Complete Udana translation by A. Thanissaro, PDF, Epub, Mobi

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
BKh

Complete Udana translation by A. Thanissaro, PDF, Epub, Mobi

Post by BKh »

I just noticed that Ajahn Thanissaro has completed his translation of the Udana. It's not on Access to Insight yet (although most of the suttas are already translated and on the site) but it can be downloaded from http://dhammatalks.org/ebook_index.html in three formats: PDF, Epub and Mobi (for the Kindle).

In addition to the translation, it includes a long introduction that both gives an overview of the Udana as well as thoughts on approaching it as a reader. There are several appendixes. One addresses the shortcomings of modern historical approaches to the text. Two deal with other udana style suttas in the canon. And the fourth lists the eminent disciples that appear in the text.

There are two other modern translations of the Udana that are easily accessible. One is by John D. Ireland. Selected suttas appear on accesstoinsight.org. It is published by BPS in a single volume along with the Itivuttaka. This is a valuable book to have in any sutta library.

The other is by Venerable Anandajoti here:
http://ancient-buddhist-texts.net/Engli ... /index.htm
One distinguishing characteristic of this translation is the inclusion of the entire text without any repetitions removed (as is usually done with a "..."). Numerous version are available in including Pali, English, and Pali-English interlinear. The English only version is available as HTML, PDF, Epub, Mobi and Mp3 Audio (over 5 hours playing time).

I find that the Udana works well as a sutta-a-day practice, similar to what I describe here for the Dhammapada. The only trick is that some suttas a quite short and some are quite long (especially in Ven. Anandajoti's version). But this is an issue with almost any text besides the Itivuttaka and the Dhammapada.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
RMHayes

Re: Complete Udana translation by A. Thanissaro, PDF, Epub, Mobi

Post by RMHayes »

There is also the Pali Text Society edition translated by Peter Masefield first published in 1994 and reprinted in 2007, as well as Masefield's translation of the Udana commentary.
BKh

Re: Complete Udana translation by A. Thanissaro, PDF, Epub, Mobi

Post by BKh »

I just learned that this translation is now available in print from Metta Forest Monastery.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |