I have a question concerning bowing to monks

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
chris98e

I have a question concerning bowing to monks

Post by chris98e »

My question is when giving salutations to a monk are you supposed to bow with an Anjali, give an Anjali and not bow, or is either one acceptable?
SarathW

Re: I have a question concerning bowing to monks

Post by SarathW »

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

chris98e wrote:My question is when giving salutations to a monk are you supposed to bow with an Anjali, give an Anjali and not bow, or is either one acceptable?
I prefer "Gidday mate" and a handshake, but any of those you mentioned will do. I'm so tired of all this bowing nonsense. :thinking:
Before I came to a monastery I had never bowed to anyone in my life, not the Prime Minister, not the Queen, nobody. I still find it smells of cringing and submission, not veneration and respect. I guess that's my western anti-classist egalitarian secular upbringing.

But anyway....

It varies by country and tradition, but at my western forest monastery the laypeople kneel down, do one anjali, and then into three bows, finished by an anjali.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I had never bowed to anyone in my life
Don't you bowing to your teacher Ajahan Braham or Buddha?
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

There is a range of formality. The most formal would be to bow 3 times . This can be employed, say at a Dhamma talk. But if you are passing a monk in the corridor, just putting your palms in anjali or a nod of the head is fine.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

SarathW wrote: Don't you bowing to your teacher Ajahan Braham or Buddha?
Yes, I do now of course. I still find it strange sometimes however.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

This is Brian Ruhe, a devoted discipline of Nazism and White Supremacism. Just goes to show that even a broken clock is right twice daily.

And you can substitute my phraseology of "two times", implicit in my mention of the word "twice", for any number of times. People who are perceived as "broken clocks" on issues perceived as "tangential and unrelated" to the Buddhadharma are still capable of transmitting "authentic" Buddhadharma in specific capacities.
Vairocana Mahākāruṇika manifested the ākāśasamādhi that illuminates the Svābhāvika, that illuminates the root source of Buddhatva, manifested the samādhi that illuminates the Dharmakāya. To the assembled many he revealed this samādhi.

He then spoke:

"I have cultivated for endless aeons these dharmas and, with this as condition, I first abandoned the way of the worldlings and attained that gnosis which is consummate, which is highest, taking on the name of Vairocana and dwelling here in the Lotus Vault, in the Womb of the World-Systems, in the Ocean."

(T1484.997b12)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

This is Brian Ruhe, a devoted discipline of Nazism and White Supremacism.
May be.
But if you see the video he is very much a devoted Buddhist.
They all just mind moments!
chris98e

Post by chris98e »

Thank You all for your insights and thoughts. :thanks: :popcorn: