Is all knowledge connected to the goal?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
ihrjordan

Is all knowledge connected to the goal?

Post by ihrjordan »

I understand knowledge of any sort to serve the purpose of meaningful action or in other terms: inspiration. When we read or hear the Dhamma it is so that we may gain confidence in our ability to progress or that we may be inspired from stories of past success. The Dhamma is basically shorthand for "how reality operates", so if we all experience the same reality and it is from such experience that wordly knowledge is gained e.g studying, discussing, experimenting. then who is to say that other forms of "knowledge" can't always be interpreted in such a way so as to be "connected with the Dhamma"?

When I say knowledge I don't necessarily mean just cold, hard scientific facts; I include everything from fictional stories (which will always spring from a basis in reality) to even daily news.

What's stopping one who knows Dhamma from non-dhamma ( Possesing either mundane or supermundane knowledge of four noble truth's) from never reading or hearing authentic dhamma again but instead listening, reading and studying only secular and fictional information (tales of knights, sci-fi, crime novels, scientific papers) and still deriving from them the inspiration to practice rightly?

If all of reality as we experience it is Dhamma, why isn't all knowledge connected with the goal?

Is the only thing stopping a non-Buddhist from practicing rightly the lack of exposure and conviction in the four noble truths?
SarathW

Re: Is all knowledge connected to the goal?

Post by SarathW »

No all knowledge are not connected to the goal (Nibbana).
Even the highest of mundane knowlege Neither perception nor non perception is not connected with the goal.
The knowledge of cessation of perception of feeling is the knowledge related to the goal.
So it is known as Right Knowledge and Right Release.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
subaru

Post by subaru »

ihrjordan wrote:
Is the only thing stopping a non-Buddhist from practicing rightly the lack of exposure and conviction in the four noble truths?
I believe, non-Buddhist are not short changed. If a Christian occupies his mind with thoughts about God and nothing else, that is ekagata (one pointedness), if he dies when his mind is fully focused on God... would you like to take a guess where he will be reborn? :tongue:

He has high chances to be reborn in Deva realm if his mind is pure and serene at the moment of death. So the heavenly promises is not a hoax

Ofcourse, he will find out later that even his heavenly realm ain't permanent :tongue:
:candle:
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

ihrjordan wrote: Is the only thing stopping a non-Buddhist from practicing rightly the lack of exposure and conviction in the four noble truths?
Is the 4NT known exclusively by Buddhists? Is it not possible that a devout person from another religion (or even an atheist) may stumble upon them while contemplating existence?

For example - craving for and clinging bring suffering. Do you need Buddhism to figure that out? No. To take the middle path between extremes -- that also is more or less common sense (there is a word for it also - moderation).

Of course such a person will not stumble across rebirth during contemplation but well not all Buddhists believe in rebirth either.
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus