Walking meditation and army marching?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Note the difference between army marching and walking meditation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngEhlYiM--E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmMnTHokLQo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
dagon

Re: Walking meditation and army marching?

Post by dagon »

Hi SarathW

Interesting subject for reflection. The issues presented by the videos are wider than meditation and marching. Have you considered the intoxicating effect of music - in this case the effect of marching under pipe and drum. Observing within the effect of the music can be a useful insight as to the effect of intoxicants and the effect on ones practice of any intention to submit to indulging in anything that causes intoxication.

metta

EDIT -replay the marching without sound and note the difference.
Pinetree

Post by Pinetree »

Is this a trick question ? I don't see the difference :(

Music has nothing to do with intoxication, it provides a rythm.
Leon-nl

Post by Leon-nl »

Music can be intoxicating and cause craving and attachment.

additional precepts:

"To abstain from dancing, singing, music and entertainments as well as refraining from the use of perfumes, ornaments and other items used to adorn or beautify the person."

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/budethics.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abstaining from music is also a rule monks follow.

Also see: http://budsas.blogspot.nl/2009/08/melod ... r-bad.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Look on the world as empty, Mogharāja, being always mindful.
Having removed wrong view of self, in this way one will cross beyond Death.
When looking on the world in this way the king of Death does not see one.” - Sn 5.15
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Short (3minutes) but direct instruction on walking meditation.

http://www.dharmaseed.org/teacher/8/talk/30193/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Recently I started practicing walking meditation.
Due to my chronic back pain, walking meditation is the most suitable for me.

After following the instructions from Ven, Vijithananda I felt that many of us have overlooked the most important aspect of walking meditation.
The most important objective of walking meditation is the knowledge of the elements. (Dathu Manasikara)
In walking meditation, your attention is only on your sole, not the ground.
You do not think that your sole is touching the sand, grass or cement ground.
You experience the sensation of your sole (the bottom of the foot) as heat, cold, hard-soft, etc.
Dathu Manasikara is the direct route to eliminate route (Mula Lobha, Devesha,Moha) or the latent tendencies (Anusaya)
This matter is discussed in the OP video. But this important factor is hidden away by other details in my opinion.
Please share your experience.

What is Dathu Manasikara?

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36098&p=540063&hilit=
chownah

Post by chownah »

SarathW wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:11 pm Walking meditation and army marching?

Note the difference between army marching and walking meditation.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It seems like you are comparing apples and oranges.....maybe it would be better to compare walking meditation as shown in your video and a military walking meditation. Here is a video of the professor performing Tai Chi Chuan which he taught at the chinese Central Military Academy during the Sino Japanese War. At that time the Central Military Academy was the chinese equivalent to america's West Point Military Academy:

chownah
form

Post by form »

Walking meditation is more like taichi and closely linked to foundation of mindfulness. Whereas marching is nothing like it.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Here is a video of the professor performing Tai Chi Chuan which he taught at the chinese Central Military Academy during the Sino Japanese War.
It is a great video. I do not know Tai Chi. But I wonder whether it is any closer to Satipathana.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

SarathW wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:07 am The most important objective of walking meditation is the knowledge of the elements. (Dathu Manasikara)
You experience the sensation of your sole (the bottom of the foot) as heat, cold, hard-soft, etc. ...
There are many ways of approaching this. One can focus on the movement (which I guess you could interpret as air element). One can see how the mind reacts to the sensations. One can examine the intention (to raise, move, lower, the foot). One can note seeing as various objects come into view, and hearing as various sounds occur. Some teachers teach focusing on breathing or loving kindness while walking.

Touching the ground is an useful opportunity of observing internal and external earth element (for example, as in Bhikkhu Analyo's suggestions in his first "mindfully facing climate change" meditationhttps://www.buddhistinquiry.org/resourc ... layo-mfcc/), which is a very useful part of element meditation as it breaks down the self-other duality...

:heart:
Mike
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

What is important to remember is the phrases such as "Kaye Kayanupassana"
You should experience the body with the body, not with the mind. (ie. Fox see the fox not monkey see the fox)
Imagine a person walking with only using the body but other five senses are disabled.
chownah

Post by chownah »

mikenz66 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:54 pm
SarathW wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:07 am The most important objective of walking meditation is the knowledge of the elements. (Dathu Manasikara)
You experience the sensation of your sole (the bottom of the foot) as heat, cold, hard-soft, etc. ...
There are many ways of approaching this. One can focus on the movement (which I guess you could interpret as air element). One can see how the mind reacts to the sensations. One can examine the intention (to raise, move, lower, the foot). One can note seeing as various objects come into view, and hearing as various sounds occur. Some teachers teach focusing on breathing or loving kindness while walking.

Touching the ground is an useful opportunity of observing internal and external earth element (for example, as in Bhikkhu Analyo's suggestions in his first "mindfully facing climate change" meditationhttps://www.buddhistinquiry.org/resourc ... layo-mfcc/), which is a very useful part of element meditation as it breaks down the self-other duality...

:heart:
Mike
INdeed there are many approaches to this. One way is to think of right view with effluents and right view without effluents.....for instance.....focusing on what is being done can be seen as right view with effluents while focusing on the emptiness can be seen as right view without effluents. When focusing on what is being done one is focusing on self and so it leads to further becoming.....when focusing on the emptiness one is clearing the mind of all obstacles to seeing the way things really are.....I guess....don't know for sure.....
chownah
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

One way is to think of right view with effluents and right view without effluents
Agree.
I was thinking in terms with a right view without effluents.