Confession of past sins in a monastic context

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
dpcalder

Confession of past sins in a monastic context

Post by dpcalder »

It is my understanding that past sins are to be confessed among monks. Is this true? Does this entail confession of all past sins that come to mind prior to entering the monastery, to other people?
Bundokji

Re: Confession of past sins in a monastic context

Post by Bundokji »

I do not think that the concept of sin has any relevance to Buddhist monasticism. It is right view that is emphasized, in the spirit of:
Rain soddens what's covered
& doesn't sodden what's exposed.
So open up what's covered up,
so that it won't get soddened by the rain.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

dpcalder wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:36 pm It is my understanding that past sins are to be confessed among monks. Is this true? Does this entail confession of all past sins that come to mind prior to entering the monastery, to other people?
No, I don't think you need to confess past sins or bad deeds, unless they're like murder or killing your parents.
Once you become a monk, from that time forward you have to confess wherever you do something against the rules.
But the past is the past, I don't remember anything in vinaya about confessing stuff from before you are a monk.
So relax, your secrets can stay secrets.
dpcalder

Post by dpcalder »

Bundokji wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:23 pm I do not think that the concept of sin has any relevance to Buddhist monasticism. It is right view that is emphasized, in the spirit of:
Rain soddens what's covered
& doesn't sodden what's exposed.
So open up what's covered up,
so that it won't get soddened by the rain.
True, I shouldn’t have used a word foreign to the context