Q&A Forum: PATICCA SAMUPPADA by Bhante Punnaji

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Controversial and thought provoking analysis of Dependent Origination.
Please discuss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVxEJJwsMuM
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Spiny Norman

Re: Q&A Forum: PATICCA SAMUPPADA by Bhante Punnaji

Post by Spiny Norman »

SarathW wrote:Q&A Forum: PATICCA SAMUPPADA by Bhante Punnaji

Controversial and thought provoking analysis of Dependent Origination.
Please discuss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVxEJJwsMuM
It's a long talk. Could you give some indication of what is controversial in this presentation?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Spiney
Unfortunately you have to listen to the whole video.
Basically he got a completely different interpretation of all the limbs of Dependent Origination.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Most hilarious example of trying to translate Pali in to English.
If you watch this you will never criticise some one about his/her different translations.
He says there are two type of thinking, visual and verbal.
We have to change the visual thinking in order to eliminate anger.
It appears there are thinking (want to observe five precepts) and an emotional (want to break the five precepts) part in our brain. A child has only the emotional part and the thinking part develops when he is say six to seven years old. Even if he is an adult ,Still the thinking part does not know how to gain the control of emotional part. Meditation is the only way to gain control over emotional part. That strength called Viriya (effort). This is called Dhamma Vijaya. (winner of Dhamma)
At this stage Pity arises (cognitive contentment of the mind) with pithy the Sukaha (Body contentment arises)
At this stage unification of mind or cognitive consonant (one pointedness seems inadequate) occurs. That is the unification of the thinking and emotion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilUZi36QIUo
Last edited by SarathW on Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:42 am, edited 6 times in total.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

There are some attached notes on the video:
Published on May 16, 2016
Q&A Forum with Ven. Dr. M. Punnaji Maha Thera at the Buddhist Maha Vihara, Brickfields, on Wednesday 11th May 2016 on "Paṭicca-Samuppāda". Please refer to attached notes for reference.

Download reference notes: http://tiny.cc/paticcasamuppada
Download sutta AN10.6: http://tiny.cc/AN10-6
It would be useful to have a bit more detail, so members could decide whether is was worth spending an hour or so watching it.

:anjali:
Mike
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Mike,

Thanks, those reference notes were really useful in helping me get an understanding of what the video would be about.

Sarath - If you're unable explain what you learned or found interesting from a 90 minute video, it's not really a particularly good advertisement for why we should invest so much time in watching it, is it? Please reflect on this consideration before posting videos... it would be useful to at least give a summary, or for you to more consciously initiate a discussion about it rather than simply say "discuss". Thanks.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

Worth noting that if you click on the gear icon in the bottom right-hand side of the youtube window, then choose "speed", then choose "2", it will play at double speed. So it's really only 45 minutes! :)
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

At 15 minutes, the speaker claims privileged ability to translate from Pali, relative to Rhys Davies, because Davies was an Englishman, and he is an Indian.

I would be happy to stipulate that Davies got many things wrong, but that is not much of an argument.

SarathW, did you learn anything in the talk which will effect how you practice? If so, do you have rough timestamps where he discusses those things?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Mike and Paul
I have made an attempt to summarise the talk in the video " five hindrances".
Does this help at all.
I enjoyed listening to Dhamma talk.
It is an hour of meditation for me.
I am not sure if i am doing any service by summarising the talk if the members take my summary as the final and decided not to listen to the video.
:anjali:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

fivebells wrote:Worth noting that if you click on the gear icon in the bottom right-hand side of the youtube window, then choose "speed", then choose "2", it will play at double speed. So it's really only 45 minutes! :)
:goodpost:
chownah

Post by chownah »

fivebells wrote:At 15 minutes, the speaker claims privileged ability to translate from Pali, relative to Rhys Davies, because Davies was an Englishman, and he is an Indian.
I watched part of the video and I think that the speaker claims that davies is at a disadvantage linguistically having had english as the primary language whereas the speaker has (I believe he said) sri lankan as the primary language which is very similar to the pali and so this is an advantage. I am not making any statement supporting or denying this line of reasoning and I am just pointing out that the speaker did not frame the issue in nationalistic terms but in linguistic terms.
chownah
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

It's a long talk. Could you give some indication of what is controversial in this presentation?
Paticca Samuppada (Concise) by Bhante Punnaji

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwX7-i3r77U