Sankhara aggregate

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Spiny Norman

Re: Sankhara aggregate

Post by Spiny Norman »

acinteyyo wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:On the adjective/noun distinction, are you saying that sankhara = sankhata dhamma?
I think you could say so.
If so, then logically the aggregates as a whole are sankhata dhamma.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Spiny Norman wrote:
acinteyyo wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:On the adjective/noun distinction, are you saying that sankhara = sankhata dhamma?
I think you could say so.
If so, then logically the aggregates as a whole are sankhata dhamma.
Of course they are. If they wouldn't be conditioned/fabricated/dependent there wouldn't be any way out. When the cause for their arising ceases, they'll cease accordingly.
On one hand they are sankhārā as a whole because they are all fabricated and/or fabricate other dhammā, and on the other hand they are also sankhārā because ultimately they're based on upādāna (clinging), which is a volitional act out of avijjā (ignorance).

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

Inedible wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:15 pm Consciousness is one of the five aggregates. You start with form and feelings and end up with perceptions, impulses, and consciousness.

On a quick search, samskara aggregate translated as impulses seems to be found mainly (if not exclusively) in Mahayana literature. I like that usage too.

:heart:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

You caught me. I was just reading about how Thich Nhat Hanh had a new translation of The Heart Sutra in 2014. His book came out in 2017. It is one of the few Mahayana Sutras I really like and it seems to help connect with the actual experience of the aggregates to say impulses.
form

Post by form »

Dr W Rahula explained volition simply as willed, although he also quoted the list of 52 types in the abidhamma.

I see it as a mental response to a sensual input, unconscious (I.e. impulse, tendency, predisposition) or a conscious reaction like generating conscious greedy thoughts, a physical action or a plan to satisfy the desire.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

Inedible wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:44 am You caught me. I was just reading about how Thich Nhat Hanh had a new translation of The Heart Sutra in 2014. His book came out in 2017. It is one of the few Mahayana Sutras I really like and it seems to help connect with the actual experience of the aggregates to say impulses.

I love heart sutra too, it is like a beautiful poem:
  • Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:13 am ... I quite like the core ideas (imo) of the heart sutra which are not very hard to be understood from Theravada aspects; ...
:heart:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

The five aggregates can lead to Stream Entry. It is useful to be very clear about the direct experience of each of them. If you have to think about it you are reading the map, not walking the territory.
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

This is a great topic.

Am I this body? I can intellectually answer it is not me but mine at most, a possession of my self which without it I still am. Am I feelings? Perceptions? Deceitful, these I think I can easily conceptually say are not me nor mine.

What does define me, then? Well, through the years I keep looking for the same things, I'm on the same quest, I choose one kind of things over others, so in my case I could say this thread of (wobbling) volitions are myself. Even if all memories are lost, there's still a force of will I take as me. So, are these volitions which I'm referring to the sankhara-khandha? For regular, mortal guys like me (and some of you), one thing is for sure: There is something we take as self. So saying I'm my personality is fair for me. Is the sankhara-khandha our personality? How can we not take our volitions as us?

Reading this great thread of posts and the quoted B. Bodhi, I think our kammic (i.e., having a measure of greed, hatred and delusion) volitions build our future experience, i.e., our experience of the body, feelings, perceptions, consciousness of all these, and also new volitions (e.g., attention, energy, greed, hatred) as well. So we are not truly under control of them and (with the help of non-ignorance and non-craving) cannot be taken as self.

This is a great quote:
Bhikkhu Bodhi in Anicca Vata Sankhara wrote:... The active sankharas consisting in kammically active volitions perpetually create the sankhara of the five aggregates that constitute our being. As long as we continue to identify with the five aggregates (the work of ignorance) and to seek enjoyment in them (the work of craving), we go on spewing out the volitional formations that build up future combinations of aggregates...
Last edited by mjaviem on Mon May 17, 2021 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

And I want to add this quote too about

An act of will:
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa