Ajahn Brahms "Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women..."

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
James the Giant

Re: Ajahn Brahms "Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women..

Post by James the Giant »

For all those interested in the legality and legitimacy of the Bhikkhunis, have a read of this. It's only 30 pages or so, and it turns out there are at least two legal ways to ordain a new bhikkhuni, one involving nuns, and one involving bhikkhus.
http://blogs.dickinson.edu/buddhistethi ... -final.pdf
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

I didn't see this link in the thread. Some of the comments are very interesting.

Banning Ajahn Brahm’s speech on nuns was a spectacular own-goal
http://newlotus.buddhistdoor.com/en/news/d/40255

And see this thread: http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... ad#p241054

:anjali:
Mike
LinLin64

Post by LinLin64 »

The Forgotten Nuns is a really good movie. Well worth a watch.

Ajahn Brahm's paper is a very good one. There is a new petition that asks that he be invited to give it next year. The petition reads in part:

'We value free and open dialogue. We therefore ask that the UNDV, in accordance with Millennium Development Goal 3, promotes dialogue about the participation of women in contemporary Theravada Buddhism by inviting Ajahn Brahm to publicly present his gender equality paper at the next UNDV conference in 2015.'

I've signed it and if you want to here is the link:
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Un ... e/?mTiLrab
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

LinLin64 wrote:The Forgotten Nuns is a really good movie. Well worth a watch.

Ajahn Brahm's paper is a very good one. There is a new petition that asks that he be invited to give it next year. The petition reads in part:

'We value free and open dialogue. We therefore ask that the UNDV, in accordance with Millennium Development Goal 3, promotes dialogue about the participation of women in contemporary Theravada Buddhism by inviting Ajahn Brahm to publicly present his gender equality paper at the next UNDV conference in 2015.'

I've signed it and if you want to here is the link:
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Un ... e/?mTiLrab
Just signed it. Can I ask the admins to move this post to a new thread so that the appeal for this petition does not get lost in here. :namaste:
now realm

Post by now realm »

Greetings,

I'm aware that currently this is a controversial hot topic but would like to share my views here.

Personally, I find that it is not a reasonable and just statement to say that the gender inequality issue is the stumbling block to bhikkhuni ordination in the Theravada tradition in Asia.

I think the obvious fundamental legit problem is purely and solely due to the non-existence of a quorum of legit Theravada bhikkhunis to ordain another and in finding a legit mechanism to formalize it. Therefore, gender or no gender equality is obviously not the cause of this current predicament, but I find that people unreasonably make an issue out of it possibly as an excuse and ground to proceed. But, I may be wrong.

The fact is, there were already plenty of Mahayana bhikkhunis and "Theravada" bhikkhunis existing in many parts of Asia before this controversy. So, to me I find it is baseless to pinpoint gender inequality as the fundamental problem in bhikkhuni ordination in Asia when in actual fact there was none and was also not true.

Strictly speaking, to me I think gender equality is a mental construct. It appears idealistic and if I'm not mistaken, it is a worldly justification perceived as favorable and workable, but not necessary true, as I see it and understand.

But, it's my personal view, so pls do not take it personally. *namaste*
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Sea Turtle wrote:"Nuns Leave; and Explain Why"
http://awakeningtruth.org/teaching/writ ... of-support
Came across this a few months back. It features the letters of some nuns describing the circumstances under which they decided to leave the communities associated with Amaravati and Chithurst (circa 2010).
:anjali:
Has any progress been made since then?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
now realm

Post by now realm »

Hi again,

As I understand it, I think the introduction of the idea of gender equality into the Buddha's Sangha is a much later and recent addition. During the Buddha's time, I believe there was no such idea.

The Buddha had first established the Bhikkhu Sangha. Five or six years later, there was a persistent request by Mahapajapati, and the Buddha administered the 8 garudhammas to allow her to be admitted into the Bhikkhu Sangha. With regards to this, I think we had to have confidence in the Buddha in what He knew best for the bhikkhunis and for the sake of the Sangha.

During the Buddha's tenure, the Sangha was not split into various sects and vinayas as what we have today. So, to say that the Buddha had allowed His disciples to switch and choose the sect and vinaya that they like after their formal ordination sounds odd and contradictory. It sounds more like a later and recent addition or suggestion.

In Maha Samaya sutta, the Great Meeting or Assembly was a gathering of the Buddha with His 500 arahant bhikkhus in which a host of devatas came and gathered to see the Buddha and His Bhikkhu Sangha. In Maha parinibbana sutta, the bhikkhus were called to assemble just before the parinibbana of the Buddha and there were many devas who came and gathered too.

From the above suttas, hopefully the gender equality dispute will be put to rest not aggravated, and an amicable mutual agreement be reached so that all can move on peacefully. *namaste*
now realm

Post by now realm »

Hi again,

Thought I share this.

If we stop defining, everything is existentially perfect and beautiful the way it is, with nothing to be done or undone. We need now only to act graciously accordingly to the true dhamma which is the perfect consequences of our own individual creations or desires in harmony with the mystery of the universe. Any meddling of it as a result of our own unhappiness or discontentment is in itself disrupting and disturbing its true nature and harmony.

The Buddha rediscovered the true nature of truth and expounded it to us. Buddha did not invent any new rules or conventions but revealed the truth of the true dhammas and taught to us the way of life and discipline according to this true dhammas that are in harmony with the universal law of nature. Everything is perfect and beautiful at it is until we try to make it according to our definitions. *peace*