Etiquette & How to Address a Monk

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
ccook70

Etiquette & How to Address a Monk

Post by ccook70 »

Hello,

I would like to take retreats in the future.
At the monastery, how would I address the monks when speaking?

How to address a monk in written letter form?

Thanks!

Corey
pilgrim

Re: Etiquette & How to Address a Monk

Post by pilgrim »

You can't go wrong if you just address him as "Bhante", whether by speech or in writing.
ccook70

Post by ccook70 »

:thanks:
ccook70

Post by ccook70 »

You mean "Bhante, (Last Name)" or just "Bhante?"
cooran

Post by cooran »

Just "Bhante".

Bhante or Ajahn by Ajahn Sujato
http://sujato.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/bhante-or-ajahn/

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
ccook70

Post by ccook70 »

:thanks:
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

There's also other matters of etiquette like not pointing your feet at people, especially monks.
Minor Matters of Etiquette

Vinaya also extends into the realm of convention and custom. Such observances, which it mentions, are not 'rules' but skillful means of manifesting beautiful behaviour. In monasteries, there is some emphasis on such matters as a means of establishing harmony, order and pleasant relationships within a community. Lay people may be interested in applying such conventions for their own development of sensitivity, but it should not be considered as something that is necessarily expected of them.

Firstly, there is the custom of bowing to a shrine or teacher. This is done when first entering their presence or when taking leave. Done gracefully, at the appropriate time, this is a beautiful gesture, which honours the person who does it; at an inappropriate time, done compulsively, it can appear foolish to onlookers. Another common gesture of respect is to place the hands so that the palms are touching, the fingers pointing upwards and the hands held immediately in front of the chest. This is a pleasant means of greeting, bidding farewell, saluting the end of a Dharma talk or concluding an offering.

Body language is something that is well understood in Buddhist cultures. Apart from the obvious reminder to sit up for a Dharma talk rather than loll or recline on the floor one shows a manner of deference by ducking slightly if having to walk between a monk and the person he is speaking to. Similarly, one would not stand looming over a monk to talk to him or offer him something, but rather approach him at the level at which he is sitting.

"Good is restraint in body,
restraint in speech is good,
good is restraint in mind,
everywhere restraint is good;
the bhikkhu everywhere restrained
is from all dukkha free."

Dharmapada no. 361
http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/bud ... yguide.htm
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Bhante is the safest form of address for a monk, and Ayya for a nun. Ajahn, Tan, Ashin, Sayadaw are country specific terms (\former two Thai and the latter two Burmese).
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
chris98e

Post by chris98e »

Thanks for letting me know to address a monk as Bhante. An interesting story, I brought a friend to a Buddhist Temple. And after we both got done bowing to the Buddha a monk came out and my friend started talking to the monk about a dream he had or visions he had or something like that. After the monk was done talking to my friend, my friend put his arm around the monk as a sign of appreciation. Then the monk looked at me to see if I knew that it was inappropriate to touch a monk, even if the touching is an act of kindness. I quickly told my friend that its inappropriate to touch a monk. I knew only because a few days latter I read on the internet that it's inappropriate to touch a monk i.e. handshaking. :buddha2:
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Re:Thailand...you never hear 'Bhante'...usually (phonetically) 'Loong Paw' (Venerable Father (for abbots and monks one does, or doesn't know (generally speaking))...or 'Loong Pee' (Venerable Uncle' (usually used when addressing a monk one knows))...or 'Loong Dta' (Venerable Grandfather' (an old(er) monk, known or not))...and there's always 'Ajahn'...but not to an abbot (always 'Loong Paw')...if the monk has a title ('Tan Chao', 'Maha', 'Pra Khru', etc.) it's best to use it...everyone might not agree but this has been my experience...
forestmat

Post by forestmat »

appicchato wrote:Re:Thailand...you never hear 'Bhante'...usually (phonetically) 'Loong Paw' (Venerable Father (for abbots and monks one does, or doesn't know (generally speaking))...or 'Loong Pee' (Venerable Uncle' (usually used when addressing a monk one knows))...or 'Loong Dta' (Venerable Grandfather' (an old(er) monk, known or not))...and there's always 'Ajahn'...but not to an abbot (always 'Loong Paw')...if the monk has a title ('Tan Chao', 'Maha', 'Pra Khru', etc.) it's best to use it...everyone might not agree but this has been my experience...
Namassakarn,

agreed, I generally address monks as Tan Ajahn, or alternatively Luangpor if I'm certain or suspect they might be the abbot (in Thailand).
Hartridge Buddhist Monastery, Devon, England