What exactly is equanimity?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
thepea

Re: What exactly is equanimity?

Post by thepea »

barcsimalsi wrote: Not quite, i understand the term as possessing the ability to remain still during unfavorable situation.
If there is equiminity then one is not in an unfavorable situation, one is clearly seeing this moment as it is. Unfavorable suggests aversion/reactivity to this moment as it presents itself, this cannot be equiminity. As we move from gross to subtle reality the veils of ignorance fall away and luminous equiminity/purity of mind remains.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

barcsimalsi wrote:
SarathW wrote:Well!
Naked Jains.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaxlx7BZ-Zk
Nice video. :jumping:
Although naked ascetic are renunciate but that behavior probably originate from primate householder that's why the sutta implies they still have wrong views.
"Primate householder"?

:o

When I read that, I thought of non-humanoid apes.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Vesak
Can you describe house hold equanimity in your words with some examples?
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

"Now, O monks, what is worldly equanimity? There are these five cords of sensual desire: forms cognizable by the eye... tangibles cognizable by the body that are wished for and desired, agreeable and endearing, associated with sense desire and alluring. It is the equanimity that arises with regard to these five cords of sense desire which is called 'worldly equanimity.'

This world is full of suffering, so one must learn to live or bear with it eg. seeing an ex with another but no longer affected since meeting a new boy/girlfriend.

"Now, what is unworldy equanimity? With the abandoning of pleasure and pain, and with the previous disappearance of gladness and sadness, a monk enters upon and abides in the fourth meditative absorption, which has neither pain-nor-pleasure and has purity of mindfulness due to equanimity. This is called 'unworldly equanimity.'

This is equanimity from practising the jhanas

"And what is the still greater unworldly equanimity? When a taint-free monk looks upon his mind that is freed of greed, freed of hatred and freed of delusion, then there arises equanimity. This is called a 'still greater unworldly equanimity.'

Equanimity having seen the emptiness of phenomenon ie. impermanence, unsatisfactory, selfless nature.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nypo.html
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
vesak2014

Post by vesak2014 »

SarathW wrote:Hi Vesak
Hi, actually you have provided the examples:
SarathW wrote:Ok for an example,
-a three year old child kill a bug, without any anger or attachment.
-A person see a stranger dying in the roadside. He just walk away without any anger or attachment.
-We heard the news some people died due to war or some refugees drown in the sea. We just watch the news without any attachment or aversion.

Is that the household equanimity?
Pegembara has described household (worldly) equanimity.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

vesak2014 wrote:
SarathW wrote:Hi Vesak
Hi, actually you have provided the examples:
SarathW wrote:Ok for an example,
-a three year old child kill a bug, without any anger or attachment.
-A person see a stranger dying in the roadside. He just walk away without any anger or attachment.
-We heard the news some people died due to war or some refugees drown in the sea. We just watch the news without any attachment or aversion.

Is that the household equanimity?
Pegembara has described household (worldly) equanimity.
That is it? Subtle.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks Pegembra
Reading your reference, It appears to me that attachment to sense desire also called equanimity.
:shrug:
culaavuso

Re: Are there five senses or six senses?

Post by culaavuso »

vesak2014 wrote:
MN 137: Saḷāyatana­vibhaṅga Sutta wrote: And what are the six kinds of renunciation equanimity? The equanimity that arises when — experiencing the inconstancy of those very forms, their change, fading, & cessation — one sees with right discernment as it actually is that all forms, past or present, are inconstant, stressful, subject to change: This equanimity goes beyond form, which is why it is called renunciation equanimity. (Similarly with sounds, smells, tastes, tactile sensations, & ideas.)
After one sees with right discernment as it (vedanā) actually is, what happen to the vedanā, and/or the person?
The Pāḷi here is
Rūpānaṃ tveva aniccataṃ viditvā vipari­ṇāma­virāga­nirodhaṃ, ‘pubbe ceva rūpā etarahi ca sabbe te rūpā aniccā dukkhā vipari­ṇāma­dhammā’ti evametaṃ yathābhūtaṃ sammappaññāya passato uppajjati upekkhā.
Doesn't evametaṃ yathābhūtaṃ refer to the pubbe...vipari­ṇāma­dhammā phrase here, and not to vedanā? In other words, it's not just the feeling that is seen as it actually is, but rather that all forms, past or present, are inconstant, stressful, subject to change. It seems that the sutta is saying that the equanimity arising through this discernment that goes beyond the form itself is what constitutes renunciation equanimity. If it only meant seeing vedanā as it actually is, then it would seem to be an equanimity that does not go beyond feeling which would be similarly limited to household equanimity. This discernment that the sutta describes seems important to understand properly since it appears to be a motivating factor for renunciation (nekkham­ma­saṅkappa) as a component of Right Resolve (sammāsaṅkappa).
barcsimalsi

Post by barcsimalsi »

thepea wrote:
barcsimalsi wrote: Not quite, i understand the term as possessing the ability to remain still during unfavorable situation.
If there is equiminity then one is not in an unfavorable situation, one is clearly seeing this moment as it is. Unfavorable suggests aversion/reactivity to this moment as it presents itself, this cannot be equiminity. As we move from gross to subtle reality the veils of ignorance fall away and luminous equiminity/purity of mind remains.
To simplify it, it is accepting the unfavorable state.

In the context of practicing equanimity, the recognition of stress/unsatisfactoriness must be present in the first place regardless of renunciation or householder equanimity.

Mkoll wrote: When I read that, I thought of non-humanoid apes.
Haha right it was supposed to give you the impression of our common ancestor.
barcsimalsi

Post by barcsimalsi »

Imo, the difference between the 3 types of equanimity is based on the content of one's thought not the mental state.

For example in a road accident, if one's clothing was ripped off and forced to walk naked to the nearest gas station to seek help, one first realized the situation as unfavorable when people started laughing but one can still accept it by thinking it in certain ways for instance;

Household Equanimity
"i don't have to care for my reputation because this is not my hometown, no one knows me, yeh my body looks fine…"

While for a person who mastered the dhamma can choose to contemplate differently "this unpleasant feeling and embarrassing thought is not self, this naked form is not self…" this make up for renunciate equanimity.

As for the greater unworldly equanimity, it seems that it does not rely on contemplative effort anymore as the sutta suggested the higher knowledge is axiomatic to oneself.
thepea

Post by thepea »

barcsimalsi wrote:In the context of practicing equanimity, the recognition of stress/unsatisfactoriness must be present in the first place regardless of renunciation or householder equanimity.
I'm not sure you can practice equiminity any more than you can practice vipassana, you can simply be equanimous, or not, from one moment to the next. Being awareness and equanimous is the practice.
chownah

Post by chownah »

thepea,
I think I understand what you are saying.....but do you think that one can through mindfulness encourage the arising of equanimity?.....and if so then this might qualify as "practicing" equanimity. Sort of like the word practice here does not mean like practicing the piano but rather it could mean developing as part of our practice.
chownah
thepea

Post by thepea »

chownah wrote: but do you think that one can through mindfulness encourage the arising of equanimity?
I would say no, but I may be understanding "encourage" differently than you. I would say purity of mind is not dependent on anything.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I would say that equanimity arises due to mindfulness.
When you are mindful you see things in terms of impermanence, stress and Anatta.
That help you to develop an attitude free from attachment and aversion but with wisdom.
chownah

Post by chownah »

thepea,
What about this from the
SN 46.51 PTS: S v 102 CDB ii 1597 Ahara Sutta: Food (For the Factors for Awakening) translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu:

"And what is the food for the arising of unarisen equanimity as a factor for Awakening, or for the growth & increase of equanimity... once it has arisen? There are mental qualities that act as a foothold for equanimity as a factor for Awakening. To foster appropriate attention to them: This is the food for the arising of unarisen equanimity as a factor for Awakening, or for the growth & increase of equanimity as a factor for Awakening once it has arisen."

chownah