Did Buddha say drinking Alcohol is bad?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Did Buddha say drinking Alcohol is bad?

Post by SarathW »

I just listened to a Dhamma talk by Sri Lankan Buddhist monk (in Sinhalese Language). He said drinking alcohol and eating meat is not an unwholesome activity. He said that he does not say drinking alcohol is good.
Throughout the surmon he never mentioned that alchol lead to headlessnes.

The question I have is.

a) Where does drinking alcohol is fitting in Noble Eightfold Path
b) Did Buddha proclaim the Five Precepts and which Sutta do you find it?

:thinking:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
cooran

Re: Did Buddha say drinking Alcohol is bad?

Post by cooran »

Hello SarathW,

The Five Precepts are in this Sutta.

Abhisanda Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Taking intoxicants is not included in the ten immoral kammas (dasākusala kammapaṭhā), but it leads to other unwholesome kammas and heedlessness.

A Talk on Intoxicants

However, it is stated as the cause of rebirth in hell, if done frequently or habitually.
“Monks, drinking intoxicants, if done frequently or habitually, leads to rebirth in hell, rebirth as an animal or as a hungry ghost. At the very least, the result of this evil deed when born as a human being is that one becomes a mad person.”¹
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Dear Cooran and Bhante Pesala

Thank you for your prompt reply.
This particular monk is talking about the Buddha's final word:

Sabba papassa akaranam,
Kusalassa upasampada,
Sacitta-pariyodapanam,
Etam Buddhanusasanam

[Sabba (All) papassa (evil) a (no) karanam (do)
Kusalassa (Good) upasampada (do, cultivate)
Sacitta (one's mind) pariyodapanam (purify)
Etam (this is) Buddha (Buddha's) anusasanam (advice )]
=============
His argument was drinking alcohol is not included in the first phrase "Sabba papassa akaranam"
I do not agree with him because this include the Panca Sila (five precepts)

He was talking about the five hindarances in the second phrase "Kusalassa upasampada" without mention about drinking alcohol.
I appreciate your input.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
vishuroshan

Post by vishuroshan »

kindly check and let me know if buddha mentioned Alcohol consumtion in Nobel eightfold path. check MAGGA VIBHANGA SUTTA / SACHCHA VIBHANGA SUTTA / CHUNDA KAMMARAPUTTA SUTTA ..etc. even Coca Cola has certain alcoho percentage is it an UNWHOLSOME DEED? people get toxicated by weatlh, beauty,money,power,postions. i recently hear that one of the murderes was a non alcoholic, vegeterian.
vishuroshan

Post by vishuroshan »

i would like to tell you all that PANCHA SILA is not a buddha deshana, where does it mentione about gossips in pancha sila? abusive speech? . totaly there are 7 percepts. check the suttas where buddha has described NOBEL EIGHTFOLD PATH. you will know.

3 bodily actions and 4 verbal actions (total 7)

Metta
ajohn4717

Post by ajohn4717 »

SarathW wrote:I just listened to a Dhamma talk by Sri Lankan Buddhist monk (in Sinhalese Language). He said drinking alcohol and eating meat is not an unwholesome activity. He said that he does not say drinking alcohol is good.
Throughout the surmon he never mentioned that alchol lead to headlessnes.

The question I have is.

a) Where does drinking alcohol is fitting in Noble Eightfold Path
b) Did Buddha proclaim the Five Precepts and which Sutta do you find it?

:thinking:

One of the Five Precepts in Buddhism warns against taking intoxicants causing heedlessness. But since these are precepts and not commandments, every Buddhist has to approach them in their own way. Some Buddhists refrain from alcohol and drugs altogether, and some are casual/social drinkers.
zamotcr

Post by zamotcr »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Taking intoxicants is not included in the ten immoral kammas (dasākusala kammapaṭhā), but it leads to other unwholesome kammas and heedlessness.

A Talk on Intoxicants

However, it is stated as the cause of rebirth in hell, if done frequently or habitually.
“Monks, drinking intoxicants, if done frequently or habitually, leads to rebirth in hell, rebirth as an animal or as a hungry ghost. At the very least, the result of this evil deed when born as a human being is that one becomes a mad person.”
Hi Bhante,

This seems to be later than earlier. It is said that in early sangha alcohol was not forbidden. Monks were allowed to accept booze. (Source: http://huayanzang.blogspot.it/2012/03/w ... cohol.html)

So why it would lead you to hell for example? As I understand, what could leave you to hell are the actions done while drunk...
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Why would drinking alcohol lead to car accidents?

Driving a car is a relatively simple task, that most can do without accidents. However, add even a small amount of alcohol to the equation and the risks increase significantly.

Controlling the mind is a difficult task, that most cannot do without accidents. Add even a small amount of alcohol to the equation, let alone frequent and habitual use, and the chances of controlling the mind diminish exponentially.

There are other forms of intoxication, which are equally dangerous, or even more dangerous — fame, power, pride, etc. Alcohol taken frequently and habitually will destroy any sense of urgency regarding the spiritual quest, quite apart from the actual physical harm to one's health.

The early Saṅgha were all Noble Ones who knew without being told that sexual intercourse, using money, drinking intoxicants, wrong-livelihood, etc., were unsuitable for one gone forth as a recluse (see the Upakkilesa Sutta, Book of Fours). It was only later, when men with inferior perfections, or with ulterior motives, joined the Saṅgha that rules needed to be laid down and only after transgressions had been made.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
zamotcr

Post by zamotcr »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Why would drinking alcohol lead to car accidents?

Driving a car is a relatively simple task, that most can do without accidents. However, add even a small amount of alcohol to the equation and the risks increase significantly.

Controlling the mind is a difficult task, that most cannot do without accidents. Add even a small amount of alcohol t

o the equation, let alone frequent and habitual use, and the chances of controlling the mind diminish exponentially.

There are other forms of intoxication, which are equally dangerous, or even more dangerous — fame, power, pride, etc. Alcohol taken frequently and habitually will destroy any sense of urgency regarding the spiritual quest, quite apart from the actual physical harm to one's health.

The early Saṅgha were all Noble Ones who knew without being told that sexual intercourse, using money, drinking intoxicants, wrong-livelihood, etc., were unsuitable for one gone forth as a recluse (see the Upakkilesa Sutta, Book of Fours). It was only later, when men with inferior perfections, or with ulterior motives, joined the Saṅgha that rules needed to be laid down and only after transgressions had been made.
Drinking is not the same as drunken.

You can safely drink one cup of wine and still be able to legally drive and safely. You're making wrong assumptions.

Wine is good to the heart. I know quite a few people who drink and still are very spiritual, the thing is different is you're drunk every time. But I don't see how moderate wine or beer, can lead you to hell. Makes absolutely no sense.

Of course if you are always drunk is highly probable you would do bad bad things because you are not on your own and this can lead to hell. But for one drink you loose control and ethics? No way. I don't drink because I don't like it and I took the 5 precepts, but I don't see nothing harmful for occasional drink.

Drink occasionally is not equal to be drunk.
vishuroshan

Post by vishuroshan »

guys, i wud like to show you another point. murderers or any other criminal does not drink when planning the crime (robery/murder/rape..etc). but sometimes just before they proceed with the crime they take alcoholo to make their minds to that state. all the alocoholic people are not criminals who do unwholsome deeds. again CHETANA(intention) is the KAMMA.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

zamotcr wrote:I don't see how moderate wine or beer, can lead you to hell. Makes absolutely no sense.
That's not what the Buddha said, and it's not what I quoted him as saying, is it?
“Monks, drinking intoxicants, if done frequently or habitually, leads to rebirth in hell, rebirth as an animal or as a hungry ghost. At the very least, the result of this evil deed when born as a human being is that one becomes a mad person.”
As for one glass of wine not affecting your driving, you should check up on the facts.
  • Any alcohol, even a small drink, will impair driving ability.
  • Alcohol takes effect quickly but wears off slowly.
  • The only safe course is not to drink and drive.
  • Alcohol is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream, affecting the brain and impairing driving ability.
vishuroshan

Post by vishuroshan »

buddha said it to monks. Monk is a person who wears a yellow robe and is a synmol of purity. if you refer DHAMMAPADA, you will come across with some sermons of buddha to monks saying that monk cannot even indulge in sensual pleasures. that because they show their purity to the world. and they cannot stay as a lay prson. if he lives like a lay person, because of Cheating, lying, he will go to hell.
Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

what part of 'refrain from taking intoxicants' dont you understand?

have you ever heard alcohol referred to as intoxocating liquor
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28