Anicca and Stable Atoms.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
indian_buddhist

Anicca and Stable Atoms.

Post by indian_buddhist »

The Buddha said all Conditioned things are subject to change. However there are stable Atoms which never decay and remain forever. If this is true then how is Anicca valid then?.
Identification with my country is one of my fetters.
waterchan

Re: Anicca and Stable Atoms.

Post by waterchan »

What happens when this universe ends?
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
indian_buddhist

waterchan wrote:What happens when this universe ends?

There is no conclusive evidence as yet that the universe ends
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

I bet if you looked long enough at those atoms you'd find they aren't so stable after all.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

indian_buddhist wrote:
waterchan wrote:What happens when this universe ends?

There is no conclusive evidence as yet that the universe ends
But the theory is supported by both modern science and presented as a fact in the Buddha's teachings.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

indian_buddhist wrote:The Buddha said all Conditioned things are subject to change. However there are stable Atoms which never decay and remain forever. If this is true then how is Anicca valid then?.
The question is: what "conditioned things" is the Buddha talking about? You should be able to enumerate all of them.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

tiltbillings wrote:
indian_buddhist wrote:The Buddha said all Conditioned things are subject to change. However there are stable Atoms which never decay and remain forever. If this is true then how is Anicca valid then?.
The question is: what "conditioned things" is the Buddha talking about? You should be able to enumerate all of them.
I will horribly murder anyone who gives away the answer this question.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

The atoms may be stable but the molecules they form together with other atoms are not.

The point is can the mind put it's trust in a stable atom to provide lasting satisfaction, not likely.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

There are no stable atoms. Where did you hear there are stable, eternal atoms? Even the building blocks of atoms, like protons and electrons, decay and change.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
chownah

Post by chownah »

waterchan wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
I will horribly murder anyone who gives away the answer this question.
Would you please clarify this statement?
chownah
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

chownah wrote: Would you please clarify this statement?
chownah
What is to clarify? He'll likely slowly dismember you if you were to give away the answer to the question.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
indian_buddhist

tiltbillings wrote:
chownah
What is to clarify? He'll likely slowly dismember you if you were to give away the answer to the question.
How is this attitude different from Christians who argued with scientists and killed/persecuted them when they said that Earth was flat or with those Muslims who argue with scientists that Human Evolution is false ?.

Religion has to stand up with science otherwise Religion has no basis. Every sensible human will agree with me.
indian_buddhist

Coming back to the question, yes there are stable Atoms which (considering the progress of science till now) have shown to live on to forever. However some scientists have given a Theoretical argument of Proton Decay (which has not been shown to have conclusive evidence till now). If Proton Decay is proven by conclusive evidence then Buddha's assertion that all conditioned things will eventually decay would hold true.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

indian_buddhist wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
chownah
How is this attitude different from Christians who argued with scientists and killed/persecuted them when they said that Earth was flat or with those Muslims who argue with scientists that Human Evolution is false ?.

Religion has to stand up with science otherwise Religion has no basis. Every sensible human will agree with me.

It's a joke, son, it's a joke. http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/itsajoke.wav

I noticed that you did not address my question: The question is: what "conditioned things" is the Buddha talking about? You should be able to enumerate all of them.

indian_buddhist

tiltbillings wrote:
indian_buddhist wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:What is to clarify? He'll likely slowly dismember you if you were to give away the answer to the question.

It's a joke, son, it's a joke. http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/itsajoke.wav

I noticed that you did not address my question: The question is: what "conditioned things" is the Buddha talking about? You should be able to enumerate all of them.
what are you talking about?. Human beings have atoms which never die.....So where does the theory of Anicca proved that matter comes to an end?. specifically answer my question.