How do I stop wanting attention & acknowledgment?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Strive4Karuna

Re: How do I stop wanting attention & acknowledgment?

Post by Strive4Karuna »

Very helpful thanks people
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

Think on the drawbacks of it when it comes up. Having that attention and acknowledgement is like having money from taking out a loan. You're going to have to struggle harder and harder to keep it coming at a satisfactory level, and eventually you will fail. It will be painful, and in the meantime what have you gotten? A life directed by the values of others.
binocular

Post by binocular »

To be fair, being overly dependent on others does potentially have a good side to it - it can lead one to people who will be able to explain the drawbacks of being overly dependent on others and who can point out some alternatives.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Strive4Karuna

Post by Strive4Karuna »

I think there may be a correlation between my need for attention & acknowledgment and being overly dependent on others because that definitely sounds like me. I will try to be mindful and see how it goes.
Kamran

Post by Kamran »

I try to remind myself that Praise and acknowledgement just means you are conforming to somebody else's values, or society's values - the values of people who suffer. I prefer the values of those who have freed themselves, the values of the noble ones.
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi
chris98e

Post by chris98e »

First of all I might be the only one saying this but positive attention and acknowledgement can be a good thing. Those two things give people the will to live, for example doing a great deed or helping out a friend or even being good at something like bowling or chess. Second of all I don't believe in wanting attention and acknowledgment to make others feel like poop, for instance going into one profession instead of the other (i.e. going into business to buy a 60,000 dollar car instead of the medical field and helping others.) So it's healthy to want some kind of attention and acknowledgment just not the conceited kind. :bow: :thumbsup: :namaste: But then again what do I know. tomorrow I'm going to the store to see if they sell nicotine patches over the counter.