83 problems in life (108 maybe?)

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
purple planet

83 problems in life (108 maybe?)

Post by purple planet »

http://www.examiner.com/article/buddhis ... th-problem
the 84th Problem

Once a man sought the Buddha for help with his life's problems. When the man found the Buddha he presented one of his problems and waited for the Buddha's solution. Much to his surprise, the Buddha simply replied that he cannot help the man with that problem.

The man tried a second problem and was given the same reply by the Buddha. And again to his third problem. Growing impatient the man spoke, "How can you be the Buddha, the perfectly Enlightened One, and not be able to help me with my problems?"

The Buddha replied, "You will always have 83 problems in your life. Some will go, others will come to replace them. I cannot help you with those."

The man was even more frustrated and confused, he asked the Buddha, "Then what can you help me with?"

The Buddha replied, "I can help you with your 84th problem."

The man, who was growing weary, asked, "What is my 84th problem?"

With great wisdom the Buddha said, "That you want to get rid of your 83 problems."
where does this come from - a sutta maybe ?

is this something that is found in abhidhamma (no need for quotes ect just to know if its supose to be real and not just a nice story)

(seems like a nice concept to have in my mind so i hope its true)
Last edited by purple planet on Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheNoBSBuddhist

Re: 83 problems in life (108 maybe?)

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

It may be Zen, but an online search through google is unfruitful... It's a parable, in the same way that the 3 monks going on a pilgrimage, is a parable...origins are obscure, but the meaning is for you to discern and learn from.
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Knowing the suttas, if the Buddha said there was "x" number of something, he would give a list of what those things are.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

There is a version of this story in Steve Hagen's book "Buddhism plain and simple".
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buddhism-Plain- ... and+simple

He doesn't reference it. I have never seen it in the suttas. I could be wrong, but it seems like a modern take on the craving to be free of suffering.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Also, 84,000 is a common number that is used in the suttas where it is used figuratively rather than literally. It's a long shot, but that might have something to do with it.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Sam Vara wrote:There is a version of this story in Steve Hagen's book "Buddhism plain and simple".
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buddhism-Plain- ... and+simple

He doesn't reference it. I have never seen it in the suttas. I could be wrong, but it seems like a modern take on the craving to be free of suffering.
I agree. There may be something vaguely similar in the suttas but I'm sure the story as given is modern.

:coffee:
Kim