Response from member of the Burmese Sangha to U Wirathu

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
drpaulfuller

Response from member of the Burmese Sangha to U Wirathu

Post by drpaulfuller »

There has been very little response from members of the Burmese Sangha to U Wirathu and the 969 movement. I recently requested that Venerable Candima
from Ye, Mon State share his thoughts. His ideas might be of interest to some on this list. They are found here:

http://drpaulfuller.wordpress.com/2014/ ... -movement/

All the best.
Anagarika

Re: Response from member of the Burmese Sangha to U Wirathu

Post by Anagarika »

This is an important statement and it is good that you helped with the translation, as the west needs to understand that that actions and words of U Wirathu are absolutely incendiary, corrupt and contrary to all that the Dhamma stands for. THere should never exist in Burma or any other country a condition where Buddhist monks and nuns promote violence, especially towards their Muslim neighbors. Buddhists need to set the better, and best, examples of how to manage difficulties among cultures within countries.
walkart

Post by walkart »

Good, good !
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

Excellent. It was about time that a voice like this from burma is to be heard on the fascist 969
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
Bhikkhu Cintita

Post by Bhikkhu Cintita »

The international press tends to be driven more by sensationalism that fairness. "Religious violence" gets good press, while attempts at reconciliation go unheard. There has been a response by the Burmese Sangha against the statements of U Wrathu and the 969 movement that has been largely unreported. Here are a couple of relevant links:

http://www.rohingyablogger.com/2013/10/ ... eople.html
http://www.rfa.org/english/news/myanmar ... 85347.html

Bear in mind that Ashin Nyanissara is one of the most eminent monks in Myanmar, while U Wirathu is a relatively minor and junior player. And yet the latter gets the press.

Moreover, the response of the Myanmar Sangha is complicated by the simultaneous defence of U Wirathu from the attacks of the international press, such as the Time's Asia edition "Face of Buddhist Terror" cover. U Wirathu is a lot of things, but he is not a terrorist. I am not aware that he has advocated anything stronger than boycotting Muslim businesses. If he were to incite someone to lethal violence he would simply, by Vinaya rule, no longer be a monk, and that would be the end of that. So while the Sangha in Myanmar seems by and large to condemn U Wirathu's statements, it also feels compelled to defend the reputation of the Myanmar Sangha from an egregiously irresponsible international press. But then I've seen this in turn represented in the international press bluntly as Burmese monks coming U Wirathu's defense.

So, don't believe everything you do and do not read! The Rakhaine-Rohingya conflict is certainly real and tragic. It also has a complex set of causes and conditions, among which religious affiliation is largely incidental. We should be encouraged that there are cool-headed and compassionate people at work, even if we do not always hear of them.