What exactly is 'Unbinding'?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
ground

Re: What exactly is 'Unbinding'?

Post by ground »

Sarva wrote:It appears that the end of suffering can be explained as knowing that "the seen is merely what is seen" and one is not "with that".
"Knowing that ... is ..." may not be appropriate.
Why?
Because it reads "you should train yourself thus" which means to condition oneself or to cultivate a view. So it is not a description of a sort of "how it really is" that could be known and that by knowing this there would be "unbinding" but it is a mental cultivation that may lead to a kind of "(non-)perception" that is not described here.
If "final" perception would be as it is decribed than it would be conditioned by training and most likely this could not be called "unbinding" or "nibbana".
The statement "This, just this, is the end of stress" in the context of this training therefore can only refer to a temporary result.

Kind regards
Last edited by ground on Tue May 01, 2012 3:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I may have missed it, but can someone tell me what Pali word is being translated here as "unbinding"?

Thanks.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

"Overcome the liar by truth." (Dhp 223)
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

I may have missed it, but can someone tell me what Pali word is being translated here as "unbinding"?

Thanks.

Metta,
If we are following Ven Thanissaro, I would think it would be nibbana.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Yes, that's just his translation of nibbana:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/glossary.html#n" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/index-subject.html#n" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Mike
vinasp

Post by vinasp »

Hi everyone,

In the AN 4.179 passage "totally unbound" is parinibbayanti.

Are there any passages which are regarded as unambiguous references to
the attainment of parinibbana in this life?

Regards, Vincent.
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

OK, thanks, it just seems strange seeing nibbana portrayed as a verb... that's all.

Metta,
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

"Overcome the liar by truth." (Dhp 223)
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

OK, thanks, it just seems strange seeing nibbana portrayed as a verb... that's all.

Metta,
Probably not so strange.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... averb.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Hi,

The Chachakka sutta, which Buddha called "the Dhamma admirable in the beginning, admirable in the middle, admirable in the end; the holy life both in its particulars & in its essence, entirely complete, surpassingly pure", - this sutta brings together 'anicca', Conditioned Arising, 'anatta', and Nibbana:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta, Dmytro
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

Dmytro wrote:The Chachakka sutta, which Buddha called "the Dhamma admirable in the beginning, admirable in the middle, admirable in the end; the holy life both in its particulars & in its essence, entirely complete, surpassingly pure", - this sutta brings together 'anicca', Conditioned Arising, 'anatta', and Nibbana:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:goodpost:
Sarva

Post by Sarva »

Thank you Dmytro and Ñāṇa
This quote has helped!

metta
“Both formerly & now, it is only stress that I describe, and the cessation of stress.” — SN 22:86