.

We too, friends, teach the Dhamma to our disciples thus: ‘Come, friends, abandon the five hindrances … all as above … dwell pervading the entire world with a mind imbued with lovingkindness … compassion … altruistic joy … equanimity … without ill will.’
No bashing No gossiping
Cause_and_Effect

Post by Cause_and_Effect »

It's definitely a pre Buddhist practice, found in many religions and mystic traditions and leading to heaven.
"Therein monks, that Dimension should be known wherein the eye ceases and the perception of forms fades away...the ear... the nose...the tongue... the body ceases and the perception of touch fades away...

That Dimension should be known wherein mentality ceases and the perception of mind-objects fades away.
That Dimension should be known; that Dimension should be known."

(S. IV. 98) - The Dimension beyond the All
form

Post by form »

confusedlayman wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:45 pm Patanjali ypga book also says about his. Its after buddha time. It says one who do this are good at those things. It didnt say about rebirth etc
This one I think was written around 500 years after death of Buddha.