Brahmins

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
one_awakening

Brahmins

Post by one_awakening »

Why does The Buddha refer to Brahmins a lot? Why doesn't he just say "people"?
“You only lose what you cling to”
TRobinson465

Re: Brahmins

Post by TRobinson465 »

Because they were brahmins specifically. And that was often how they talked back then.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
one_awakening

Post by one_awakening »

TRobinson465 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:50 am Because they were brahmins specifically. And that was often how they talked back then.
What do you mean?
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

one_awakening wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:10 am
TRobinson465 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:50 am Because they were brahmins specifically. And that was often how they talked back then.
What do you mean?
They were brahmins specifically, and not some other caste (when referred to as such in the sutta). and it was normal to address people of the brahmin caste as brahmins back then. like how it was normal to address nobles in europe by thier titles back in the day. I think brahmins even got offended if you simply referred to them as people back then.

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
one_awakening

Post by one_awakening »

TRobinson465 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:49 am They were brahmins specifically, and not some other caste (when referred to as such in the sutta). and it was normal to address people of the brahmin caste as brahmins back then. like how it was normal to address nobles in europe by thier titles back in the day. I think brahmins even got offended if you simply referred to them as people back then.
Yes but why does he specifically point out Brahmins when the teaching applies to any unenlightened person?
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

one_awakening wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:02 am
TRobinson465 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:49 am They were brahmins specifically, and not some other caste (when referred to as such in the sutta). and it was normal to address people of the brahmin caste as brahmins back then. like how it was normal to address nobles in europe by thier titles back in the day. I think brahmins even got offended if you simply referred to them as people back then.
Yes but why does he specifically point out Brahmins when the teaching applies to any unenlightened person?
He mostly has conversations with Brahmins or śramaṇas, for which you usually just see “ascetic”. Ascetics and Brahmins means śramaṇas and Brahmins.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

His teachings apply to anyone for the most part but he was talking to that specific person or group of people.

Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Brahmins were the religious caste, the intellectuals and transmitters of metaphysical and cultural truth. They would have been the ones most interested in what the Buddha had to say, and would have approached him to hear his alternative teaching. The Buddha would have talked about "ascetics and brahmins" because they were engaged in the same type of discourse and had a similar interest in salvation and metaphysics.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:53 pm Brahmins were the religious caste, the intellectuals and transmitters of metaphysical and cultural truth. They would have been the ones most interested in what the Buddha had to say, and would have approached him to hear his alternative teaching. The Buddha would have talked about "ascetics and brahmins" because they were engaged in the same type of discourse and had a similar interest in salvation and metaphysics.
Is there a link between karma and being born as a Brahmin in the metaphysics of that time? Because i have read somewhere that the warrior caste is the most suitable for awakening.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Bundokji wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:12 am
Sam Vara wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:53 pm Brahmins were the religious caste, the intellectuals and transmitters of metaphysical and cultural truth. They would have been the ones most interested in what the Buddha had to say, and would have approached him to hear his alternative teaching. The Buddha would have talked about "ascetics and brahmins" because they were engaged in the same type of discourse and had a similar interest in salvation and metaphysics.
Is there a link between karma and being born as a Brahmin in the metaphysics of that time? Because i have read somewhere that the warrior caste is the most suitable for awakening.
Good question. I can only recall the sutta in which the Buddha says that there is Dhamma and virtue in all four castes, not (as was argued) only in the Brahmins. (That's the first part of DN 27, the Aggaññasutta). So I might be completely wrong here, but the potential for awakening would seem to be completely independent from caste.
one_awakening

Post by one_awakening »

Thanks, that answers my question