the most popular Sutta

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
chris98e

the most popular Sutta

Post by chris98e »

What is the most popular Sutta? I say it has to be the "What the teaching is not" Sutta, the very first Sutta of the Long discourses Nikaya, for example Mathew is the first part of the Gospel out of Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John. So, it's no surprise that it's the most popular part of the Gospel. So, what is the most popular Sutta. Once again I say it's the "What the teaching is not" Sutta. Actually I know which sutta is the most popular. It's probably the one where the guy gets hit with a dart. :buddha2: :bow:
DNS
Site Admin

Re: the most popular Sutta

Post by DNS »

I'd guess:

Ratana Sutta - Sn 2.1 paritta (protective) sutta, often chanted; for those coming to Buddhism with a more faith emphasis
Kalama Sutta - AN 3.65 for those coming to Buddhism with a more inquisitive, skeptical mind
Mahāsatipaṭṭhāna Sutta - DN 22 for those coming to Buddhism from / with a more contemplative, meditation emphasis
chris98e

Post by chris98e »

David N. Snyder wrote:I'd guess:

Ratana Sutta - Sn 2.1 paritta (protective) sutta, often chanted; for those coming to Buddhism with a more faith emphasis
Kalama Sutta - AN 3.65 for those coming to Buddhism with a more inquisitive, skeptical mind
Mahāsatipaṭṭhāna Sutta - DN 22 for those coming to Buddhism from / with a more contemplative, meditation emphasis
Are one of those Sutta's the one where someone gets hit by a dart or two and doesn't want the dart pulled out unless he knows the clan of the person who shot the dart belongs two. And I think the Buddha is trying to explain to somebody that he doesn't discuss philosophical when it comes to ethics? :buddha2: :bow:
Last edited by chris98e on Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

chris98e wrote:Are one of those Sutta's the one where someone gets hit by a dart or two and doesn't want the dart pulled out unless he knows the clan of the person who shot the dart belongs to.
No. The Simile of the Poisoned Arrow is found in the Cūḷamālunkyaputta Sutta of the Middle Length Sayings.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

chris98e wrote: Are one of those Sutta's the one where someone gets hit by a dart or two and doesn't want the dart pulled out unless he knows the clan of the person who shot the dart belongs two. And I think the Buddha is trying to explain to somebody that he doesn't get philosophical when it comes to ethics?
It sounds like you mean MN 63 (Cula-Malunkyovada Sutta), possibly with some elements from SN 36.6 (Sallatha Sutta). Perhaps also MN 105 (Sunakkhatta Sutta) is what you mean since it contains a parable with a similar premise to that in MN 63. Likewise, there's a similar discussion in MN 101 (Devadaha Sutta)