Can someone please post links to sutras decsribing hell and other realms?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ervin

Post by Ervin »

The title of the thread says it all. I am interested in reading sutras that describe hell, hungry ghost, gods and demigods realms.

Thanks
cooran

Re: Can someone please post links to sutras decsribing hell and other realms?

Post by cooran »

Hello Ervin,

Please search here:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/index-subject.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

A description of hell can be found in MN 130: Devadūta Sutta. A description of the heaven of the gods of the thirty-three can be found in MN 37: Cūḷataṇhā­saṅkhaya Sutta.
Ervin

Post by Ervin »

Thanks to both of you.

I can't see this king Yamaha and the rest literaly. I say that because isn't kamma supposed to automatically propel you to the rebirth.

Does anyone agree with me?

Thanks
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Ervin wrote:I can't see this king Yamaha and the rest literaly. I say that because isn't kamma supposed to automatically propel you to the rebirth.
But why should rebirth be limited to just human and animal realms? Just because we can see them with our naked eyes doesn't mean they're the only realms out there. Kamma is like fuel for the rocket. And the 6 realms (hell, afflicted spirit, animal, human, asura, and heavenly being) are like the operational altitudes. Good kamma is like a lot of fuel that can propel the rocket up high in the sky (the human level and upward) while bad kamma is like very low fuel to no fuel that limits it to very low altitudes or even stuck on the ground (animal level and downward)..
perkele

Post by perkele »

I think Ervin was speaking about the image of king Yama dragging a new prospective denizen down to hell, as opposed to his spontaneous rearising there ("... isn't kamma supposed to automatically propel you to the rebirth).
In the same vein there are stories about hosts of devas visiting an extraordinarily virtuous person at his deathbed and competing, as it were, over which group it is to take him to their heaven.
I take these both to be factual, although I think it does not have to be this way, and the "autonomous" way without interference from other beings might be more common as I imagine.
Pure speculation on my part, though.
Ervin

Post by Ervin »

Santa 100, you misunderstood me. I wasn't denying hell, I was just suggesting that the story of king Yamas interrogating and judging and certain beings carrying out the punishment was maybe a metaphor. That's all.

By the way, I checked out a bit on nibana and I might say to be honest it's the only way eternall and full contentment.

Thanks
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Check out the Petavatthu (Khuddaka Nikaya):

http://mahamevnawa.lk/inenglish/stories ... etavatthu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Oh sorry, thanks for the clarification... :smile:
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I'm glad this topic came up. Are the different hell realms (hungry ghosts, demons, etc.) and demigods, etc. considered part of Theravada? Or are those exclusive to Mahayana? Thanks to anyone who can help clarify.
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

Dragon Lady wrote:I'm glad this topic came up. Are the different hell realms (hungry ghosts, demons, etc.) and demigods, etc. considered part of Theravada? Or are those exclusive to Mahayana? Thanks to anyone who can help clarify.
On the Access to Insight site a number of Theravāda sources have been collected and summarized on the page Thirty-one Planes of Existence.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Ervin wrote:Santa 100, you misunderstood me. I wasn't denying hell, I was just suggesting that the story of king Yamas interrogating and judging and certain beings carrying out the punishment was maybe a metaphor. That's all.

By the way, I checked out a bit on nibana and I might say to be honest it's the only way eternall and full contentment.

Thanks
Yama appears in many cultures:
Wikipedia: Yama wrote:Mentioned by the Buddha in the Pali canon, Yama subsequently entered Buddhist, Chinese, Tibetan, Korean, Vietnam, Japanese mythology as a wrathful god under various transliterations.
Heck, he even appeared in his role of judging the dead in a Japanese anime I watched as kid, Dragonball Z!

~~~

In the end though, whether Yama actually judges the dead or not is a moot point because it is kamma that would be judged. The Buddha's teaching holds true in any case.
MN 135 wrote:"Student, beings are owners of kamma, heir to kamma, born of kamma, related through kamma, and have kamma as their arbitrator. Kamma is what creates distinctions among beings in terms of coarseness & refinement."
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Ordinaryperson

Post by Ordinaryperson »

I have been away from Dhamma Wheel for a while (2 to 3 years may be longer) until now. During that time I have encountered many things that appeared in my life (real) and in my dreams which were out of ordinary which I shall try to describe. As they were my dreams they are by no means accurate so please forgive me if you think I am talking nonsense. I am in the process of trying to find the source to confirm my dreams so bear with me.

The "stories" I am going to describe below are the ones I try to make sense of ... In my dreams sometimes I wondered around myself but on many occasions there was a monk(s) that would show me around. Just a quick summary.

As far as I can understand different realms take rebirth differently but one similarity is that just before rebirth they would stripe naked (those in upper hell realm and those before the heavenly realm - I think those are the realms). Those in the hell realm would take rebirth in a dark area like cave in darkness where everyone would stand naked while given a glass of water to drink (I think they were given a glass of water to drink but I can vaguely recall that) then I guess they take rebirth. Above hell realm rebirth would take place in a bright sunny area like in the big hall where everyone would chat away happily. Just before they entered the hall they would have to check in with the officials. Once in the hall they sit and wait happily. Those that arrived to take rebirth would be very happy with smiles all round chatting to each other. (I did not see the process of how they rebirth) But the moment they took their rebirth they would all leave their clothing behind and the hall would be empty.

In terms of hungry ghosts (which I assume them to be) they come in various shapes and looks. Some with big heads like those poor children or baby with "big head" illness? (not sure the medical term) They look like that. Very sad. The size of the head is about broader than or equal to the shoulders. Well at least the one that I dreamt of. The body is thin. While others have very long neck about 3 to 4 feet long flopping about but the body normal-ish. Others would have skeleton face but with hairs. Many others looked just like normal people but could be semi-transparent.

The question about instant rebirth I think have to do with time and space. That's my assumption anyway. It might be instant from our time and space but for the departed they could have been there for a while. My guess. If you look at the 32 (or 33 I cannot remember) realms you will notice that time and space can be very different. How that work I don't know.

Anyway, immediately after your death you need to report to a location ... my aunt died in January 2015. About 3 weeks later I dreamt of her in a place like prison cell (not as nice as the ones you have nowadays) with high windows and iron bars. The bed is made of concrete and everything was concrete while the room had dimmed lighting and rather dark. My aunt greeted me and spoke to me like normal but somehow I sensed that she was not in a good place. Immediately after my aunt disappeared from the scene in that dream (appear later) a lady whom I have not seen before and dressed in all white with long dark hair appeared (she looked very angry but in passive aggressive way). She did not say anything but simply sat on the concrete bed like bench. I got very angry when I saw her and my body heat up while she melted away (like the ones in the Indiana Jones movie). Then my aunt appeared again and same thing happened. One month or two month later, in one of my dream I was in a very bright hall with many doors surrounding me and the hall's main entrance has no doors so I could look out to the sky. Very bright sunny day. Then one of the door opened and my aunt appeared. She was dressed in white (shirt and 3/4 trousers something like that) and barefooted, smiling and looking happy while talking to me (cannot remember what she said now) and I noticed marks on her arms and ankles. Those marks on the wrist and ankles looked like someone who had been chained for a while i.e. bruised marks. There were also burnt marks on her arms and legs. When I wanted to touch her arms (actually I was proceeding to touch her) she told me not to because by touching her I would wake up. Well, she is my aunt and I was not bothered but to touch her and in that immediate instant I was woken up from my deep sleep. Therefore, I think she must have been released from "jail".

In my other dreams many years ago I think I must have dreamt of hell where I could see a pond/lake with so many death/dead people floating in all manner of death from babies to adult. Full of dead people. In one of the cave I remember dreaming of 4 to 6 people all dressed in with chains to their waist pulling a giant cart wheel. The chains had spikes and pierced their waists so they were all soaked with blood waist down. They all looked destitute and in sadness but not a whimper at all. At other location there were people all sitting and learning in a "classroom" in the cave. Dark and wet ...

In the heavenly realms (which I assume them to be) big mansions or houses or building float in the air and when you look down or look out you can see clouds. From there if you look down you can see semblance of city and villages. In another dreams I dreamt of visiting a place up in the mountain with so many monks as far as I could see. Not all worn the same colour robe i.e. some darker orange robe, yellow, saffron, light brown etc but they were all monks with shaven heads and male.

I had many more of dream but that's for next time.

If any of the Bhante or Bhikkhu could confirm the above the better. I have yet to meet Bhante Dhammanado. I hope I will one day.

:anjali:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
~Actively trying to destroy the Three Unwholesome Roots of Greed, Hatred and Ignorance~
~ Greed is the greatest danger of them all ~
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Ordinaryperson wrote:
I have been away from Dhamma Wheel for a while (2 to 3 years may be longer) until now. During that time I have encountered many things that appeared in my life (real) and in my dreams which were out of ordinary which I shall try to describe. As they were my dreams they are by no means accurate so please forgive me if you think I am talking nonsense. I am in the process of trying to find the source to confirm my dreams so bear with me.

The "stories" I am going to describe below are the ones I try to make sense of ... In my dreams sometimes I wondered around myself but on many occasions there was a monk(s) that would show me around. Just a quick summary.

As far as I can understand different realms take rebirth differently but one similarity is that just before rebirth they would stripe naked (those in upper hell realm and those before the heavenly realm - I think those are the realms). Those in the hell realm would take rebirth in a dark area like cave in darkness where everyone would stand naked while given a glass of water to drink (I think they were given a glass of water to drink but I can vaguely recall that) then I guess they take rebirth. Above hell realm rebirth would take place in a bright sunny area like in the big hall where everyone would chat away happily. Just before they entered the hall they would have to check in with the officials. Once in the hall they sit and wait happily. Those that arrived to take rebirth would be very happy with smiles all round chatting to each other. (I did not see the process of how they rebirth) But the moment they took their rebirth they would all leave their clothing behind and the hall would be empty.

In terms of hungry ghosts (which I assume them to be) they come in various shapes and looks. Some with big heads like those poor children or baby with "big head" illness? (not sure the medical term) They look like that. Very sad. The size of the head is about broader than or equal to the shoulders. Well at least the one that I dreamt of. The body is thin. While others have very long neck about 3 to 4 feet long flopping about but the body normal-ish. Others would have skeleton face but with hairs. Many others looked just like normal people but could be semi-transparent.

The question about instant rebirth I think have to do with time and space. That's my assumption anyway. It might be instant from our time and space but for the departed they could have been there for a while. My guess. If you look at the 32 (or 33 I cannot remember) realms you will notice that time and space can be very different. How that work I don't know.

Anyway, immediately after your death you need to report to a location ... my aunt died in January 2015. About 3 weeks later I dreamt of her in a place like prison cell (not as nice as the ones you have nowadays) with high windows and iron bars. The bed is made of concrete and everything was concrete while the room had dimmed lighting and rather dark. My aunt greeted me and spoke to me like normal but somehow I sensed that she was not in a good place. Immediately after my aunt disappeared from the scene in that dream (appear later) a lady whom I have not seen before and dressed in all white with long dark hair appeared (she looked very angry but in passive aggressive way). She did not say anything but simply sat on the concrete bed like bench. I got very angry when I saw her and my body heat up while she melted away (like the ones in the Indiana Jones movie). Then my aunt appeared again and same thing happened. One month or two month later, in one of my dream I was in a very bright hall with many doors surrounding me and the hall's main entrance has no doors so I could look out to the sky. Very bright sunny day. Then one of the door opened and my aunt appeared. She was dressed in white (shirt and 3/4 trousers something like that) and barefooted, smiling and looking happy while talking to me (cannot remember what she said now) and I noticed marks on her arms and ankles. Those marks on the wrist and ankles looked like someone who had been chained for a while i.e. bruised marks. There were also burnt marks on her arms and legs. When I wanted to touch her arms (actually I was proceeding to touch her) she told me not to because by touching her I would wake up. Well, she is my aunt and I was not bothered but to touch her and in that immediate instant I was woken up from my deep sleep. Therefore, I think she must have been released from "jail".

In my other dreams many years ago I think I must have dreamt of hell where I could see a pond/lake with so many death/dead people floating in all manner of death from babies to adult. Full of dead people. In one of the cave I remember dreaming of 4 to 6 people all dressed in with chains to their waist pulling a giant cart wheel. The chains had spikes and pierced their waists so they were all soaked with blood waist down. They all looked destitute and in sadness but not a whimper at all. At other location there were people all sitting and learning in a "classroom" in the cave. Dark and wet ...

In the heavenly realms (which I assume them to be) big mansions or houses or building float in the air and when you look down or look out you can see clouds. From there if you look down you can see semblance of city and villages. In another dreams I dreamt of visiting a place up in the mountain with so many monks as far as I could see. Not all worn the same colour robe i.e. some darker orange robe, yellow, saffron, light brown etc but they were all monks with shaven heads and male.

I had many more of dream but that's for next time.

If any of the Bhante or Bhikkhu could confirm the above the better. I have yet to meet Bhante Dhammanado. I hope I will one day.

Have you read Ajahn Lee's account of these realms?
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
Ordinaryperson

Post by Ordinaryperson »

Have you read Ajahn Lee's account of these realms
No, I have not.

Could you forward me the link please as I am researching on the locations of my dreams.

I think I might have visited several realms but I am not that sure.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
~Actively trying to destroy the Three Unwholesome Roots of Greed, Hatred and Ignorance~
~ Greed is the greatest danger of them all ~